SystronicsRF
10 10

140 posts in this topic

I have set up/registered the hub and started testing a few devices. So far, it has worked well and responds VERY quickly. I have not shifted any of my 'in use' devices over yet, just some of the extras I had laying around.

I'm not sure at this point how much we are supposed to discuss in the forum, how far we are expected to push our test setups, or what Systronics wants us to actually be testing. Still waiting for additional direction, i guess. It seems that right now @SystronicsRF is having to deal with shipping and other things. . . I'm patient.

16 minutes ago, ZBMAN said:

I think systronics is going to be late to the party! 

They already are.  They need to have a viable product today, not a closed beta supporting only v1 devices.  IMO, their best bet is to abandon the hub concept and release the “hub” as a bridge to other home automation platforms.

10 hours ago, IrisUsers said:

They already are.  They need to have a viable product today, not a closed beta supporting only v1 devices.  IMO, their best bet is to abandon the hub concept and release the “hub” as a bridge to other home automation platforms.

Just my opinion, I have nothing to do with SystronicsRF, but how can you say they are 'late'?

As far as I know their whole plan was underway before Iris announced they were closing the system down. I think this is supported by their comment the day that Lowes did announce Iris was shutting down.

So if anything they have attempted to accelerate their timetable to be able to reduce the coverage gap that Iris users who choose to move to their system will face because of Lowes unforeseen shutdown of Iris, not because of any foot-dragging on their part.

Not many, if any, other system is offering the ability to use your V1 devices that SystronicsRF is. ARCUS probably will because they will have access to the neutered Iris code (probably others do since it is supposed to become open source) but how far off is that?

You want to build a system such as this which is prone to glitches and bugs you can't toss the whole mix of pieces in and hope they all work. You need to incrementally add it up piece by piece, testing along the way to ensure there is reliability.

To do otherwise is to end up with something that resembles the rollout of Iris V2 which as I remember it will all loved for it's lack of buggy software and seamless transition from V1.

Just my opinion, I have nothing to do with SystronicsRF, but how can you say they are 'late'?
As far as I know their whole plan was underway before Iris announced they were closing the system down. I think this is supported by their comment the day that Lowes did announce Iris was shutting down.
So if anything they have attempted to accelerate their timetable to be able to reduce the coverage gap that Iris users who choose to move to their system will face because of Lowes unforeseen shutdown of Iris, not because of any foot-dragging on their part.
Not many, if any, other system is offering the ability to use your V1 devices that SystronicsRF is. ARCUS probably will because they will have access to the neutered Iris code (probably others do since it is supposed to become open source) but how far off is that?
You want to build a system such as this which is prone to glitches and bugs you can't toss the whole mix of pieces in and hope they all work. You need to incrementally add it up piece by piece, testing along the way to ensure there is reliability.
To do otherwise is to end up with something that resembles the rollout of Iris V2 which as I remember it will all loved for it's lack of buggy software and seamless transition from V1.

Late, because if their product was ready now, all these people who are going with other systems would be onboard with them. When everyone uses their refund for other systems, they’re not going to put out more money for an expensive cobbled together hub just to use old sensors. Just my opinion......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah they might have something if they could bridge v1 to ST.

Iris Who?

We should perhaps explain that we have not just suddenly shown up to address the needs of 1st Generation Iris users.  It is an ideal opportunity for us, and for the many Iris users looking to retain their existing, and often very large, 1st Generation systems.

We have been developing our home automation system for more than two years.  It’s also underpinned with decades of experience in the design and development of online systems, and high performance, mission critical, control systems.   

Addressing the needs of the 1st Generation Iris users is just the first stage, albeit a very important one.  As can be seen from our website, and from earlier our posts on the forum last year, our system already handles the more modern HA and LL ZigBee devices, and Z-Wave devices. 

Our attention only shifted fully onto the 1st Generation Iris systems last year, with the news that Lowe’s was looking to sell the Iris brand.  We are certainly doing our best to meet the end of March deadline, with the help of the Beta testers, but we’re also in it for the long haul. 

