Hubitat

10 posts in this topic

I bought one a while back, I was able to add some of my v2 Iris sensors but I haven't been impressed with their interface, lack of an app, no GeoFencing, lack of although slowly growing support for online devices.  So I haven't put much in it, or spent much time with it in the last few months.  I keep it updated and keep hoping for improvements, they have a web dashboard now that is reminiscent of SmartTiles although I've added things and it takes too long for them to show up in it correctly and I'd rather have an app which would hopefully be faster and look nicer.

4 hours ago, Terk said:

I bought one a while back, I was able to add some of my v2 Iris sensors but I haven't been impressed with their interface, lack of an app, no GeoFencing, lack of although slowly growing support for online devices.  So I haven't put much in it, or spent much time with it in the last few months.  I keep it updated and keep hoping for improvements, they have a web dashboard now that is reminiscent of SmartTiles although I've added things and it takes too long for them to show up in it correctly and I'd rather have an app which would hopefully be faster and look nicer.

I find the fact that it doesn't have a app and you want one very amusing, when. The V2 iris hub came out people where getting there pitch forks that there wasn't a web portal

Hi all,

I'm just about finished moving my 400+ devices over to Hubitat.  In the 3 years I've been with SmartThings I've gradually outgrown the system and recently Samsung has been siltently signalling the change to a much more closed ecosystem targeted at customers who purchase their other products like home appliances etc.   I've been following Hubitats development since they announed it about a year ago.  It is impressive what a group of disgruntled former SmartThings customers can do in such a short amount of time.  Imagine where Iris would be right now if similar efforts had been made?

Anyhow, for those looking at the platform, it lacks a couple things that Iris has, although with the rumors of a platform shutdown, this may be moot. First there's no mobile app (it's coming), so you need to rely on a very basic web interface.  You can build dashboards which is nice, but it's time consuming.  With no app, there's no push notifications.  There's a native driver for Pushover, and if you're willing to pay a one-time cost of $5 to Pushover, you can do some pretty powerful single and group notifications within Hubitat.  They also support Life360 for geofencing which for me works better than SmartThings geofencing.

There's no option for cellular, nor is there any option for 3rd party monitoring.  The platform is not without its issues too.  The recent updates broke some automations.  Some locks aren't fully supported yet, and the Iris Smart Plugs don't make the best Zigbee routers as I'm learning (by mapping the network with XCTU).

The plusses are the fact that it's 100% local (except cloud integrations), has both a powerful lighting app, dedicated motion lighting app, and a very powerful rules engine.  For example, you can tie dimmer levels in most automations to system mode allowing lower light levels at night for example.  There's support for Hue including Hue Groups. There's a built-in app for creating scenes and device groups, both of which use Zigbee extensions.  If you've never used Zigbee multicast it's pretty impressive.  Imagine turning on 30 Iris Smart Plugs in under 1 second!

For those who do not mind tinkering, Hubitat is a decent platform to consider.

20 hours ago, Devi8 said:

Sounds like my next HUB, too bad I really liked Iris, wish I didn't buy that v3. I still can't believe Lowe's is selling DOA Hubs

I find it strange that they're still selling hubs.  I mean, I suppose it's possible that they'll find a buyer.  But look at this from a business standpoint.  Why would they invest time and money in software development to create a system to push out that "Iris Shut Down" alert, if that fate had not already been decided?  Lowe's 4th quarter earnings call is coming up in about a month, I bet that's about the time the official announcement will come.

Anyhow, back to Hubitat.  They also just announced a v2 hub at CES and a soon-to-be-released mobile app.  So those concerned about the lack of an app should know it's coming.  The platform isn't as stable as I would like, but they're working on it with updates coming about every 2 weeks.  One unique feature of Hubitat is that you can actually run 2 hubs and keep them in sync, splitting automations and even devices across them both.  That's something I may do when the new hub comes out.

4 hours ago, IrisUsers said:

I find it strange that they're still selling hubs.  I mean, I suppose it's possible that they'll find a buyer.  But look at this from a business standpoint.  Why would they invest time and money in software development to create a system to push out that "Iris Shut Down" alert, if that fate had not already been decided?  Lowe's 4th quarter earnings call is coming up in about a month, I bet that's about the time the official announcement will come.

Anyhow, back to Hubitat.  They also just announced a v2 hub at CES and a soon-to-be-released mobile app.  So those concerned about the lack of an app should know it's coming.  The platform isn't as stable as I would like, but they're working on it with updates coming about every 2 weeks.  One unique feature of Hubitat is that you can actually run 2 hubs and keep them in sync, splitting automations and even devices across them both.  That's something I may do when the new hub comes out.

It honestly doesn't matter how polished hubitat is, I have 60 devices that are going to need a new home, I lived through iris V2 evolution I can do it again.  I'm assuming with no buyer Lowe's will have to give consumers a time line on shutdown.  I don't think it can be just a immediate thing, or at least hope not.