SystronicsRF
10 10

145 posts in this topic

We were taken by surprise by yesterday’s news, along with everyone else.

Our aim now is to protect the March 31st date for having a system capable of handling the Gen 1 devices that can be offered to all existing users.

We are continuing with the Beta testing, as planned, but with a shift in emphasis.

The original plan was to focus initially on the use of 1st generation Iris devices.  That was intended to enable users to gain a complete understanding of the system based on just these devices.  Having become familiar with the system in this way, users can then move to their other devices.

Starting with the 1st generation devices in this way is not a reflection of the capability of the system, which already handles ZigBee HA, ZigBee LL, Z-Wave, and WiFi devices, it is merely a sensible way of moving forward.

In light of yesterday’s news, we intend to extend this approach.  The focus will continue to be 100% on the 1st generation devices, until the majority of the Beta users are satisfied that we have a system that can be offered with confidence to all of the users of the 1st generation devices.  Only then, will we move onto the other devices.  In our view, this is the best way of protecting the March 31st date for most users.

We intend to ship the software on preloaded Micro SD cards, so that we can all focus on testing the system ASAP.  This shipping will start next week, and we’ve been quoted a 5 day shipping lead time.

The original plan was to involve between 5 and 10 people in this Beta testing.  We have increased this to 20, on the basis that more people sharing the load should expedite the process.

We will be sending invitations to those of you with 1st generation devices who have registered on the website, have shown most interest, and have provided us with details about your system.

More details will be provided about the Beta testing to those of you who have accepted the invitation.

46 minutes ago, SystronicsRF said:

We were taken by surprise by yesterday’s news, along with everyone else.

Our aim now is to protect the March 31st date for having a system capable of handling the Gen 1 devices that can be offered to all existing users.

We are continuing with the Beta testing, as planned, but with a shift in emphasis.

The original plan was to focus initially on the use of 1st generation Iris devices.  That was intended to enable users to gain a complete understanding of the system based on just these devices.  Having become familiar with the system in this way, users can then move to their other devices.

Starting with the 1st generation devices in this way is not a reflection of the capability of the system, which already handles ZigBee HA, ZigBee LL, Z-Wave, and WiFi devices, it is merely a sensible way of moving forward.

In light of yesterday’s news, we intend to extend this approach.  The focus will continue to be 100% on the 1st generation devices, until the majority of the Beta users are satisfied that we have a system that can be offered with confidence to all of the users of the 1st generation devices.  Only then, will we move onto the other devices.  In our view, this is the best way of protecting the March 31st date for most users.

We intend to ship the software on preloaded Micro SD cards, so that we can all focus on testing the system ASAP.  This shipping will start next week, and we’ve been quoted a 5 day shipping lead time.

The original plan was to involve between 5 and 10 people in this Beta testing.  We have increased this to 20, on the basis that more people sharing the load should expedite the process.

We will be sending invitations to those of you with 1st generation devices who have registered on the website, have shown most interest, and have provided us with details about your system.

More details will be provided about the Beta testing to those of you who have accepted the invitation.

So iris cameras will work with your system? 

It does not appear that there is support for Arlo cameras. Is support being considered for the future? I have a sizable investment in Arlo Pro cameras and cameras are expensive so I really don't want to have to buy others. How about support for Amazon Echo or Google Home Assistant? I have both Amazon Echo and Google Home Mini devices. Both work with Arlo cameras. If you support either but not Arlo there might be a workaround to have your system send a command to Amazon Echo or Google Mini which in turn could trigger Arlo cameras to record. Being retired I occasionally take long trips and the Arlo camera batteries don't last long enough when the cameras are always on. Therefore I need a way to turn them on and off with a command from your system triggered by motion or contact sensors.

I also don't see support for Nest thermostats. What about them?

I also don't see support for Swann Lowes Iris WiFi Smart plug/Smart switch with are my primary means of controlling lights except for a GE 45856 Zigbee Smart Switch.  https://www.amazon.com/Swann-Lowes-Wi-Fi-Switch-IRIS-WSP1PA-LW/dp/B01M72CUQS/ref=sr_1_3     What about them?

What about Gen 3 devices? I only have a Gen 3 keypad but others may have purchased the Gen 3 motion sensors and I believe they also had Gen 3 smart plugs.

