Best adhesive strips for sensors
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Tomorrow we have painters coming and I've had to remove about a dozen sensors in our home.
The adhesive strips that came with the sensors have been very reliable... I've never had one fall off... What can I get that will fit well on V1 contact sensors that will perform just as good as the original strips?
Any ideas? preferably something I can pickup locally (Lowes, walmart, home depot, etc...)

Look at 394705 at Lowe's. You'll have to trim to size but it'll never fall off. Warning it will also remove the outer skin on drywall if you ever remove it so be careful that you put it where you want it the 1st time.

I use command strips, the ones meant for bathroom hold best, but those will peel off paint as well if not careful when removing.  Even the clear less heavy duty ones can, but not usually.  

I have some of the 3M tape that is probably similar to the stuff Scunny linked too, except mine is a smaller width, about twice the width of a contact sensor magnet..  My wife got it from a company she used to work for, it  is meant for automotive applications and it will definitely pull drywall off when removing.  It does not let loose easy.

Consider 3M Command velcro strips for picture hanging.  They come in 3 sizes (S/M/L).  Small size is best for motion and contact sensors.  This way you can detach/reattach any sensor anytime if you need to move it close to the hub for re-pairing.  

I've been using Sticky Putty by Alcolin available on Amazon. I have several motion sensors stuck on various surfaces using this stuff. None have fallen off. I even have one mounted on the ceiling of my garage. If I need to move one the putty is reusable. I just pull it off, remove the putty, massage it, and stick it back on the sensor.