My 2nd Gen Cameras now have audio

15 posts in this topic

My second gen's now have audio. However, one of them has high volume static - no way to hear anything over it. I thought it might be interference but disconnecting nearby electronic devices did nothing to cure it. Is anyone else having this problem?

You may have a bad mic on your camera.  To eliminate interference as the problem you can compare the wifi noise and rssi levels with a known good camera.  You can get these levels by double clicking the device's blue information icon in @thegillions web portal.

You can also use @thegillions portal to update the camera driver without re-pairing to get sound.  To do so go to Troubleshooting>All Devices.  Scroll down to your v2 camera and double click the driver version (the item in the very last column) and accept the popup.   Then refresh the browser to verify that the driver version has been updated to ver. 2018.7.  You now have sound.

14 hours ago, Vettester said:

You may have a bad mic on your camera.  To eliminate interference as the problem you can compare the wifi noise and rssi levels with a known good camera.  You can get these levels by double clicking the device's blue information icon in @thegillions web portal.

OK, I've collected the data from two cameras with working audio and compared them to the high static camera.

High static camera:  wifi noise 78 rssi 45

Good camera A: 81 & 56

Good camera B: 78 & 45

So one of the working cameras has identical data to the bad camera, and the other seems close to the same, but I don't understand what the numbers are measuring. What does it mean?

In all wireless connections you have a certain amount of unwanted signal called "noise,"   With your cameras the more negative the noise number is, the weaker its wifi signal is.  One thing to note is that the numbers you listed are negative not positive.  In your case the high static camera and camera B have a better wifi signal than camera A. 

RSSI, or “Received Signal Strength Indicator,” is a measurement of how well your device can hear a signal from an access point or router.  It’s a value that is useful for determining if you have enough signal to get a good wireless connection.  

As for the static sound issue you are having I don't believe it is wifi related.

It could also just be a bad mic in the camera. These mics are cheap as dirt and sometimes if they get banged around too much or the camera got dropped they can be useless. The camera may still work fine, but the mic element will be toast. Same goes for the speaker if you can call it that.

This would apply to any remote camera, not just the Iris cameras. The cheaper they are I think it is more likely the mic and speaker are next to useless or of poor quality/reliability. The $19 Wyze cameras have a mic and speaker which are nothing to write home about. The speaker being much worse than the mic as far as sound quality/intelligibility. I have a bunch of them and the speakers on all are poor, the mic pick up sound is decent for what they are.