We should perhaps explain that we have not just suddenly shown up to address the needs of 1st Generation Iris users.  It is an ideal opportunity for us, and for the many Iris users looking to retain their existing, and often very large, 1st Generation systems.
We have been developing our home automation system for more than two years.  It’s also underpinned with decades of experience in the design and development of online systems, and high performance, mission critical, control systems.   
Addressing the needs of the 1st Generation Iris users is just the first stage, albeit a very important one.  As can be seen from our website, and from earlier our posts on the forum last year, our system already handles the more modern HA and LL ZigBee devices, and Z-Wave devices. 
Our attention only shifted fully onto the 1st Generation Iris systems last year, with the news that Lowe’s was looking to sell the Iris brand.  We are certainly doing our best to meet the end of March deadline, with the help of the Beta testers, but we’re also in it for the long haul. 

How many users do you need to be viable? I have hundreds of V1 devices, but I don’t think I can wait. Are you going to offer professional monitoring? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, sparc said:

They are late because in about a month Iris will be shutting down.  At that time, they'll still be in a closed beta with very limited functionality.  Perhaps caught off guard by the announcement (I was not), they can only accelerate their release timeline so far.  By the time Iris is done, I would guess 95% of Iris customers would have already moved on to another platform.  If not more.

The concept of offering V1 device support is niche, at best.  Most estimated I've read indicate Iris only sold 10-15k hubs.  That's not a ton of devices and all of the AlertMe/Iris V1 devices are based on technology that is almost a decade old.  There is one common reason why no other company has tried to offer V1 device support...  It's not profitable, and may also be of questionable legality.

I do agree, rushing their release would be akin to the Iris V2 launch which was a train wreck.   That said, their decision to intially cater to the Iris customer base (who is already deserting the platform en-mass) when they already claim to support common HA devices, seems like a questionable business decision to me.

Well in my opinion they are late by your standards/expectations not by anything they promised to this group or Iris users in general.

If you can't wait, if you can't be without HA or security for a couple weeks or months for whatever reason (which may be perfectly valid reasons not disputing that) then I guess you will have to move on to something else.

But that decision by you as I see it is based on your assumptions of when a viable product would be available not on any promises that they made which they have not kept.

I recall reading a post last summer about the beta starting before the end of the year.  If true, they are late based on the expectations which they set.

I think it's going to be far more than a couple months until a viable, stable product is achieved.   There are a lot of nuances to work out for a successful platform.  You already know this as a long time Iris user, so I'm preaching to the choir here.  But things like device support, 3rd party integrations, automation capabilities require a ton of development effort.  Lowe's couldn't (or wouldn't) keep up over the entire lifespan of V2.  These guys only started a few months ago, and their list of supported devices is very, very tiny. 

I'm all for competition, and wish them well.  Who knows, when they get a product maybe I'll buy one to check out.  However right now the reality is the timing of the Iris shutdown relative to their development schedule is working against their success.

31 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

I recall reading a post last summer about the beta starting before the end of the year.  If true, they are late based on the expectations which they set.

I think it's going to be far more than a couple months until a viable, stable product is achieved.   There are a lot of nuances to work out for a successful platform.  You already know this as a long time Iris user, so I'm preaching to the choir here.  But things like device support, 3rd party integrations, automation capabilities require a ton of development effort.  Lowe's couldn't (or wouldn't) keep up over the entire lifespan of V2.  These guys only started a few months ago, and their list of supported devices is very, very tiny. 

I'm all for competition, and wish them well.  Who knows, when they get a product maybe I'll buy one to check out.  However right now the reality is the timing of the Iris shutdown relative to their development schedule is working against their success.

Put yourself in the shoes of any new startup.
When IRIS was still working, it was very hard for SystronicsRF to get many people to be willing to try something new in beta.

But when the Shut Down Announcement came, EVERYONE is suddenly willing to try something new.  That is not SystronicsRF's fault.

As a Beta Tester, and as an IRIS user since 2012, I can testify that systronicsRF has been more productive in each DAY since the Beta began, than IRIS ever was in a month or maybe 3 months.

These guys know what they are doing, AND they don't have to wait for any red tape, they just have solutions DONE when we wake up the very next morning.

Oh, and this is a lot more further developed than I was assuming before I saw it.  All the features that I used in IRIS are in here.  Truthfully one is there but not activated, but it will be active real soon.  And the most valuable features that IRIS promised for 3 years and never delivered are here:  I decide when to upgrade, AND all local processing -- the entire system still works when my Internet is down...  timed events still happen, and I can still turn stuff on and off.

