Shut Down?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, thegillion said:

Well click the "Learn More"

It just went to the basic Lowe’s Iris site. I feel like it was a glitch I want meant to see that’s for a future announcement. 

I don’t think we would have seen that if it wasn’t going to happen. Not trying to be pessimistic but stuff like that just doesn’t create itself. Maybe that’s if there isn’t a buyer? The plot thickens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have to reset your hub?  Maybe it crashed and that's the message you get?

I seriously would never set foot in a Lowe's ever again if they kill iris

This not what I wanted to hear. I have 50-60 gen 1 devices that won't work anywhere else. I was hoping to have a few months to try out SystronicsRF to see how viable that was and if not go to ST. But if this happens soon I might just go right to ST and slowly replace these older devices.

I didn’t have to restart the hub or anything. I have over 100 devices and have loved my system. I will admit, I have arlo cameras and they are a lot nicer than Iris cameras. I was on vacation and was worried my dog walker wouldn’t be able to get in. All I know is that line of code exists in the system and someone would make it if there wasn’t a chance of using it. 

I didn’t have to restart the hub or anything. I have over 100 devices and have loved my system. I will admit, I have arlo cameras and they are a lot nicer than Iris cameras. I was on vacation and was worried my dog walker wouldn’t be able to get in. All I know is that line of code exists in the system and someone would make it if there wasn’t a chance of using it. 

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/12/2019 at 5:29 PM, Devi8 said:

I seriously would never set foot in a Lowe's ever again if they kill iris

Making the sort of decisions they have lately, there is a chance there won't be a Lowe's for you to set foot in if they keep on.

I'm afraid this is real.  Lowe's would not be testing this alert if it was not going to happen.  It's likely someone jumped the gun, or there was a bug during testing.  It's likely there will be no buyer, and nobody here should be surprised by that.  It's a very small ecosystem (rumored 10-20k hubs) when compared to competitors.  The reality is that Lowe's wasn't able to make a reasonable profit, if any at all.  Any prospective buyer would look at that balance sheet and walk away. Lacking intellectual property, patents (that I'm aware), or a significant paying customer base, there's not much value to a potential buyer.  After all, it is built off of Centralites Jira platform, Lowe's just built a standard driver model, rules engine, and UI on top of it.

Just look at what happens with Staples Connect.  Z-Wave Devices bought it and thought they could make a go at it.  They finally gave up last year and shut it down.  Iris is unfortunately headed towards the same fate I'm afraid.  That's a shame, had Lowe's made a real effort, they could have built something truly unique and powerful.  They didn't.

Edit:  Looking at the Iris community forum, it appears that it's been 2 weeks since the last post by anyone on the Iris staff.  I'd say the wheels are already in motion.

I guess it's possible that someone could buy it and roll it into an existing platform... in which case they wouldn't need/want the iris app.
It's probably possible that a simple USB stick and firmware update could enable compatibility with V1 devices with someone elses hub. It's also possible someone like Samsung could flash our hubs and turn them into smartthings hubs and automatically transition our systems over to smart things... But I can't see financially how any of this would make sense. Most of these other platforms make money on the hardware and offer the service for free. If they already have their own platform, and they aren't going to be charging a monthly fee for the users they gain, what would they actually be purchasing from Lowes? What's the point in adding 10-20k users to your user base if it's gonna cost development dollars to interface their existing equipment and there is no additional revenue stream coming from it? How is there any money to be made? Seems like adding more burden to an existing infrastructure for no reason.
The only way I see iris surviving is a newcomer to the market swiping it up. It's possible that it is "profitable" but small potatoes compared to Lowe's core business... If they are generating 100's of thousands of dollars from iris, it's likely that focusing those resources elsewhere would net a better return... but then we are back to the shutdown notice not making any sense. 

The more likely scenario is that they THOUGHT they had a buyer but the deal went south, and now they are looking at just shutting down all together.
Then there is the thought that the shutdown code could have been added a long time ago, possibly shortly after the V2 blunder that everyone thought they would not turn around... That would be an ironic and very untimely thing to turn up at this point. Another thought, maybe the buyer wants to relaunch the product under a new label to avoid any negative comparisons to the "old iris"... in which case it may be easier to to re-release a rebranded app and ditch the old one. Either way, why isn't anyone from iris jumping in to explain unless they are all too busy packing up their offices?

7 hours ago, Smitho said:

Either way, why isn't anyone from iris jumping in to explain unless they are all too busy packing up their offices?