I also would like Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener support. It is a WiFi based system. The IRIS Zwave garage door system didn't work because of the range from the hub and the signal not having enough strength to pass through one interior and two exterior walls.

My current basic IRIS functionality is mostly security based. I arm the system with my Gen 3 keypad. I have contact sensors and motion sensors that will trigger the alarm. I require two motion sensors to detect motion before the alarm is triggered. This is important because motion sensors are susceptible to causing false alarms when only one is required. IRIS currently gives you the option for this. When the alarm goes off it also causes my two Utilitech sirens to go off. And finally I get an actual phone call on my cellphone. All of these things are important considerations that the security must provide.

Icing on the cake would be to automatically turn on all my Arlo cameras. Something else I do is when I arm my IRIS alarm system my Nest thermostat automatically is turned off so I'm not heating the house while I'm gone. When I return home and disarm the alarm my Nest thermostat is automatically reset to whatever temperature I have programed into the rule.  Another thing I currently do is automatically turn on certain lights when a motion sensor detects motion and automatically turn the lights off when motion is no longer detected. I also have scheduled certain lights to turn on and off on a schedule which the IRIS app provides.

Finally the biggest complaint I had with IRIS was the Gen 1 keypad didn't always communicate with the Gen 2 hub. The signal had to go about 35' and through two walls. When I upgraded to the Gen 3 hub and Gen 3 keypad the extended range offered by that combination pretty much eliminated the problem as long as my wife was patient enough to give the system a chance to respond.  How is the range and signal strength of the Pi/Gen 3 keypad combination? Response time?

Do all this and I'm sold.😁

On 1/28/2019 at 3:50 AM, SystronicsRF said:

We had recommended the HomeSeer SmartStick as the preferred Z-Wave USB network adapter for use in the USA.  This was based on the adapter having been successfully tested, its performance, brand, price, and its availability.

A member of the forum attempted to purchase a HomeSeer SmartStick last week, and the only one available was priced at more than $90.00.

We had been purchasing them from Amazon (USA) last year for $35.00, but they are now showing as “Currently unavailable” on Amazon.

The HomeSeer SmartStick is still available online directly from HomeSeer for $40.00.

We were already recommending the Aeotec Z Wave adapter for UK (868 MHz version) use, and we have changed our recommendation to the Aeotec Z-Wave for use in the USA (908 MHz version).

It's probably worth mentioning that there is a significant difference between Z-Wave adapters and ZigBee adapters.

The interface that is presented by a Z-Wave adapter to the hub is more standardised than that for a ZigBee adapter.  This is mainly because the Z-Wave adapters all use the same Sigma chip, whereas different chips can be used in the ZigBee adapters.

In practice, every Z-Wave adapter that we have tested conforms to the same interface standard.  Most, if not all, Z-Wave adapters should work with the control system, whereas each type of the ZigBee adapter has to be profiled individually to communicate with the control system.

I had poor luck with Zwave products. Lack of range. Wouldn't reach to my garage to control my garage door and wouldn't even activate my Zwave siren when it was placed outside my home office where the hub resides. That's why my garage door controler is WiFi and my GE Smart Switch is Zigbee which paired immediately despite being about 25' from the hub with two walls and a couple of large metal safes in between. I did read that the more Zwave devices you have the stronger the signal. With my Gen 3 hub being moved about 1' from my Zwave siren it activates just fine. When I added a second Zwave siren I was able to place it about 20 feet away and through several walls and have it work. Could be the stronger signal generated by the Gen 3 hub, having more than one Zwave device or a combination of both.

BTW - I tried to gain access to my profile on the SystronicsRF website (I registered some time ago) and when I click on the My Profile it takes me to the Home Automation page but I don't see any reference to me or any place I can enter my devices or explain how I use my system. Thus the reason for my post above. I tried the Opra, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers. Or maybe I'm just dense and can't find the links.

Are there any plans for SystronicsRF to support the Orbit sprinkler.  I read a long thread on the SmartThings forum about people trying to get it work over the past four years with very limited success.  There is something very proprietary about how it communicates and I guess only Lowe's knew how.  I wonder if the release of the Arcus open source might shed some light into that.  I see that SystronicsRF will be extensible via C# code, but will that go down to the driver level or just the rules?  I'm excited about it, because I am a C# programmer, but it looks like the programming is done through their IDE.  That's a nice touch, so users don't have to install Visual Studio, but if we have Visual Studio, can we still code and compile extensions in Visual Studio?  I've worked with other software in the past that claimed to support a language, but only through their IDE, and that usually resulted in significant restrictions.

1 minute ago, GraemeCracker said:

Are there any plans for SystronicsRF to support the Orbit sprinkler.  I read a long thread on the SmartThings forum about people trying to get it work over the past four years with very limited success.  There is something very proprietary about how it communicates and I guess only Lowe's knew how.  I wonder if the release of the Arcus open source might shed some light into that.  I see that SystronicsRF will be extensible via C# code, but will that go down to the driver level or just the rules?  I'm excited about it, because I am a C# programmer, but it looks like the programming is done through their IDE.  That's a nice touch, so users don't have to install Visual Studio, but if we have Visual Studio, can we still code and compile extensions in Visual Studio?  I've worked with other software in the past that claimed to support a language, but only through their IDE, and that usually resulted in significant restrictions.

Here is the link to the SmartThings Iris Orbit thread.  It goes back to April 2014!! And no one has got it to work reliably.  https://community.smartthings.com/t/orbit-sprinkler-timer-iris/1662

On 2/2/2019 at 4:50 AM, GaryS1964 said:

BTW - I tried to gain access to my profile on the SystronicsRF website (I registered some time ago) and when I click on the My Profile it takes me to the Home Automation page but I don't see any reference to me or any place I can enter my devices or explain how I use my system. Thus the reason for my post above. I tried the Opra, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers. Or maybe I'm just dense and can't find the links.

Our apologies.  You should have received an email by now with your password.

When a visitor first logs in, they are sent a confirmation email containing a link, clicking on which verifies them.

We have now made the need to click on the verification email link clearer on the myProfile page, when someone has registered, but remain unverified, instead of just returning them to the home page.

16 hours ago, GraemeCracker said:

Are there any plans for SystronicsRF to support the Orbit sprinkler. 

The control system runs directly on the hub, and it exchanges data frames with each device, and controls the devices down to Endpoint / Cluster / Attribute level for ZigBee, and Command Classes for Z-Wave.

You will find more on the following pages:

https://www.systronicsrf.com/technology/centralised-control.html
       https://www.systronicsrf.com/technology/device-profiling.html
       https://www.systronicsrf.com/technology/exchanging-frames.html
       https://www.systronicsrf.com/technology/developers-user-interface.html
       https://www.systronicsrf.com/technology/creating-a-profile.html

Having this degree of control over the devices, we should be better placed to control devices , such as the Orbit Sprinkler.

16 hours ago, GraemeCracker said:

I see that SystronicsRF will be extensible via C# code, but will that go down to the driver level or just the rules?  I'm excited about it, because I am a C# programmer, but it looks like the programming is done through their IDE.  That's a nice touch, so users don't have to install Visual Studio, but if we have Visual Studio, can we still code and compile extensions in Visual Studio?  I've worked with other software in the past that claimed to support a language, but only through their IDE, and that usually resulted in significant restrictions.

You can use Visual Studio, but you will find that the IDE / Compiler running on the hub has all of the capability that you will need.  It compiles and executes directly on the hub, and entirely locally in a self-contained manner, and without the need for the the application to restart.  We use these tools to create all of the profiles for the devices that we test, including those listed on these pages:

https://www.systronicsrf.com/devices

As I’m sure you appreciate, our To-Do list is rather long.  Our first priority is to get the Beta testing under way, which starts with Iris 1st generation devices, and then moves on to other Iris devices.  

We will certainly schedule the Orbit Sprinkler in, and we’ll get in touch when we get nearer to looking into it.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:06 AM, SystronicsRF said:

Our apologies.  You should have received an email by now with your password.

When a visitor first logs in, they are sent a confirmation email containing a link, clicking on which verifies them.

We have now made the need to click on the verification email link clearer on the myProfile page, when someone has registered, but remain unverified, instead of just returning them to the home page.