As-is-today, this is a better system overall than IRIS was for me over the last 6 1/2 years.  Be patient my friend, it will be worth it.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:29 PM, EyeRuss said:

As a Beta Tester, and as an IRIS user since 2012, I can testify that systronicsRF has been more productive in each DAY since the Beta began, than IRIS ever was in a month or maybe 3 months.

These guys know what they are doing, AND they don't have to wait for any red tape, they just have solutions DONE when we wake up the very next morning.

Oh, and this is a lot more further developed than I was assuming before I saw it.  All the features that I used in IRIS are in here.  Truthfully one is there but not activated, but it will be active real soon.  And the most valuable features that IRIS promised for 3 years and never delivered are here:  I decide when to upgrade, AND all local processing -- the entire system still works when my Internet is down...  timed events still happen, and I can still turn stuff on and off.

As-is-today, this is a better system overall than IRIS was for me over the last 6 1/2 years.  Be patient my friend, it will be worth it.

I concur with EyeRuss's assessment.  As a fellow Beta tester, I've got all my Gen 1 device types paired into the SystronicsRF system and a handful of each gen2 and Z-wave.  These devices include smart plugs, motion sensors, door sensors, smart buttons, key fobs, siren, flood sensors, and Leaksmart Water shutoff valve.  24 devices all communicating with the hub and triggering events.  

The logic to building actions is very powerful but will take some time to add all the functionality to the action builders, but it's going very quickly and the folks working on it are doing a great job on a short fuse.  

I'm pretty close to turning off my Iris hub for good and feel that we're about a week or so away from enough capability to do that.  The issues so far have been mostly around pairing of devices to the system, but that process gets better every day.

I think in the long run, this is going to be a very flexible solution.  The idea of not getting locked into any of the other ecosystems is attractive.  This approach provides the ability to adapt if communication protocols migrate to another RF scheme by adding another external RF adapter and integrating into the Control System code.  I'm confident enough that I've started picking a bunch of extra Iris gen1 sensors on the cheap on eBay.

These devices have been profiled for use with the new SystronicsRF system, and devices of each type have been paired to the system, and are functioning correctly.  The finalized profiles will not be available for some of these devices for downloading until Monday.

First Alert Smoke Alarm
   First Alert Smoke & CO Alarm

GE Light Switch
   GE Dimmer Switch
   GE Duplex Outlet
   GE Plug-In Switch – Indoor
   GE Plug-In Switch - Outdoor
   GE Fan Switch
   GE On Off Relay Switch

Iris 1st Generation Range Extender
   Iris 1st Generation Smart Plug
   Iris 1st Generation Door Sensor
   Iris 1st Generation Motion Sensor
   Iris 1st Generation Senior Pendant
   Iris 1st Generation Security Keypad
   Iris 1st Generation Security Key Fob

Iris 2nd Generation Smart Plug
   Iris 2nd Generation Motion Sensor
   Iris 2nd Generation Security Keypad
   Iris 2nd Generation 4 Button Key Fob

Iris Garage Door Controller
   Iris Indoor Water Sensor

LeakSmart Leak Sensor
   LeakSmart Water Shutoff Valve

Leviton Decora Smart Switch
   Leviton Dimmer Switch
   Cree A19 Light Bulb
   Linear Dimmer Switch

NYCE Tilt Sensor

Osram Lightify A19 Smart Bulb
   Osram Lightify A19 Tunable White Light Bulb
   Osram Lightify PAR38 Flood Light Bulb
   Osram Lightify BR30 Flood Light Bulb
   Osram Lightify 4 Button Switch

Radio Thermostat CoA Thermostat - Deferred due to additional work required on Actions related to heating system.

Utilitech Flood Sensor
   Utilitech Glass Break Sensor
   Utilitech Indoor Siren

In addition to the profiling that was undertaken prior to the start of the Beta Test Program, this profiling has been ongoing for just over a week. 

The aim is to profile all of the devices that are currently being used in conjunction with the 1st Generation Iris devices.

The next stage is to complete the profiling of the 2nd and 3rd Generation Iris devices, together with more GE devices, and other commonly used devices, before moving onto the Schlage and Kwikset door locks.

