Cameras discontinued? Whats going on with iris?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I'm not seeing the indoor/outdoor camera listed on the iris website or lowes website anymore.
Last night we had 3 neighbors who's homes were broken into, so I was going to run to lowes to add a second outdoor camera to cover a side of my house that is vulnerable. I was surprised to see that they seem to no longer sell the cameras.
I found that you can order the old version of the outdoor camera if you search on google to find the link, but searching the Lowe's website does not return a result. 

Seems odd that they would just discontinue the cameras without releasing a replacement... Between this and the lack of updates and new features recently, it really makes me concerned out the future of the platform.
I remember when I could spend an hour or two a day reading the discussions here, but lately there are rarely more than a couple of posts every week.

They do this with most of their devices when they are sure their replacing them, they stop production ahead of having the new ones on the market and sell out of their stock.  Probably so they don't have a bunch of returns when people just bought a "new" old model camera days before or in some cases months before they new model releases.  It's annoying sometimes.

Lowe’s posted on the official forum that a new camera is coming out in the fall.  

I agree it’s annoying to not have stock,  but I’m super excited as a new camera has long been on the wish list.  

Any speculation to what it could offer ?    I think adjustable sensativity would be high on my list.  

Rumor is that they are going to partner with Swann for a camera solution.  I guess we'll just have to wait see if this comes to fruition.  Personally I've never been a fan of what Swann has to offer.

I've found weird deals on the Iris cameras. I picked up an Outdoor cam about a 2 months ago for $40--it had been opened, but was still in plastic. Then, about a 2 weeks ago, I was screwing around on lowes.com and found one Indoor cam for $22 at a store in the next town over. I figured it would be open box, and when I got to the store there was a crappy worn empty box on the display as a placeholder. I took it and checked out and they brought out a pristine camera still shrink wrapped.

Both work great. But my old one (Indoor, was an open box too--I go for cheap) gets hot sometimes and went out a few days ago. It's back online now. Overall, I have 3 cameras for about the price of one (if the old one keeps working).

For what it's worth, I've also caught deals on other devices. The older Z-Wave devices--the GE/Jasco switches have gone down to around $20 and I picked up several, as well as one older fan switch. I also found a gen 2 smart button for $5, a gen 2 door sensor for $5, a water leak detector (Ultitech I believe? I'm at work) for $9.

I'm always looking for deals, ha. And I try to get the ones that would work with other systems, just in case. I hope this isn't a sign about a looming announcement and sunset.

J.