So I got the Pet Door...
5 5

31 posts in this topic

All i've done so far is paired it with Iris, added two keys for my two dogs, and started introducing the dogs to it (boxer is a bit freaked, staffordshire terrier is picking it up pretty quickly).  I won't be able to actually install it for a little while, so i'm just going to be working on tuning the settings and getting used to how it works.

A couple quick observations so far:

* When it unlocks there is a loud click as it pulls the door up and out of the locked position (i've read reviews where people have complained about it).  I can see how some particularly skittish animals may not take to this device, but i think mine will get used to it fairly quickly.

* The lock mechanism was somewhat unclear to me until i saw it...if anyone is wondering, it's basically this:  There's a "ridge" in the middle of the bottom of the opening, the flap is two pieces of rigid plastic screwed together with a "trough" running down the middle, the outside of each of the two pieces of plastic fits over the ridge at the bottom of the opening to lock it in place.  There are two magnets (on of either side of the flap) that pull the flap back in to the correct position for re-lock...since the flap is rigid plastic (and fairly heavy) it has plenty of momentum, the magnets just slow it down more quickly than it would otherwise.

* Sensitivity adjustment is going to be important, and I'm not sure how consistent it's going to be.  So far i've seen it unlock within a couple feet of a key, and i've seen it NOT unlock until the keys is right up against the door...hopefully this can be tuned and will work consistently after some time.

A couple other thoughts:

* The keys that hang on the pet collar are fairly large..i'm hoping the dogs don't figure out a way to get to them and chew them up

* Iris history doesn't appear to be logging when the door is unlocked, only when it relocks.  Would be nice to see a log entry with which key unlocks the door each time...

I'd love to see more feedback about this, as we have 2 dogs and I've love to put in one of these doors. Problem is I'd have to put it in the wall as we only have a sliding glass door the leads to the outside/backyard. So, I'll be monitoring this one to see what others think about the Pet Door before I actually purchase mine. 

All i've done so far is paired it with Iris, added two keys for my two dogs, and started introducing the dogs to it (boxer is a bit freaked, staffordshire terrier is picking it up pretty quickly).  I won't be able to actually install it for a little while, so i'm just going to be working on tuning the settings and getting used to how it works.

* When it unlocks there is a loud click as it pulls the door up and out of the locked position (i've read reviews where people have complained about it).  I can see how some particularly skittish animals may not take to this device, but i think mine will get used to it fairly quickly.

* The lock mechanism was somewhat unclear to me until i saw it...if anyone is wondering, it's basically this:  There's a "ridge" in the middle of the bottom of the opening, the flap is two pieces of rigid plastic screwed together with a "trough" running down the middle, the outside of each of the two pieces of plastic fits over the ridge at the bottom of the opening to lock it in place.  There are two magnets (on of either side of the flap) that pull the flap back in to the correct position for re-lock...since the flap is rigid plastic (and fairly heavy) it has plenty of momentum, the magnets just slow it down more quickly than it would otherwise.

* Sensitivity adjustment is going to be important, and I'm not sure how consistent it's going to be.  So far i've seen it unlock within a couple feet of a key, and i've seen it NOT unlock until the keys is right up against the door...hopefully this can be tuned and will work consistently after some time.

A couple other thoughts:

* The keys that hang on the pet collar are fairly large..i'm hoping the dogs don't figure out a way to get to them and chew them up

* Iris history doesn't appear to be logging when the door is unlocked, only when it relocks.  Would be nice to see a log entry with which key unlocks the door each time...

So it says these will only install in doors a couple of inches thick.  I have a sliding door so I was going to install it in the wall.  I saw for $129 (must be made of gold) they have a wall adapter but I was hoping I could just put it up without it and figure something out to cover the gap, maybe some white duct tape would do.  Would you think that's possible or will I be required to get the wall adapter?

Electronic SmartDoor™ Wall Conversion Kit

SKU# MPA11-12020

starting at $129.95

mpa11-12020_a_1.jpg

http://store.petsafe.net/electronic-smartdoortm-wall-conversion-kit?utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cse&utm_content=GRP-ESDWCK

Mine will have to go through the wall as well.  The door frame attaches inside to outside with a set of long screws, so if you're going to try to piece together an adapter you have to account for some way of securing both the outside and inside sections of the device (so duct tape probably isn't going to cut it).

