New Difference between Basic and Premium

7 posts in this topic

I'm sure the middle tier "premium" plan is the least popular,  however I don't wish to have professional monitoring and I've kept the $10 plan simply due to the camera storage for recording on alarm events.

With the recent change to basic (free) including 24 hours of storage,  In theory in the event a break-in,  you'd have the videos on the IRIS cloud and you could download them to your phone.

I'm debating,  but had some other questions to confirm if there's anything else I'd be missing.  

Can anyone that's seen the difference between basic and premium help answer ?

1.  History Log -  Says 24 hours vs 14 days with visualization...   Does that mean the bar graph with the hours is no longer present on the basic?   Honestly if they are giving video storage for free,  I'm surprised 14 day history isn't standard too

2.  Alarm Tracker -  Does that just mean instead of the colored screen that lists what sensors are going off,  you'd just have to look at the history?   Probably not a big deal?

3.  Notifications for 6 people -   I only have 1 log-in account but I use it on multiple devices,    Assume that this would be unaffected?

4.  Care -  I don't use

5.  Anything else ?  -  Is there anything else that could be a surprise,  other than the extra $10/month I'll be saving?    Notifications and Rules -   From what I'm reading is there no impact?

7 hours ago, jeff909 said:

I'm sure the middle tier "premium" plan is the least popular,  however I don't wish to have professional monitoring and I've kept the $10 plan simply due to the camera storage for recording on alarm events.

With the recent change to basic (free) including 24 hours of storage,  In theory in the event a break-in,  you'd have the videos on the IRIS cloud and you could download them to your phone.

I'm debating,  but had some other questions to confirm if there's anything else I'd be missing.  

Can anyone that's seen the difference between basic and premium help answer ?

1.  History Log -  Says 24 hours vs 14 days with visualization...   Does that mean the bar graph with the hours is no longer present on the basic?   Honestly if they are giving video storage for free,  I'm surprised 14 day history isn't standard too

2.  Alarm Tracker -  Does that just mean instead of the colored screen that lists what sensors are going off,  you'd just have to look at the history?   Probably not a big deal?

3.  Notifications for 6 people -   I only have 1 log-in account but I use it on multiple devices,    Assume that this would be unaffected?

4.  Care -  I don't use

5.  Anything else ?  -  Is there anything else that could be a surprise,  other than the extra $10/month I'll be saving?    Notifications and Rules -   From what I'm reading is there no impact?

I have been on the basic plan for 18 months and can help answer a few of your questions.

1. History Log is limited to 24 hours and there is no hourly bar graph.  I very seldom use the history for anything, but I have found that if I do need to go back and check anything 24 hours has been sufficient for my needs.
  2. Alarm Tracker - This was released after I had switched so I basic plan, but I have found that the alarm history tells me which sensor was triggered.  However, you need to keep in mind that the alarm history is only stored for 24 as well.
  3. Notifications - The way you currently have your account setup you will not notice any difference.  If you have additional people on your account when you switch plans they will stay on "People" list but will not receive notifications.  Pin codes assigned to these users will also continue to work on your smart locks.  However, you will not be able to add additional people or change the pin codes of existing users.
  4. Care - No options for care.  However, you can use some of the available rules to accomplish the same thing.
  5. I don't think your missing anything else.  You can always switch back to a paid plan if you find there is something you need.

I took the money I saved and invested in Blue Iris.  With Blue Iris I have a lot more functionality for my cameras and I'm money ahead.

7 hours ago, Vettester said:

I have been on the basic plan for 18 months and can help answer a few of your questions.

1. History Log is limited to 24 hours and there is no hourly bar graph.  I very seldom use the history for anything, but I have found that if I do need to go back and check anything 24 hours has been sufficient for my needs.
  2. Alarm Tracker - This was released after I had switched so I basic plan, but I have found that the alarm history tells me which sensor was triggered.  However, you need to keep in mind that the alarm history is only stored for 24 as well.
  3. Notifications - The way you currently have your account setup you will not notice any difference.  If you have additional people on your account when you switch plans they will stay on "People" list but will not receive notifications.  Pin codes assigned to these users will also continue to work on your smart locks.  However, you will not be able to add additional people or change the pin codes of existing users.
  4. Care - No options for care.  However, you can use some of the available rules to accomplish the same thing.
  5. I don't think your missing anything else.  You can always switch back to a paid plan if you find there is something you need.

I took the money I saved and invested in Blue Iris.  With Blue Iris I have a lot more functionality for my cameras and I'm money ahead.

Thanks for all the info.   I think the longer history range would be my # 1 request of the 5,  but it's probably not worth keeping just for that.

One follow up question on the locks...  I only ever used 1 pin for my lock (even thought I was on premium).   I was surprised, is there no easy way to just add a simple unique lock code?   My memory is bad but I thought on V1 you could create a lock pin that would only work between certain hours.   Looking at the app it appeared you had to add a user, submit email address, password, etc.  just to add a lock code.   Am I doing it wrong or is that the only way to add a pin ?

8 hours ago, jeff909 said:

Looking at the app it appeared you had to add a user, submit email address, password, etc.  just to add a lock code.   Am I doing it wrong or is that the only way to add a pin ?

You're doing correctly and I should clarify that you will still be able to change the account owner's pin, just not any additional users if you switch to the basic plan.

4 hours ago, Vettester said:

You're doing correctly and I should clarify that you will still be able to change the account owner's pin, just not any additional users if you switch to the basic plan.

So if before moving to the basic plan could you set up an additional user (with a generic email and PASS) and give that new user a PIN which you could use as a shared access and sort of bridge over not being able to add new users. I get 6 email accounts with my broadband cable service. We only use 4 of them, so potentially I was thinking someone in the same situation could use an available email account that is currently tied to nothing (since it doesn't exist yet) and add a generic user. You'd have control over who could access the email account through your ISP account management and be able to disable it, change the PASS, turn email on/off, etc.

I have no interest or need to do this myself, just thinking out loud.

I get having unique users for the overall system, notification, etc.

But I'm surprised it's not easier to just set a lock code.

You should just be able assign a unique lock code without adding a user,  and being fancy,  even assign an hour window (ex. 12 PM - 4 PM) that the code is valid.

So if before moving to the basic plan could you set up an additional user (with a generic email and PASS) and give that new user a PIN which you could use as a shared access and sort of bridge over not being able to add new users. I get 6 email accounts with my broadband cable service. We only use 4 of them, so potentially I was thinking someone in the same situation could use an available email account that is currently tied to nothing (since it doesn't exist yet) and add a generic user. You'd have control over who could access the email account through your ISP account management and be able to disable it, change the PASS, turn email on/off, etc.

I have no interest or need to do this myself, just thinking out loud.

I’m not sure how many users you could do this for, but I can tell you that all 3 pin codes I had on my premium account are still working on the basic account even after 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk