System Costs
3 3

23 posts in this topic

The power supply the comes with that case kit may not be big enough. I think the recommendation was a 3A supply.

You don't have any 1G devices you are bringing forward? If you do you I think you will need a second ZigBee module.

2/1 Edit: Looking again I see you ordered two X1 sticks so you're good. My mistake.

Non-powered USB hubs always worried me, seen more than a couple dead USB controllers and ports that way. Not to mention flakey unreliable hardware problems due to things not getting enough power when you start splitting power from one port across multiple ports.

And good call on @C379776 on the XU-Z11, Here is a Mouser Link, currently $49

We are planning to use the 1st generation Iris devices, for those of you that have them, to get you started, and then move onto the HA devices and the Z-Wave devices.

If you have several Gen 1 devices, then you can test out the full functionality of the control system with just these devices, which will minimize your initial outlay.

All you will need is a Pi 3B+ (or a Pi 3B), a case, and one Digi XStick.   We would recommend also getting a 3A charger at the outset, in anticipation of adding more USB adapters.

You can then upgrade to all three networks by adding another Digi XStick, and the Aeotec Z-Stick.  You will also then need the USB hub, because the USB ports on the Pi are marginally too close together to accommodate all three USB adapters.

Incidentally, we have been running all three networks with the adapters connected via the AmazonBasics USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub.

Today several thousand Iris users were told we have 60 days to find a new solution since Lowes shutting down. I along with a lot of users would like to move to your solution. Can we get some beta access to try this out? we are desperate for a replacement

17 hours ago, Irisuser01 said:

so you can't use gen 2 devices or hubs?

Initially no, I think they are limiting to 1G devices during the initial beta testing, but that's just my guess. Makes sense to add one system at a time and work the bugs out. If you brought all three networks online at once it would complicate troubleshooting/debugging I would think but again just a guess on my part I am not involved in any way with SystronicsRF just going by what I have read here and on their website.

2 hours ago, sparc said:

Initially no, I think they are limiting to 1G devices during the initial beta testing, but that's just my guess. Makes sense to add one system at a time and work the bugs out. If you brought all three networks online at once it would complicate troubleshooting/debugging I would think but again just a guess on my part I am not involved in any way with SystronicsRF just going by what I have read here and on their website.

That's correct Sparc - we've updated the following thread

I only want a basic security system--not monitored. Basic meaning just a few door/windows sensors and a keypad with Utilitech Siren.

I only have gen 2 Iris hub and Gen 2 contact senors and Gen 2 keypads...I have no gen 1 Iris stuff.....sold it on here a few years ago. LOL

I know ST can use the keypads with a device handler but there is no delay for exit/entry.

Should I buy up a few Gen 1 door/window sensors & a couple of Gen 1 keypads now & invest in SystronicsRF hardware module to get a basic security system up & running for now?

45 minutes ago, mojo2600 said:

Should I buy up a few Gen 1 door/window sensors & a couple of Gen 1 keypads now & invest in SystronicsRF hardware module to get a basic security system up & running for now?

In theory sure, but at this point it is only theory as nothing has been released as far as I know.  They originally said they would release their beta in late January and here is is February so things are obviously not going exactly as planned.  This is not an easy task they are undertaking and delays should be expected.   Iris isn't giving much time to switch.  It seems ambitious to get through the first public beta release and get something out to the general public by March 31st.  If they have done some really good in house testing, and from the info on their website that seems like the case, perhaps they can..  We will have to wait and see.

I don't see how purchasing some V1 devices will help you get a working system from SystronicsRF any sooner. I believe they mentioned they had all the beta testers they could support already. Since beta testing as they put it will be only with V1 devices it doesn't sound like you'll get there any sooner unless they could take on more testers.

I would expect they are working on this as fast as they can and be able to offer a reliable system. There is no value in a half-baked solution. I think we've seen that a couple times unfortunately with Iris over the years.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:56 PM, Vettester said:
Just pulled the trigger on for the hardware required to get started with SystronicsRF.  With tax it came to $270.
1640062090_ScreenShot2019-01-30at10_35_12PM.png.a8fe94ca0b7fa1261fadbcea65a82442.png
 1486841292_ScreenShot2019-01-30at10_36_28PM.png.1b1843d75181d567bc3e102ce770c9bb.png

That's a big investment on a project just to make v1 devices work. ST hub is only $69.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Vettester said:

The way I look at it is I'm getting $3,774 back from Lowe's redemption process and from what I've learned about SystronicsRF so far it is going to be well worth it.

Are you testing SystronicsRF? I'm holding off on replacing iris for now. But leaning towards SystronicsRF just don't want to purchase hardware and then be left with no system if SystronicsRF fails. 

On 1/31/2019 at 6:14 AM, c379776 said:

The Digi XU-Z11 can be had for less a Mouser.

Mouser is out of the Digi stick until March (and they shipped me the wrong parts in error before they discovered they were out).

4 hours ago, pavalov said:

Mouser is out of the Digi stick until March (and they shipped me the wrong parts in error before they discovered they were out).

Digi Key has them,.

Well maybe not.  When I ordered mine about a week and half ago it said they had 49 in stock.  I just clicked the link in my receipt and it now says they have 0.  I got it last Saturday, but I haven't actually opened the package yet.  I opened the main package but not the last static bag they had it in.  All the part numbers are correct, I guess I better check it and make sure it actually is what I ordered.