Shut Down?

19 posts in this topic

This not what I wanted to hear. I have 50-60 gen 1 devices that won't work anywhere else. I was hoping to have a few months to try out SystronicsRF to see how viable that was and if not go to ST. But if this happens soon I might just go right to ST and slowly replace these older devices.

I didn’t have to restart the hub or anything. I have over 100 devices and have loved my system. I will admit, I have arlo cameras and they are a lot nicer than Iris cameras. I was on vacation and was worried my dog walker wouldn’t be able to get in. All I know is that line of code exists in the system and someone would make it if there wasn’t a chance of using it. 

I didn’t have to restart the hub or anything. I have over 100 devices and have loved my system. I will admit, I have arlo cameras and they are a lot nicer than Iris cameras. I was on vacation and was worried my dog walker wouldn’t be able to get in. All I know is that line of code exists in the system and someone would make it if there wasn’t a chance of using it. 

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/12/2019 at 5:29 PM, Devi8 said:

I seriously would never set foot in a Lowe's ever again if they kill iris

Making the sort of decisions they have lately, there is a chance there won't be a Lowe's for you to set foot in if they keep on.

I'm afraid this is real.  Lowe's would not be testing this alert if it was not going to happen.  It's likely someone jumped the gun, or there was a bug during testing.  It's likely there will be no buyer, and nobody here should be surprised by that.  It's a very small ecosystem (rumored 10-20k hubs) when compared to competitors.  The reality is that Lowe's wasn't able to make a reasonable profit, if any at all.  Any prospective buyer would look at that balance sheet and walk away. Lacking intellectual property, patents (that I'm aware), or a significant paying customer base, there's not much value to a potential buyer.  After all, it is built off of Centralites Jira platform, Lowe's just built a standard driver model, rules engine, and UI on top of it.

Just look at what happens with Staples Connect.  Z-Wave Devices bought it and thought they could make a go at it.  They finally gave up last year and shut it down.  Iris is unfortunately headed towards the same fate I'm afraid.  That's a shame, had Lowe's made a real effort, they could have built something truly unique and powerful.  They didn't.

Edit:  Looking at the Iris community forum, it appears that it's been 2 weeks since the last post by anyone on the Iris staff.  I'd say the wheels are already in motion.

I guess it's possible that someone could buy it and roll it into an existing platform... in which case they wouldn't need/want the iris app.
It's probably possible that a simple USB stick and firmware update could enable compatibility with V1 devices with someone elses hub. It's also possible someone like Samsung could flash our hubs and turn them into smartthings hubs and automatically transition our systems over to smart things... But I can't see financially how any of this would make sense. Most of these other platforms make money on the hardware and offer the service for free. If they already have their own platform, and they aren't going to be charging a monthly fee for the users they gain, what would they actually be purchasing from Lowes? What's the point in adding 10-20k users to your user base if it's gonna cost development dollars to interface their existing equipment and there is no additional revenue stream coming from it? How is there any money to be made? Seems like adding more burden to an existing infrastructure for no reason.
The only way I see iris surviving is a newcomer to the market swiping it up. It's possible that it is "profitable" but small potatoes compared to Lowe's core business... If they are generating 100's of thousands of dollars from iris, it's likely that focusing those resources elsewhere would net a better return... but then we are back to the shutdown notice not making any sense. 

The more likely scenario is that they THOUGHT they had a buyer but the deal went south, and now they are looking at just shutting down all together.
Then there is the thought that the shutdown code could have been added a long time ago, possibly shortly after the V2 blunder that everyone thought they would not turn around... That would be an ironic and very untimely thing to turn up at this point. Another thought, maybe the buyer wants to relaunch the product under a new label to avoid any negative comparisons to the "old iris"... in which case it may be easier to to re-release a rebranded app and ditch the old one. Either way, why isn't anyone from iris jumping in to explain unless they are all too busy packing up their offices?

Alarm Continues Arming Itself

My Iris alarm - for some reason - has been arming itself while I’ve been home. It’s happened about 4 times since 5:30p EST. The History log is claiming that my “All Fobs Away” rule is triggering it, but my fob is in-house and the battery is showing good. I just rebooted my hub, so hopefully that fixes it

Anybody else experiencing weirdness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, steeladonis said:

Alarm Continues Arming Itself

My Iris alarm - for some reason - has been arming itself while I’ve been home. It’s happened about 4 times since 5:30p EST. The History log is claiming that my “All Fobs Away” rule is triggering it, but my fob is in-house and the battery is showing good. I just rebooted my hub, so hopefully that fixes it

Anybody else experiencing weirdness?

I haven't had this issue today, but this is exactly what happens at my place when they are working on updates.  I have noticed that an update comes within a day or two of my fobs leaving/arriving mysteriously.

Also happens when one fob is home and battery is weak, but sounds like you've checked that.

I haven't had this issue today, but this is exactly what happens at my place when they are working on updates.  I have noticed that an update comes within a day or two of my fobs leaving/arriving mysteriously.
Also happens when one fob is home and battery is weak, but sounds like you've checked that.

Well, the batteries check out, but the fob doesn’t seem to respond when I press the buttons. I mean, I always had to STAND on the dang buttons for it to work anyway (‘cause the Gen 2 fobs were pretty much garbage) - but now I’m gettin’ nothin’.

Oh - and my alarm just armed again - so the hub reboot didn’t work...

14 minutes ago, steeladonis said:

Well, the batteries check out, but the fob doesn’t seem to respond when I press the buttons. I mean, I always had to STAND on the dang buttons for it to work anyway (‘cause the Gen 2 fobs were pretty much garbage) - but now I’m gettin’ nothin’.

Oh - and my alarm just armed again - so the hub reboot didn’t work...

Which version key fob?  1, 2, or 3?  Version 1 has confirmation LEDs, which helps in diagnosis.  Version 2 sucks almost as bad as the version 2 smart button, but I still use 2 of them.  I don't have any experience with the last version which looks just like the version 2 but with different symbols for the buttons.

NM, just saw it's a version 2.  I would replace the battery and re-check.  Then remove and re-pair if it were mine.  

Edited by rdisom
Saw part of message