Edited by SystronicsRF
Rescheduling

How close to GA are you?  From your list, all of my devices are now covered, and I have my Pi and Zigbee radio in hand.  Eagerly awaiting the opportunity to get moving, and contribute where I can!!!

Mike

1 hour ago, mr_mike59 said:

How close to GA are you?  From your list, all of my devices are now covered, and I have my Pi and Zigbee radio in hand.  Eagerly awaiting the opportunity to get moving, and contribute where I can!!!

Mike

Actually have the Genie Aladdin Connect Garage Door Opener as well, if you still need to develop an integration for that.

Mike

On 3/8/2019 at 7:01 AM, SystronicsRF said:

These devices have been profiled for use with the new SystronicsRF system, and devices of each type have been paired to the system, and are functioning correctly.  The finalized profiles will not be available for some of these devices for downloading until Monday.

In addition to the profiling that was undertaken prior to the start of the Beta Test Program, this profiling has been ongoing for just over a week. 

The aim is to profile all of the devices that are currently being used in conjunction with the 1st Generation Iris devices.

The next stage is to complete the profiling of the 2nd and 3rd Generation Iris devices, together with more GE devices, and other commonly used devices, before moving onto the Schlage and Kwikset door locks.

Hi....just curious on whether you are going to do all of the referenced profiling during the Beta program, and not release the software until all of the above are completed?  As we are about 3 weeks from the Iris shutdown, I was wondering what intermediary milestones are anticipated prior to release of the product.

I am planning on migrating to your platform. I registered on your site in early February, but unfortunately didn't get into the Beta program. I have entered data/devices into my profile, and am in the process of procuring the hub hardware.  I should be ready to go in about a week and eagerly await software availability.

On 3/10/2019 at 6:16 PM, Whyris said:

Hi....just curious on whether you are going to do all of the referenced profiling during the Beta program, and not release the software until all of the above are completed?  As we are about 3 weeks from the Iris shutdown, I was wondering what intermediary milestones are anticipated prior to release of the product.

I am planning on migrating to your platform. I registered on your site in early February, but unfortunately didn't get into the Beta program. I have entered data/devices into my profile, and am in the process of procuring the hub hardware.  I should be ready to go in about a week and eagerly await software availability.

The majority of the devices on the list have already been profiled.  I currently have over 130 devices connected to the system.  This includes a mix of V1 and V2 devices along with several Z-Wave switches and plugs.  The system is using less than 10% of the Pi’s processing capability.

The guys from SystronisRF are working 7 days a week and things are progressing quickly.

2 hours ago, paracanary said:

I haven't seen any mention of Iris cameras.  Does the 130 devices you mentioned include V1 or V2 cameras

No, I am using Blue Iris for my cameras.

Edit: SystronicsRF will be profiling the Iris Gen 1 & 2 cameras next week.

I’m sorry if I’ve missed this somewhere, but what’s the business plan for Systronics RF? Like do they plan to sell the software for a one-time fee? If so, what’s the total cost of the hub setup likely to be when you add in hardware as well? I’ve seen some people here saying they spent around $150 on hardware alone.

Phatalbert1000

From my memory, it would be a one time fee in line with other systems.  An internet connection would be required to register the software to the hub and then it would not be needed.  I think the software is tied to the hub.  If you lose the hub, you have to buy new software (my interpretation).  Deactivation of the software so you could install software on a new hub was not mentioned.  Updates for new functions would be charged but voluntary.  I sent about $150,  but a Raspberry pi can be used for a lot of other things if you do not like the software.  I think I am going to like the software from what I have read.

edit:

Then there will be a small monthly charge for cloud services if you want that.  Something similar to vpn

Is the IRIS V1 Button going to be profiled for SystronicsRF? I use several of these buttons to control smart plugs creating a half-way switch essentially. I see the AlertMe Button on SystronicsRF website but not the IRIS V1 Button. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Philips21 said:

Is the IRIS V1 Button going to be profiled for SystronicsRF? I use several of these buttons to control smart plugs creating a half-way switch essentially. I see the AlertMe Button on SystronicsRF website but not the IRIS V1 Button. Thanks!

Yes it is.

I prefer the V1 smart buttons over the V2 version. I too have a number of them in use. Unfortunately I have not been able to get SmartThings to recognize them as with most V1 Iris devices.