Iris 3.0 (Yes, it exists)
3 3

64 posts in this topic

Update on the cameras, apparently the hub has to be hooked to Ethernet (hardwired) for the cameras to connect during the pairing process. Tech support is making a note of it and forwarding it to some team, I’m sure it isn’t supposed to be like that. Also I have a problem that she is forwarding and it is a big one, I think. If the hub is connected over WiFi and you reboot it, it won’t connect back to WiFi until you plug an Ethernet cable in. Not sure if it is just my hub but that seems like a pretty big issue to me. Hopefully they will resolve it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@accessdenied79
Can you confirm existence of a USB port for the cellular adapter?
I'm assuming it's there somewhere, and if so, is it recessed into the bottom in a way that the adapter will not stick out the side of the unit? I hate the way it sticks out the back of the current hub.
Would it be possible to mount this to the ceiling? (does it have keyhole slots on it?)
Thanks for any of these questions you can answer!

Anyone that will... can you please visit this thread and give kudos to my post?
We really need a migration tool for the new hub. I'm not about to redo all my rules, recreate my scenes, re-pair all my devices, etc... "Aint nobody got time for that" haha
I'm sure others will avoid purchasing the new hub for the same reason.
https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Why-can-we-no-longer-migrate-hubs/idi-p/5922

8 hours ago, Smitho said:

@accessdenied79
I'm assuming it's there somewhere, and if so, is it recessed into the bottom in a way that the adapter will not stick out the side of the unit? I hate the way it sticks out the back of the current hub.
Would it be possible to mount this to the ceiling? (does it have keyhole slots on it?)

Here is a solution to your usb cellular adapter problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018CA2A0W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[mention=143]accessdenied79[/mention]

Yes it does have ONE USB port on it. It is under the horseshoe part of the bottom beside the power and Ethernet.

Yes it will be hidden under the hub, I will reply with a picture in a min.

No, there isn’t any keyhole slots in it but they FINALLY put an anti skid pad on the bottom and it really stays put!

@accessdenied79
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking to see.
Unfortunately I think they missed an opportunity by not putting keyhole slots in the bottom. It would be really nice to have the option to mount it to the ceiling. I would love to have it mounted in a centrally located hallway... however, I'm not sure how many people would go through the trouble to run power to it in a situation like that... maybe POE would have been nice. I won't be picky though, it's just nice to have an option with audible alerts.
I'm curious, does it do anything different on a "doorbell chime"? Since it has a speaker now, it would be really nice if an update in the future actually allows you to trigger different chimes and tones.

[mention=143]accessdenied79[/mention]
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking to see.
Unfortunately I think they missed an opportunity by not putting keyhole slots in the bottom. It would be really nice to have the option to mount it to the ceiling. I would love to have it mounted in a centrally located hallway... however, I'm not sure how many people would go through the trouble to run power to it in a situation like that... maybe POE would have been nice. I won't be picky though, it's just nice to have an option with audible alerts.
I'm curious, does it do anything different on a "doorbell chime"? Since it has a speaker now, it would be really nice if an update in the future actually allows you to trigger different chimes and tones.

It does the same chime for doorbell and open contact as the older hub, I will double check again when I get home. I think it might have been on the default rule to beep hub. I did notice that the alarm tone has changed to something that sounds like an alarm now. I forgot to turn my alarm off from the indoor cameras and it went off. The cat took off running haha. I will see if I can record audio and put it on here.

2 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

I did notice that the alarm tone has changed to something that sounds like an alarm now.

If so, that is a great improvement and also gives hope that they could do a door bell sound with an update in the future.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:09 AM, accessdenied79 said:

I noticed something very strange when working around the house with it. I laid my phone on top of it while moving to a new location and my Apple Pay screen came up like there is a NFC payment system in it.

New revenue stream for Lowes!

Well, I took the plunge and purchased one of the V3 hubs. I thought I would share my experiences.

First, on the purchasing experience…I went to a local Lowe's and there was no mention of the V3 hub. There did appear to be a couple new V3 devices, but no hub. I asked one of the Lowe's employees about it and showed them the page on their website, which indicated that this store was supposed to have one in stock. After some poking around, they did find that they had two locked up in "the cage".  It's interesting that there's yet to be much information provided on this device.

Now on to the transition….First off, I don't have a huge system. I'm in a rather small single story house and have 39 devices.  Most of them date back to V1, with a few V2.  Unfortunately, as has already been lamented in this thread, there is no automated transitioning procedure for going from V2 to V3. Per instructions, you are directed to:

1) Remove the V2 hub from system (which "removes" all devices)