I wrote Mike at the Community Forum about the shut down notice. Here's our exchange - a very different vibe than he had a month ago with "Iris isn't going anywhere":

To: Community ManagerMikeS
yesterday
Mike: If you go to this link on the Living with Iris Forum, you'll see a screen shot of an Iris-generated notification received by a user that stated: "Iris Shut Down - With Our Sincere Apologies....." It may have been received in error, but code doesn't get written to give a message like that unless its use is contemplated.  I am writing you privately to ask you to address this.
MikeS
Community ManagerMikeS
Tuesday
Hi,   Thanks for letting me know about that post.   I can't comment about Iris beyond what Lowe's publicly announced back in November.   Thanks,   -Mike
To: Community ManagerMikeS

Thanks Mike. Do you mind if I share your response with the LWI Forum?
MikeS
Community ManagerMikeS
yesterday
Sure..... It doesn't provide any new information unfortunately.   -Mike

I don't have the large financial investment many of you have in Iris, but it was a significant effort over many months to convince my wife for us to use any "smart" system.  She did some of her own research and found reported issues with the ST line, etc., so I had to put together a very basic Iris system and add on to it as it proved it could be helpful and time saving with lighting, basic security, alerts to us about events around our house and farm, etc.  I have rules to turn on blowers since we heat with wood to move air in the winter, rules to activate Christmas lights, interior lights, accent lights, outdoor lights since we live out in the country,  various sensors to alert us of doors open, animals where they should not be, etc.  The system has done well, simply works, does not cost a fortune, and approved by my wife (which is priceless, in my opinion).

I hope some good news happens, and if not, our knowledgeable forum members can help each other find alternatives.

Notwithstanding all of the other information to the contrary (which could be coincidental), isn't it possible that this was nothing more than a notification of an abnormal application shutdown? I received this message immediately after the app became unresponsive for about 20 seconds, so that's how I interpreted it. One would think they would use more descriptive language such as "Iris services will be discontinued on Date X" if the Iris platform were indeed to be turned off. "Iris Shut Down" is typical of many application crash messages - sorely lacking any useful information or clarity whatever. 

On 1/19/2019 at 1:36 PM, hxn said:

Notwithstanding all of the other information to the contrary (which could be coincidental), isn't it possible that this was nothing more than a notification of an abnormal application shutdown? I received this message immediately after the app became unresponsive for about 20 seconds, so that's how I interpreted it. One would think they would use more descriptive language such as "Iris services will be discontinued on Date X" if the Iris platform were indeed to be turned off. "Iris Shut Down" is typical of many application crash messages - sorely lacking any useful information or clarity whatever. 

I considered this as well, however the screen shot is from iOS and I'm pretty sure this is not an iOS message. I've searched google and can find no references or screen shots of iOS presenting a dialog with that specific language when an app shuts down. In fact, I'm pretty sure when an iOS app terminates abnormally it simply closes and doesn't display any sort of error.
I hope you are right, but I just feel like there are too many additional indicators of what is to come, and no one from iris has jumped in to explain it if that was the case.

Just went to a local Louisiana Lowes that is close to me...the Iris end cap display has been replaced with Craftsman tools...all that was left in the Iris side display around from the the end cap was just a few old marked Iris down pieces such as 1st gen keypads and motion sensors & yard signs...dust covered & torn open/returned. The GE smart switches that used to be displayed with Iris stuff were moved to a newer display near the Nest & other smart home stuff...nothing Iris in this display.

It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings folks....What's that I hear in the distance?? I've heard her warming up before but now I think she's ready to walk out on stage and sing. Sad, sad...

I saw the exact same message on Android - so it looks like it's an app-generated message - and not platform-specific. I do agree that it does look pretty grim for Iris, however, and the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. 

On 1/23/2019 at 4:11 PM, mojo2600 said:

Just went to a local Louisiana Lowes that is close to me...the Iris end cap display has been replaced with Craftsman tools...all that was left in the Iris side display around from the the end cap was just a few old marked Iris down pieces such as 1st gen keypads and motion sensors & yard signs...dust covered & torn open/returned. The GE smart switches that used to be displayed with Iris stuff were moved to a newer display near the Nest & other smart home stuff...nothing Iris in this display.

It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings folks....What's that I hear in the distance?? I've heard her warming up before but now I think she's ready to walk out on stage and sing. Sad, sad...

Pretty sure most end caps have been taken over by Craftsmen display,  There is only that one section by electrical now, hell they even have Halo displays still up at some stores. Most telling is how few stores actually have V3 hubs Available.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:11 PM, mojo2600 said:

the Iris end cap display has been replaced with Craftsman tools....

Another brand I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole right now....

23 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Another brand I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole right now....

Same here!
I Ryobi keeps me stopping in Home Depot. Iris keeps me going into Lowes.
Once iris is gone, I'm pretty much done with Lowes. It's literally the only reason I step foot in that store.
We recently started some remodeling. My wife and I have looked at a lot of materials in both stores and everything she has picked out has been from HD. She just seems to always find something there she likes better there.

I pretty much hate both. HD screwed us when we bought a new house so I try to only by stuff there when the deal is too good to pass up. In general I have had better luck with Lowe's CS but checking the Iris display has/was my main reason to go. With that gone I will gladly support my local hardware store and lumber yard.