I don't have the original email. I signed up a few weeks ago and stored my login and password information in a password program and deleted the email. I can log in. I have received your emails. I just can't access My Profile.

7 hours ago, GaryS1964 said:

I don't have the original email. I signed up a few weeks ago and stored my login and password information in a password program and deleted the email. I can log in. I have received your emails. I just can't access My Profile.

We need a verified email account for security reasons. We've removed your original registration and user account.  Please logout (if you're logged in), and re-register.  You will then receive a new welcoming email including the link required to verify your email account. 

1 hour ago, Twhalen24 said:

Has anyone been signed up for beta yet? 

Not sure...I got an email last week about being part but I haven't heard anything from the emails I sent back except a mass mailer saying they will respond eventually. Starting to get a little concerned they are just overwhelmed and not quite ready.

1 hour ago, Wlepse said:

I got an email last week about being part but I haven't heard anything from the emails I sent back except a mass mailer saying they will respond eventually.

That's my status as well.

I received similar email today. That's why I asked if anyone had officially been offered to do beta testing yet. 

I plan on waiting to see what becomes of this an arcus before I purchase anything else. 

Has anyone else received this email today 

Hi Tim

We have added this page to the website, which may answer your questions. If not, then please let us know.

https://www.systronicsrf.com/q-and-a/beta-test-preparation.html

If you would like to be part of the Beta testing, then please confirm, and let us have your postal address, so that we can send you a Micro SD card containing the software for insertion in the Raspberry Pi.

I was hopefull about SystronicsRF, but unfortunately I think the timing of the iris shut down is not in their favor.
It just seems that it's not far enough along, and would need several more months minimum to hold up as a legitimate replacement. Our fears of loosing our investment in V1 devices are diminished by the generous offer to reimburse us at a rate that can reasonably replace all the impacted equipment.
SystronicsRF looks promising, but I'm going to have to move to something which is a bit more "tried and true"... The good news is, once they really get all the bugs worked out there will probably be an abundance of used iris V1 devices available at dirt cheap prices. I doubt I will throw away my sensors... Most likely I'll box it all up to see what happens with systronics in the future.

I am included in the Beta test pool and have been told that the test software will be sent out next week.  Ready to go and will keep you posted on progress once I receive.  

14 hours ago, pavalov said:

That's my status as well.

We’ve been communicating with existing Iris users in a variety of ways, including the forum, PMs on the forum, the website, and by email.

We have been unable to identify you on the website from your forum name.  Can you please email me at adrian@systronicsrf.com, and I will get it sorted.

We will be adding field to the user’s personal profile area on the website for their forum name, which will help in future.

7 hours ago, Twhalen24 said:

Has anyone else received this email today 

Hi Tim

We have added this page to the website, which may answer your questions. If not, then please let us know.

https://www.systronicsrf.com/q-and-a/beta-test-preparation.html

If you would like to be part of the Beta testing, then please confirm, and let us have your postal address, so that we can send you a Micro SD card containing the software for insertion in the Raspberry Pi.

I received a similar email this morning. I sent them my mailing address. I'm ready to roll, hardware in-hand. Hopefully this community effort can help create something viable before the 'offline deadline' IRIS has promised us.

8 minutes ago, Terminal said:

Got my hardware on order today should all be here by Saturday. 

So as soon as I can get the software I am ready to go. 

Same. Ready to learn something new.

Hey all....

Got my email this AM to become part of the BETA.  Unfortunately, I can't wait around long enough to play with this system and I am going to SmarThings/Ring.  Heads up, Costco has a killer deal on the flood light camera ones $199 a pop after $49 off. If any of you are interested I have a bunch of Gen 1 stuff I want to dump so before I pack it away in a box let me know if you want to take it all of my hands for a reasonable amount. All of the items in excellent working order. Free shipping. Email me jroyas@gmail.com

1 x Iris Gen 1 Keypad

4 x Iris Gen 1 Smart Buttons

45 x Iris Gen 1 Smart Plugs (Yes, 45!)

8 x Iris Gen 1 Contact Sensors

9 x Iris Gen 1 Motion Sensors

4 x Indoor Camera RC8221

4 x Outdoor Camera OC821