Iris, tell me when my washing machine stops please.
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I imagine new home appliances (washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc) are now getting smarter and are communicating with the IoT.

Meanwhile, my older washer and dryer do not.

Anyone come up with an after-market DIY method of alerting Iris when the washing machine or clothes dryer complete their work?

Complicating this I think is that my washing machine (as most are) is powered by 110V, but my electric dryer is 220V.  (I use a smart switch to remotely control a window AC in my basement, but that would never do for the clothes dryer.)

My apologies if this has already been asked.  

thanks in advance for any shared wisdom.

Not sure how to help you on the dryer but you could put a smart plug on the washer and have it send you a push notification when the electricity draw drops below a certain amount.

Only problem I found with that was, the washer pauses between cycles dropping the power. I used SmartThing with one plug only for this reason. Our laundry room was outside at our old house and the wife wanted to know when it was done. I was able to tell it to wait before sending when the power stayed below for 5 seconds or something. Every washer is different, it might work for yours though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my experience so far ... every time the washing machine pauses for any reason (changing cycle, etc.), the power usage drops and triggers an alert.

Using the mobile app interface, the lowest threshold I can set is 20W, so it doesn't know the difference between a pause / low-wattage cycle change and a "load finished" condition.

I'll look into the delay you mentioned.  I don't recall seeing that option when creating the rule.  If you can help zero me in to it, I'd appreciate it.

5 hours ago, synack said:

That's my experience so far ... every time the washing machine pauses for any reason (changing cycle, etc.), the power usage drops and triggers an alert.

Using the mobile app interface, the lowest threshold I can set is 20W, so it doesn't know the difference between a pause / low-wattage cycle change and a "load finished" condition.

I'll look into the delay you mentioned.  I don't recall seeing that option when creating the rule.  If you can help zero me in to it, I'd appreciate it.

He's talking about using the Smart Thing platform.

He's talking about using the Smart Thing platform.

Yeah I had to put that one and only device on ST to get that working for my wife. Now my Aeon power monitor is on it since Iris won’t support it anymore 🤦‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the Sense energy monitor. You can have it send you a notification or email when anything turns on or off, or has been running for x number of minutes.

Sense is totally separate from Iris, they do not interconnect.