Anyone having zigbee issues?

5 posts in this topic

For the last week or so I keep getting alerts that some devices were dropping off the network, then a couple hours later they'd be back. With one exception, one door sensor needed replacement. Then yesterday my orbit hose end dropped off and I can't get it back on. I tried pulling the batteries, replacing them and adding a repeater in between. No luck. But I did see one time the unit appeared to connect since the signal indicator lit up and the time changed...but nothing shows in hub history.

Anyone else experiencing weird stability issues lately? 

Thanks for confirming. Because of that I went back out to take a closer look. While it was keeping time, opening manually etc i noticed something funny on the display. There appeared to be a line. So i removed it and took it inside and realized it was full of water. It is actually a pretty bad design. There are no seals for the hose end connections so any rain sitting on top will make its way in. Also if you hose end connection is leaking you will dump all of that inside. While they sealed the pcb board cover edges the screw holes are not sealed nor is the opening for the battery. Since the battery cover seals to the outside cover and not this pcb cover there is nothing to stop water from migrating. Surprisingly I also found some larger debris inside so the leak points must be bigger than they look. 

If this dries out and reconnects I am going to seal those screw holes in the pcb cover,  seal the pcb cover to the outer cover and add another weep hole. My unit is mounted on a splitter, so the low spot is where the hose comes out, but the weep holes are on the other side.

If I get it working I will post up some pictures.

Well it turns out I was wrong in my previous post; the battery tray seals to the PCB cover. So the only pathway for water to get through are the screw holes. But something doesn't add up for me, typically a screw into plastic seals pretty well since a tightened screw tends to stretch the plastic creating a better seal. Either way, if this dries up and the connection can be re-established I will pot those screws to make sure nothing gets through. As you can see in the pics below, the light gray PCB cover is potted to the housing using a dark gray potting material which is also used for the solenoid wire pass thru. I will also likely add some PTFE based seal conditioner to the battery tray to make sure it is sealing properly. As you can see in that pic there is a small amount of debris inside which must have come through the hose end connections. That just has an overlap to try to keep material out. It looks like it should be good for debris but not water. This is further complicated by my installation. Normally your spigot points straight down, so the included weep holes should drain anything that leaks in from the top. In my case the Orbit is connected to a Y which means it is canted and those weep holes end up not being the low side. So I will likely drill a small hole in the bottom corner to make sure there is a good drain. I think it will also be prudent to test the hose connection tube since the solenoid valve has a seal that could leak.  

20180806_170849.jpg

20180806_170953.jpg

20180806_171025.jpg

So everything dried out and I added an extra housing. Then I tested the valve body to make sure it wasn't leaking and it was fine. So most likely this failure was due to the heavy rains we got this year. Probably not enough time between storms to dry out. Anyway after getting it together and seeing the antenna icon light up to pair I figured I was good. But no matter what I did it would never reconnect. Well I finally had more time to play with it and found all I needed to do was force remove the Orbit then repair. Now all seems as it should. Not sure where the original pairing went wrong but I assume it was something like a reset on the Orbit. So all is good now. If you run into this look to add another drain and let the unit air out for a few days...you might get lucky.