A couple other thoughts:

Most of this I concur, Now referance the logging, this device has logged more stuff for me than I have seen with the other devices. It logged when it was added to iris, when I added the dog key to iris, as well as when the dog enters and leaves that room. It also shows mode changes as well. Not sure what is going on with yours but mine seems to be working just fine

Mine will have to go through the wall as well.  The door frame attaches inside to outside with a set of long screws, so if you're going to try to piece together an adapter you have to account for some way of securing both the outside and inside sections of the device (so duct tape probably isn't going to cut it).

I'm sure I could pick up some longer screws for it so I'm not worried about that just if there would be an air gap in the tunnel without the adapter.  I was thinking I could stuff some extra insulation in there and just put some white duct tape over it so you didn't see the insulation sticking through.  If the door flap shuts a certain way I would assume you wouldn't even see it while the door is shut.  I guess I'll find out tonight, it was schedule to arrive today but I've not seen any notifications on it.  I'm going see if I can find the tracking number.

Mine has been disconnected from Iris since the day after i first set it up.  I haven't done any troubleshooting with it yet, but hopefully this is just some issue with my system and not some larger problem.

Yeah, you might just have to re-pair it. Use to good ole paper clip reset once you have removed it from Iris then repair it and see if that fixes it.

Got mine installed through the wall and I like it.  It was a tight fit between 16" studs on center.  The insert is 14.5" wide and is a tight fit.  I tried to install with out the wall adapter and you probably could make it work but the gap is fairly large and in order to keep the rain out I've opted to get the adapter vs crafting something.  Other than that it seems to work perfectly.  I like the history recorded when the door is used. I like the option to lock it during certain hours after it's been used like over night.  I would like to see an option to have the door lock when it's raining if my dog is inside or as soon as he comes in.  I would also like to see options to set the pet door mode based on home mode, such as lock it in night mode or vacation mode and set to auto for home and away.  Like others have said it does make a loud popping sound when it unlocks.  

My pet door went missing. Tried to optimize but no dice. I did change the mode on the door directly wonder if that caused an issue. I guess I'll have to remove and repair it.

My pet door went missing. Tried to optimize but no dice. I did change the mode on the door directly wonder if that caused an issue. I guess I'll have to remove and repair it.

Mine as well. I think I had broke it. What I tried to do is change the mode manually on the door the other day and since then, it has disappeared. Since the Mode button is also the reset button (bad by design) I think I deleted its connection to Iris. I will be re-paring it later today to see if that resolves it.

That makes sense...I messed with the buttons after first connecting the pet door and then found that it was disconnected when i next looked at it (the following morning).  I just deleted and re-paired it and it has been connected since (a week or so now).

Well its 22 degrees in KC and let's just say the pet door is a little drafty. I added some foam around the edge of the door on each side and a door sweep at the top over the hinge. Wow what a difference.

44ff089b6649df667c632ef47776def8.jpg

The faster they move away from the door after they go through it the faster it locks. It can be just as soon as the flap stops. If they stand by it and they don't go through, it stays unlocked for quite a while, maybe 30s.

I sure want an electronic smart pet door for my cats but I don't think this one is the answer for me. I don't like the idea of using collars with keys on them--especially for a cat...plus this pet door is kind of pricey in comparison to other smart pet doors. I was hoping that the Iris pet door would limit/control access BOTH ways from reading the pet's implanted microchip like the smart Sure Flap pet door rather than magnetic collar keys. A smart pet door should be smarter than what Iris gives us with this model from PetSafe.

From looking at the Iris one, it appears flimsy and not "raccoon proof" too--something that is important for me due to my locale.

Maybe Iris will partner with another pet door maker and come up with a "smarter" door via reading of pet microchips.

I would say the door is too heavy duty for a cat to open it unless if it was a very large cat that would move through it quickly before the door smacked it right outside. When it flaps and closes it does with some force. When the door is it shut and in a locked position I can pound on it with my fist fairly hard and it will not budge. However it is plastic so if someone were to kick it with a lot of force they could probably kick it in. I feel it's built solid from the door perspective and the door locks into place tightly after it's locked. I just wish it was insulated more and the unlock mech was quieter. Probably the biggest weakness I see is with the unlock mech. It seems like it could stop unlocking at some point if it was obstructed and it tried to unlock multiple times. I've gotten mine in to this state due to ice freezing around it but I've been able to reset it so far.

