First Alert Smoke/CO False alarm at 1AM

4 posts in this topic

Twice triggered a smoke alarm at 1AM and shortly afterward. Batteries replaced with Lithium AA’s about three months ago. No smoke, no dust, nothing. This is a basement alarm near a door that goes outside (walk out basement).

First time it went off, told monitoring that no smoke etc. Replaced batteries with new Alkaline AA’s. Sat and stared at the unit a couple of minutes and it went off again; told monitoring there wasn’t smoke and to cancel alarm. They said they would put it in test for 8 hours. In the meantime, I have plenty other detectors in my basement (two are house wired ones), so I’m comfortable leaving the Iris one off for right now.

Date code on the unit it early 2015. Put it in the summer of 2015. Apparently no dust or debris in it.

Going to give support a call tomorrow. I don’t like being woken up by false alarms at 1AM. Good news is the monitoring does work and they call super quick. That’s why I paid for the service :-)

I've had similar experiences, but chalked them up to possible dust. I have 7 First Alerts on my system. When I get a false alarm, I vacuum the unit, replace the battery and put it back in service. I don't think I've had the same unit misfire twice, though.

I've had First Alert smoke detectors go off by dust, steam from a nearby bathroom while showering, as well as a trail of ants.  Additionally to what pavalov suggests, and since you have other detectors nearby, I'd also temporarily place that unit in another room or area for a week or so and see if it false alarms again.

Just this week I have had my halo start making a random single beep on occasion.
Could be dust as we've been doing a lot of remodeling. I just gutted the master bathroom and have been doing drywall work.
Also we have just had to start running our heat pump on heat as well, but the only time I've ever had that issue with the heat is the first time the heat strips come on. It seems like every year when the auxiliary heat strips come on we get a slight burning smell (probably dust burning off) and sometimes it trips the smoke alarm.