2) Take screenshot of Rules and then delete them

3) Take screenshot of Scenes and then delete them

4) Pair the V3 hub

5) Pair devices to the V3 Hub

6) Add rules, scenes and schedules

They give some estimates for how much time to set aside to perform the transition.  To cut to the chase, this became an all day (and night) activity for me. Most of that time being spent on a couple of main issues.  I started with transitioning all the contact sensors, then motion sensors, and then various other sensors. These all went pretty smoothly, but each device did have to be reset before they could be repaired, which did take some time. Then I got to the keypads. I have three V1 keypads and one V2 keypad. The first V1 went pretty smoothly and the next two took a little more effort to get them into the pairing mode. Then I hit the V2 keypad. This one took hours! It even resulted in a call to Iris, which didn't solve the problem and required a future call-back. The device simply would not go into the pairing mode. Somehow, trying all various strange combinations and tricks, I finally got it to pair. Then there was the last major hurdle…re-pairing to GE Z-Wave switches and sockets. No matter what I did, none of the devices would pair with the new hub.  It then dawned on me that these devices could have been orphaned by the removal of the V2 hub.  Whether it was necessary or not, I reinstalled the V2 hub as different place and then using Z-Wave tools, systematically used the Remove Z-Wave feature to remove each of the orphaned devices. After doing this, I was then able to successfully repair them to the V3 hub.  From there, I completed the transition by adding back my rules and scenes.

All the above isn't necessarily unique to the V3 hub, but the experience did lead me to some conclusions that may be helpful to others planning on making the transition. Additionally, after completing the transition, it's unclear how I'm better off, other than that I now have a talking hub like we had in V1 :). I presently DON'T have any wireless communication to the hub, due to the way it was configured. This leads into my recommendations.

First, if you want wireless capability, make sure you DO NOT connect the Ethernet port of the hub during initial set-up and DO perform the configuration from a phone app and not via the web portal.  I didn't set it up in this manner, as I saw no such guidance. It turns out that if you initially use the Ethernet port (and web portal), it will use this and not enable the Bluetooth and WiFi communications. I was told this (after the fact) by Iris technical support. They stated that they could enable them remotely, but currently there's no configuration option for the user (perhaps a future capability?).

Second, based on my orphaned Z-Wave issue, I would recommend cleanly removing all your devices from the network BEFORE disabling the V2 hub. I think had I done this, I would have saved quite a bit of time.

Lastly, since you will have to reconfigure your whole system, take as many screenshots as necessary to adequately capture the WAS condition. Don't forget the schedules (not mentioned in the installation guidance), else your memory may be taxed, as was mine.

Sorry this was so longwinded, but hopefully others will benefit.  Here's also hoping that the future brings new capabilities that makes transitioning from V2 to V3 worthwhile.

I believe you should be able to use the z-wave removal feature on the new hub to remove orphaned devices, I've used that to move some back from SmartThings before rather than using the equivalent feature on the SmartThings side.

I didn’t follow the instructions with mine, I created a new place for my new hub then un-paired a device, re-paired to the new hub and then went on to the next one. I setup rules last after everything was moved over. I did mine this way in case I had to stop, I wouldn’t have devices that didn’t work and I couldn’t control. This worked very well for me, also saved a ton of time by not having to reset devices, especially the water shut off valve under the house. I unpaired it and it was ready to pair back to the new hub. I did the wireless option, as I wanted to carry the hub to each one of my devices and pair it within feet of the switch, outlets, and other devices. Battery/wireless is great for this (except pairing cameras).

I've been having some issues with all my keypads since migrating to the V3 hub.  As I mentioned previously, I have three V1 keypads and one V2 keypad.  The last few days the chimes (and visual feedback)  coming from the keypads may be delayed significantly from when the activity occurs. In the past, it wasn't unusual to have a second or two difference between all the keypads, but now I'm sometimes seeing a minute or two. When I first started noticing this, I tried restarting the hub, and it seemed to take care of the problem, but then after a while it would reoccur. I've now tried removing and re-pairing the keypads, but I think the problem is still there. I have another callback pending from Tier 2 support.  This is a significant issue since I'm using the professional monitoring service.  My wife was really confused when she tried setting the alarm this morning.

I’m having some odd behavior also. My V3 won’t process scenes all the way and will have to be ran several times. I put a bug report in on the other site so we will see. I think it has to do with some sluggishness which might be your alarm problem also.

Got my v3 hub switched over a few days ago...today it has been switching between ethernet and cellular all day? finally unplugged the modem and it seems to have stopped. anyone else using the cellular modem with V3 hub? I was getting notifications but there were no entries in the history log ?

On 10/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, Otto Mation said:

The developers are aware of the keypad issues and are working on a solution which is being tested.  All said we are in much better shape with early V3 days than we were with early V2 days. Way fewer problems.

It seems that the keypad issue may have been improved/corrected. Over the past few days, I don't seem to be having the drastic lag in response. Perhaps a new firmware version was pushed-out? I'm at V3.0.1.022 and have been there for serveral days. I forgot to check the version number when I first installed last weekend.

One odd thing that I am noticing is that per the app or webpage, the hub seems to be frequently (several times a day) reseting itself. In fact, as I was writing this and looking in the app at the "Online Since" entry on the hub, I was seeing 0d, 0hrs, 34mins. Then I got a red banner saying Hub Offline (or something similar). I looked at the hub and noticed the purple swirling light (hub is booting up) indication, and immediately thereafter, observed a 0d, 0hrs, 0mins connection time.