Water leak Drop outs

9 posts in this topic

Purchased 3 Iris branded water leak sensors, they are obviously 3315s same as smart things and PEQs.  After pairing units and distributing them in the house all 3 have lost connection 12 hours later, they are all flashing blue led.  I reset and repaired one and it seems to be staying online.  Not sure what happened.

12 hours ago, Devi8 said:

Purchased 3 Iris branded water leak sensors, they are obviously 3315s same as smart things and PEQs.  After pairing units and distributing them in the house all 3 have lost connection 12 hours later, they are all flashing blue led.  I reset and repaired one and it seems to be staying online.  Not sure what happened.

I recently purchased and installed two of those sensors and had the same thing happen -- within 12 hours they both lost connection.  However, removing and reinstalling the batteries got them back online and they have been stable ever since (14 days).

Vettester, last paired does not reflect the last time connectivity was lost/restored, at least not on my three 3315s. All were purchased and paired on 11/16/2017 and that is the date shown as "Last Paired" in the app. But two of them lose their connection with the hub almost EVERY DAY for a few hours then reconnect on their own. I have yet to figure out why. Only reasonable explanation is distance from the hub, but there are smart plugs between them and the hub that should be relaying their signal. I am thinking there may be some equipment that is running in the house that creates interference but I have not found a correlation to support that yet. The hub and leak detectors are stationary so the RF path should not be changing and both are no more than 30 feet from the hub with at least one device that acts as a ZigBee repeater between them and the hub. The third detector is only 8 feet from the hub and stays connected.

I think I will try swapping them out one by one placing them in the position of LD #3 (next to the water heat in basement and less than 8 feet from the hub) and see if they stay connected. And also see how LD #3 behaves in the more remote locations of LD #1 (~22 ft.) and LD #2 (~28 ft.).

I do also have several PEQ and Smart things sensors that are essentially the same sensor as the Iris branded one. None of them have given me this issue even though they are "unsupported devices" 

3 hours ago, sparc said:

Vettester, last paired does not reflect the last time connectivity was lost/restored, at least not on my three 3315s.

I'm well aware that last paired is not an indication of connectivity and I didn't say it was.  My point was is that I have had these paired for a long period of time with no issues.

1 hour ago, sparc said:

Unfortunately I can only say that for one of my three.

I think you should remove them, factory reset the 3315 and repair them. Let them sit near the hub for a few days

Did that with my miss behaving units and they now seem fine