I have a 8" solid block wall I had to saw cut to put in the door. I used loctite spray foam to secure the door to the wall and fill the gaps, no screws used at all. Then cut the excess foam to make a nice smooth tunnel wall. Didn't need a $129 extra tunnel just a can of foam. This stuff is better than liquid nails!

The door had a malfunction and got stuck after about 10 uses. I tried to pull the door off and tried to push through from the outside and I couldn't get it back off! I later got the door to function and has been great ever since. I have a 100 lb red-nose terrier that is deathly afraid of fireworks that tries to get in that door  and cant, I do not think a raccoon could get in.

Initially I had to get help pairing after 2 days trying. It has not had any problems keeping paired since the install. 

My other dog is a  50lb terrier that is afraid of the "popping" noise. It is loud and after a month now she is still timid and needs help out.

I think the petdoor is a good addition to my Iris.

UPDATE: Had pairing issues after my kid hit the reset button. Had to remove door and still would not pair up after 5 days trying within a foot from the hub, had to return. Got new door paired and repaired just to make sure I was'nt lucky again within a couple feet from hub. Range is awful and even worse after installed. New door has no range on outside for pet transmitter either, at max sensitivity the dogs collar has to be 2 inches from the top of the petdoor..... the last door did'nt have this problem. I'm going to have to return it and try again. 

3rd pet door....the last one my dog would have to be upside down and 6 inches from the top of the door to get back in at full sensitivity when the first door worked a couple feet away, but would not re-pair 

The new door range for the dog is good again but the damn door dropped off the hub in about an hour. My hub is 9 feet away from the petdoor ,also with a v1 smartplug within 2 feet. been offline for 2 hours and now calling support. 

AT THIS POINT I HIGHLY  DO NOT RECOMMEND PETSAFE. Absolute junk as far as electronics range and pairing issue.

3rd door returned at discretion of iris tier 2. Went to a large lowes 20 miles away to try a different pile, in a city of 100k+ population and they do not carry any, only a piece of paper saying order online.  4th door is last on the shelf at my lowes in a city of 58k. Got home and it wont pair at all, uninstalled next to the hub. Support is baffled, and I'm sick of this 2 month long process of taking shit back.

A couple other thoughts:

I've had the pet door for a year.  Honestly, it's a piece of plastic junk.  But, once you bust a big hole in your door, what are you going to do?

- The locking mechanism is an electromagnet.

- The popping noise is how PetSafe solved for quickly releasing the latch.  When your pet is in range the magnet releases, and springs drive the mechanism away from the door, causing the loud noise that wakes you in the middle of the night. 

- Interestingly, the sensor does not work if the door is around metal.  Since most exterior doors are made of metal, this seems convoluted. 

- Some of the 'keys' work better than others.  If you can't get the distance dialed in correctly, try a new battery or get a replacement key. 

- And wouldn't it be nice to be abel to trigger a rule off the door, like "if the door opens, turn on a light". 

3rd pet door....the last one my dog would have to be upside down and 6 inches from the top of the door to get back in at full sensitivity when the first door worked a couple feet away, but would not re-pair 

The new door range for the dog is good again but the damn door dropped off the hub in about an hour. My hub is 9 feet away from the petdoor ,also with a v1 smartplug within 2 feet. been offline for 2 hours and now calling support. 

AT THIS POINT I HIGHLY  DO NOT RECOMMEND PETSAFE. Absolute junk as far as electronics range and pairing issue.

3rd door returned at discretion of iris tier 2. Went to a large lowes 20 miles away to try a different pile, in a city of 100k+ population and they do not carry any, only a piece of paper saying order online.  4th door is last on the shelf at my lowes in a city of 58k. Got home and it wont pair at all, uninstalled next to the hub. Support is baffled, and I'm sick of this 2 month long process of taking shit back.

Yes, but what do you do about that big hole in your door?

Lowes sells variety of exterior doors, just stop by your local Lowe's store and a friendly associate will help you to purchase a brand new door! You can even arrange installation!

If you just have to have a pet door, best to buy one that operates off an implanted microchip in the dog or cat..that way you don't have to worry about collars with magnets and sensors and no Iris at all.

Been involved in humane society work for 40+ years--all PETSAFE products (as well as Hartz) are junk.

mojo2600