IRIS Being shut down by Lowe's??
4 4

44 posts in this topic

Nov 20 (Reuters) - Lowe's Cos Inc said on Tuesday it was looking to shed its retail operations in Mexico and certain non-core U.S. businesses as the country's second-biggest home improvement chain strives to compete with rivals including Home Depot.

Shares of the Mooresville, North Carolina-based company fell 5.3 percent to $86.50 in premarket trading after Lowe's also reported a smaller-than-expected rise in same-store sales.

Under Marvin Ellison, Lowe's newly-appointed chief executive officer, the company has been streamlining its business by shutting underperforming stores and cutting back on slow moving inventory.

The company has perennially lagged Home Depot Inc in same-store sales, despite having roughly the same number of stores.

Lowe's said it was looking at all options for its chain of 13 stores in Mexico and that it was "exiting" its U.S. contracting services business Alacrity Renovation Services and security and smart home app Iris Smart Home.

Couldn't find any news about whether it would be sold off or just shut down. Wonder if this is the end of IRIS and more importantly if it is where is my refund???

EDIT: I do see where it says smart home app. I wonder if they mean just the app, which I don't think so, or the whole IRIS program.

Edited by ScottH
I do see where it says smart home app. I wonder if they mean just the app, which I don't think so, or the whole IRIS program.

Ugh...this was the news that I was afraid of.

Saying they're looking for a buyer may be true but I wonder how feasible that is. Once news like this gets out, many people on the platform end up jumping ship especially if they use this for security. Those people can't afford to have the platform shutdown and then scramble to set up a new system. This type of news also makes the people working in Iris to start looking for new jobs since their future is not certain. This drives the price down and often results in the product withering on the vine since no one will be willing to pay what they think it is worth. 

Hi,

We have an official FAQ here: https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/News-Announcements/In-response-to-Lowe-s-announcement-to-sell-I...

There will be further news when a buyer for Iris is announced. Iris is NOT shutting down, and you can continue to expect the Iris service to operate just as it does now (and to be able to purchase Iris equipment at Lowe's). Iris is personally a very important part of my life and I rely on it to protect my family. We are not going anywhere.

-Mike

7 minutes ago, accessdenied79 said:

Hi,

We have an official FAQ here: https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/News-Announcements/In-response-to-Lowe-s-announcement-to-sell-I...

There will be further news when a buyer for Iris is announced. Iris is NOT shutting down, and you can continue to expect the Iris service to operate just as it does now (and to be able to purchase Iris equipment at Lowe's). Iris is personally a very important part of my life and I rely on it to protect my family. We are not going anywhere.

-Mike

There will be further news when a buyer for Iris is announced (or we are forced to give up). Iris is NOT shutting down (unless we do), and you can continue to expect the (even more than the usually abysmal) Iris service to operate just as it does now (with devices dropping continually, not working properly, and alarms going off randomly) (and to be able to purchase Iris equipment at Lowe's (until they are completely rendered useless)). Iris is personally a very important part of my life and I rely on it to protect my family. We are not going anywhere (unless we do).

Since a buyer will probably update IRIS to a more up to date system they more than likely will not use the devices that solely depend on the IRIS platform. Lowe's should allow customers to return their products if they so choose. Lowe's will have no responsibility to us once a sale is completed and if the buyer makes V1 and other IRIS exclusive devices useless.

If they find a suitable buyer that carries on with the Iris brand it would be stupid not to support generation 1 devices. If they dropped this there would be no reason to stay at all and any value to the product line would be gone. 

As for Lowes offering refunds....good luck. I think the best they would do for gen 1 devices is offer you the lowest price they sold them for and for many that is 25 cents each. Gen 2 devices they wouldn't have to refund since those can move to ST. and would not be considered obsolete. 

This was not how I wanted to start my next round of buying more Iris devices, seeing this news.  I have small system compared to most, but it works, and the new fob made Iris much more "wife approved"...to where she was using the system and asking what could be automated with it.  My elderly mother recently reached a point where an Iris system would help monitor her health and well-being, so I went to the site today and was pleased by the new offerings...until I saw the posting on the news.

I know what they have stated....but in over 45+years of life on this planet, governments, companies, and people say things to CYA often, or at least CYA based on what they know at their level at the moment. I tried to reassure my own team at one point in my career, based on what a Director told me, only to realize we were all lied to a few weeks later when the whole group was given the "your positions have been eliminated, thank you, please leave the building" news.

I have been happy with Iris, but I think I will delay buying anything else for a bit longer.

@accessdenied79 I would return them. I don't think Iris will have a buyer because there is nothing cutting edge about it anymore. If Lowe's is selling I don't see them letting them back in the stores so it will be a online only deal. They should have stayed out front but with removing power usage and nothing "new" I see this as the end of Iris. Its on life support.

As a long time IRIS user since 2013,  I couldn't disagree more with the comments.

I see the sale nothing but good news for the long term potential.

I think with the V3 products having "By Lowes"  removed from the packaging and even the app icon,  I think we saw this coming.

If companies like Simply Safe or even the ADT pulse can get main stream appeal,  I think we all would agree Lowe's lack of marketing was their down fall.

I would predict someone purchases IRIS and finally puts the effort into  making it a popular mainstream product,  and perhaps adding support for some of the "buzz"  secondary products like Ring.

Another thing...  should this product be sold at Best Buy?   Amazon?   I mean if it's "Alexa Compatible" ...  it's crazy to not not have it come up as an option on Amazon.  Expanding reach of the products has to help growth.

I don't think there's any chance it's shut down.

10 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

Iris is personally a very important part of my life and I rely on it to protect my family. We are not going anywhere.

Who is making this representation? I.e., whose voice is this?

8 hours ago, pavalov said:

Thanks -- hope Mike doesn't find himself disappointed by his employer.

Yeah no kidding...sucks for all of us on the platform if it dies but it is even worse for those families that rely on the Iris paychecks. Especially this time of year, no one wants to be in an uncertain financial situation during an expensive time of year. I certainly hope Iris doesn't fail for selfish reasons but also for these people that have turned around the Gen 2 platform into something that is actually stable and reliable. 

If nothing else maybe you can get some V2 devices for cheap that will work with other platforms. I'm personally a bit tired of the

closed nature and the uncertainty of the longevity of the platform. Plugged in my FireTV Cube and saw my front door ring camera

on my TV. I really liked that. 

1 hour ago, Vettester said:

Now that Lowe's has announce their plans for Iris, I won't be spending any more money at Lowe's.  It's time to go back to “More saving, more doing… That's the power of the Home Depot.”

For me at least this will be partly true. HD is more convenient for me to get to, I only went to Lowe's to see if there were Iris deals. So while I won't go out of my way to skip Lowe's I will be there a lot less now.

I’m surprised this hasn’t happened sooner.  Lowe’s blundered the V2 release and pushed away lots of longtime customers.. At the same time, a slow rate of maturation and poor marketing limited the intake of new customers.   

It is good that Lowe’s is trying to sell Iris, but that doesn’t mean that they will continue to support or even operate the platform.  A potential buyer could only be after intellectual property.  The best advice is to migrate away as soon as you can.  History has not been kind to home automation systems who have been sold.  Look at what Google did to Revolv, snatched up for the IP then shut down.  Staples Home Connect was sold to Z-Wave Products who shut down the servers for good earlier this year.

The odds are not in favor of Iris being around a year from now.  If only they hadn’t wasted so much time on the Santa Tracker!

22 hours ago, IrisUsers said:

A potential buyer could only be after intellectual property.  The best advice is to migrate away as soon as you can.  History has not been kind to home automation systems who have been sold. 

I can't imagine there is any IP worth buying. It isn't like Iris was doing anything novel that others were not. And for me, as much as I have been tempted to move to ST in the past the cost of redoing the system is high. I probably have about 40 contact sensors, 6 motion, 8 buttons, 2 fobs and another 10 plugs that are all gen 1. Now if someone found a way to migrate those I would be interested. But short of that I think I will sit tight and hope for the best... otherwise I am looking at $1300 just for hardware.