Iris 3.0 (Yes, it exists)
3 3

64 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, sparc said:

How about when they shut down support for the 2G hubs, will that do it?

Without a migration tool I would be hard pressed to stick with Iris. I am just too jealous of all the cool stuff my friends are doing with ST. If I have to spend time and more money to keep it running I think I would jump ship. The only hesitation I have is the large number of gen 1 products I currently have. 

Hi.  I haven't been on this forum for a couple of years, since everything has been working well enough...  I'm bummed out that it appears we need to move to yet another hub.  I am away from my house for long periods of time and I can't babysit a new hub and any bugs that might appear.  Reliability is very important.  I suppose it's too early for anyone to know the answer to my question but - I wonder how long it will be before migration to the new hub is mandatory?  I'm hoping that I have 'til June to make the transition.  Any thoughts on this?

I do not think migration to the V3 hub will become mandatory.  I do believe the current V2 product line will cease to exist over time. The only negative I see in this is currently none of the V3 devices support energy reporting so if that is important I suggest you stock up on V1 and V2 devices that do report energy.

I recently migrated about 165 devices over to V3 and excluding some minor issues with the V1 (Alertme) devices all went well and has been rock solid for the last week or so.

The V3 devices are backward compatible with the V2 hub.

13 hours ago, scunny said:

I do not think migration to the V3 hub will become mandatory.  I do believe the current V2 product line will cease to exist over time. The only negative I see in this is currently none of the V3 devices support energy reporting so if that is important I suggest you stock up on V1 and V2 devices that do report energy.

I recently migrated about 165 devices over to V3 and excluding some minor issues with the V1 (Alertme) devices all went well and has been rock solid for the last week or so.

The V3 devices are backward compatible with the V2 hub.

I hope you're right about not having to upgrade to the new hub.  Glad to hear that the migration went well.  Maybe over time I'll take a good look at the new hub decide to upgrade.  Meanwhile, all of the bugs can be worked out.  I'm amazed that Lowes has continued this platform for so long.  There is a lot of competition out there and I can't imagine that Lowes sells that many systems.  

I could be wrong, but I'm really surprised about all the talk about forced upgrades and compatibility...

Sure V1 -> V2 was an entire "platform"  change,  not just the hub

Unless I'm missing something,  V3 is simply a new model,  ex "prettier looking",  has wifi, and a speaker.   

If my existing system is working,  I'd see absolutely no reason to change and no reason to think it won't work indefinitely.

If you're buying a new system from scratch, get the new one;  maybe there's benefits to range/speed

5 hours ago, jeff909 said:

I could be wrong, but I'm really surprised about all the talk about forced upgrades and compatibility...

Sure V1 -> V2 was an entire "platform"  change,  not just the hub

Unless I'm missing something,  V3 is simply a new model,  ex "prettier looking",  has wifi, and a speaker.   

If my existing system is working,  I'd see absolutely no reason to change and no reason to think it won't work indefinitely.

If you're buying a new system from scratch, get the new one;  maybe there's benefits to range/speed

The issue is with future firmware. If they stop updating the Gen 2 hub you may not get bugs fixes, new products or features. I am not saying it would be the case but I know of other devices (Obihai) that stopped working and the company basically told you to buy the new model. There are sometimes work arounds but when you are talking about your home security I need to know it is working. I hope they don't force the migration, but if they do I would likely head to a different platform. 

I'm surprised they have labeled this as a "V3" hub... it does cause some confusion because the platform is not changing like it did from V1 to V2. Version 1 and Version 2 were two completely different systems. Version 3 is just some new devices but the iris service isn't changing at all. To me, it doesn't seem like V3 as much as a wifi variant of the V2 hub... Changing to the new hub doesn't really change you to a "new version of iris", it just enables a speaker and allows the hub to connect via wifi. I don't see much reason to move to the new hub if those things aren't important to you.

8 hours ago, eurosteve said:

I hope you're right about not having to upgrade to the new hub.  Glad to hear that the migration went well.  Maybe over time I'll take a good look at the new hub decide to upgrade.  Meanwhile, all of the bugs can be worked out.  I'm amazed that Lowes has continued this platform for so long.  There is a lot of competition out there and I can't imagine that Lowes sells that many systems.  

I have my information on pretty good authority. Not sure about the IOS side but the Android side has 100,000+ app downloads.  Granted there will sometimes be more than 1 app used for a specific account but it seems there's quite a few users.

Has anyone else with a V3 hub noticed that the hub appears to be reseting (or at least losing connection) frequently?  It seems that every time I check status on the web page, the uptime is alway very short. See below.

Online Since
Nov 09, 2018 8:41 AM (0 d, 0 hrs, 40 mins)

I'm not sure if this is real or just a reporting issue. Once I did catch it reseting when I logged-in, as indicated by the glowing LED.

I haven't noticed any operational issues, but just seems odd that I'm seeing such short uptimes.

Has anyone else with a V3 hub noticed that the hub appears to be reseting (or at least losing connection) frequently?  It seems that every time I check status on the web page, the uptime is alway very short. See below.
Online Since
Nov 09, 2018 8:41 AM (0 d, 0 hrs, 40 mins)
I'm not sure if this is real or just a reporting issue. Once I did catch it reseting when I logged-in, as indicated by the glowing LED.
I haven't noticed any operational issues, but just seems odd that I'm seeing such short uptimes.

Mine has been up for 5 days and that was when I took it off to pair it to a device.
e2fba59799308a4e782d4af8cc508440.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk