Outdoor smart plug losing WiFi connection randomly
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a wifi outdooor smart plug ghevwifi signal strength is adequate outside, but the device is randomly losing its connection. If I unplug and plug it back in it reconnects fine.

When I go outside the WiFi icon is flashing pink.

Any idea what could be causing this and/or how to fix it? Thanks?

It's more than likely a wifi issue.  If go out to where the smart plug is plugged in you should be able to check your wifi signal strength with your phone.  You can also check to see if there are other networks available in the same area.  If you're seeing other ssid's the issue could be caused by interference.

I just went through this the other day with a Wemo smart plug.  My phone showed 3 of 4 bars at the location outside.  The plug would not connect to wifi, so I moved it inside to connect.  It worked fine inside, so I tried moving it back outside.  It would work one time, the lose connection.  I ended up going back to a GE bluetooth smart plug.

My phone shows 3 bars the SNR and RSSI the plug reports to the router is within acceptable numbers.

i am wondering more about interference now but have no idea how to check for that. 

4 hours ago, pavalov said:

Are you controlling it with Avi-on?

Yes.  I run one outdoor smart plug at my moms house, and a few at home for cycling router and modem.  We also use a bunch for the City I work for.  Keep us from having to use the old mechanical timers without having wifi down several alleys in town.  Just drive by and connect every so often to keep the time straight.

Avi-on seems to work pretty well for what it does.  I have not purchased the RAB yet, and don't really have a need for it.  

4 hours ago, rmr236 said:

Also it’s showing six networks. I forced a channel change on the router, worked again for a few hours then lost connection. 

I assume you are using 1 of the 3 non-overlapping 2.4GHz channels (1, 6 or 11).  Can you see which channels the six networks are using?

You'll need some kind of wifi analyzer.  Search google, depending on your operating system, there are several free wifi analyzers available online.

Here's an example of the information this kind of tool provides.

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 9.47.30 PM.png

The top six SSID's are my home network.  The others are all possible sources of interference.  It is possible to eliminate most of this type of interference through simple channel management.