Iris is Officially Done
11 11

172 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Terminal said:

I need to get the rest of my V1 devices I have laying around paired.  I didn't go through the whole process as I will wait until I get home.  I also have a spare HUB.   I wonder if you can list devices you don't currently have connected?

Wondering the same. On the phone with them but wait time is crazy as expected. 

10 minutes ago, joelh said:

I'll take you up on that!  I figured those were my two choices.  If you were to choose one to transition to, which would it be? 

For those who may remember the history, I dumped Iris about 3 years ago due to extreme platform stability.  (i.e. alarm going off at 3am daily)

SmartThings has been pretty good for me over the years.  I was working with their developers last January testing out the new Z-Wave firmware even before it hit their public beta program.

Lately, support has become very slow to respond, and as my system has grown I feel that I've outgrown the platform.   Like Iris, they've had their cloud issues over the years, but as my system has scaled upward, even the smallest outages have pretty far reaching impacts.

That said, I've recently moved to Hubitat, with only a few things left in SmartThings for now.   I recommend both, but Hubitat does have a few advantages that make it a good choice for me.  Here's a quick breakdown...

SmartThings:

• Pro: Has a mobile app.  Two of them.  Classic offers better performance and 3rd party app support.  The new app does not, but it's got a modern UI.
  • Pro: Many natively supported devices run locally.
  • Pro: SmartLighting, the app for controlling lights and switches runs completely local, assuming the driver selected is local.
  • Pro: Widest device support in the industry right now.  This includes official integrations for Arlo and Ring for example.  There's 3rd party support for Nest as well as others.
  • Pro: Great rules engine in WebCore.  Only drawback is WC is cloud-based.
  • Pro: Can get Scout monitoring.
  • Neutral: SmartHomeMonitor runs locally, if ALL devices being monitored AND all devices being controlled are local.  (hint: most of the time it's cloud dependent)
  • Neutral: No cellular backup.
  • Con: Support has become slow and unresponsive.
  • Con: No native Alexa or Google Home support.
  • Con: No support for Zigbee group messages (multicast)

Hubitat:

• Con: No mobile app.  Web UI for device control runs only on local LAN.  A "tiles" UI exists and can be accessed through the Hubitat cloud.
  • Pro: All natively supported devices run locally.
  • Pro: All apps run locally.
  • Neutral: Support for most Z-Wave and Zigbee devices that follow common standards..  No includes official integrations for Arlo and Ring.  There is 3rd party support for Nest as well as others.
  • Neutral: Several decent rules engines, including Rule Machine.  All rules run locally.
  • Con: No option for professional monitoring.
  • Pro: Hubitat Safety Monitor runs completely local.
  • Neutral: No cellular backup.
  • Pro: Support is very engaged and responsive to user needs.
  • Pro: Native Alexa & Google Home support (including Chromecast).
  • Pro: Support for Zigbee multicast allows for dozens of devices to be controlled simultaneously without any lag or "popcorn" effect.

There is one very unique feature of Hubitat, you can actually run multiple hubs and link them together in a parent-child relationship, where child devices and events are mirrored to the parent hub.  This makes it nice for larger systems in that you can distribute devices and automations across two hubs.  In fact you can even link a SmartThings Hub to Hubitat too, which is what I've built.

I have a basement hub (child) and a parent hub (2nd floor).  For example, presence is done on the basement hub which triggers mode changes on both hubs and sets the alarm system states accordingly.  By using this approach, I can have automation running in parallel for near instantaneous response times.

Hubitat isn't perfect.  There are some significant issues with meshes running a large number of routing devices (aka SmartPlugs).  That's something I'm working with their developers on through testing pre-release hub code.  

I switched to smart things a couple of years ago myself..  I only have Iris in my detached shop.  So it's not really a big deal  as my main setup is not effected.    Right now it showed they would give me a bit over $500.  I do have quite a few more V1 devices that are currently not connected. Hopefully I can add them and get a bit more.

I Just happened to pair a gen 1 motion sensor this morning.  It does not show up on the redemption list. 

Neither do the 2 wifi smart switches that I paired after getting the email

So the 3210-L plugs and the gen 2 door sensors will work with "other systems"?  None of these show up on my redemption list

Iris is intending to open source portions of its smart home software pending a third-party security review of the code and will name it Arcus. “Arcus” is the Roman name for the Greek goddess “Iris.”  Iris wants the smart home enthusiast and developer communities to be able to benefit from the hard work and development of its platform software.  The software will be part of the public domain and available for the community pending the third-party review of the code.  More details will be available over the coming weeks. 

26 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

That said, I've recently moved to Hubitat, with only a few things left in SmartThings for now.   I recommend both, but Hubitat does have a few advantages that make it a good choice for me.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown.  Would you say that Hubitat has more upside?  With the decline in SmartThings support response, I wonder if it has reached it's peak?  

2 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

If Iris is shutting down who says they’re actually going to have the money to pay out all these redemptions lol.

You would think they have done the math already. They already know how many of each of these devices are on their platform.
They likely used some sort of statistic to determine how many people would actually use the redemption program and put that money aside.

You would think they have done the math already. They already know how many of each of these devices are on their platform.
They likely used some sort of statistic to determine how many people would actually use the redemption program and put that money aside.

I would think too but

21 minutes ago, joelh said:

With the decline in SmartThings support response, I wonder if it has reached it's peak?

I would say that, but they're in a major pivot right now.  They have been slowly releasing a completely new API, piece by piece.  They're getting away from the legacy DIY grove platform where users are given a code editor in which they could write device drivers and apps.  That's clearly being geared now towards professional developers.

Then there's the new app.  The new app has some features that the old "classic" app lacks, but the classic apps supports a great deal more features and automations than the new app.  That's created a huge mess for support to deal with.

I do think that Samsung is just not willing to expend the added resources on support right now.  

Edit: For those wondering the future of SmartThings, Samsung claimed a year ago that it has a presence in 1 million homes.  That's a dubious claim to say the least, but the new app can be used in a "hub less" environment much like the Iris app can, so there is also merit to that claim.

Well, other than the fact that they are only giving 2 months notice, I guess the writing has been on the wall for 4-5 years now.  The migration to gen2 devices just killed the platform.  Gen2 was mostly a waste..yes, they had no choice....but Lowe's never really built much in their rewrite.  

I've got a ton of devices...I'm not sure if any platform will support devices like the water softener, water shutoff, cameras, etc.   This is going to be a real pain.  On the other hand, most of the new stuff I deploy is designed for either alexa or Samsung.  

What platform works best with Samsung home appliances, generic zwave devices, trane hvac, alexa compatibility, and nest compatibility.

8 minutes ago, MattM said:

I've got a ton of devices...I'm not sure if any platform will support devices like the water softener, water shutoff, cameras, etc.   This is going to be a real pain.  On the other hand, most of the new stuff I deploy is designed for either alexa or Samsung.  

I'm most sad about my water heater controller. It appears to connect directly to the iris servers in much the same way as the wifi switches.
Seems to me that this means it will be a complete brick in the future. It's obscure enough that, IF there was a way, I doubt anyone is going to bother with it.

10 minutes ago, MattM said:

Looks like someone has written a smartthings device handler for the leaksmart valve
https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-leaksmart-water-valve/48669

I really wish I had taken a screenshot of my redemption offer.
I was in such a rush I just wanted to get "first in line" and I don't remember what the exact amount was... I figured I would be able to go back and look at it, but now I have no proof of the amount.
I know it was upwards of $2,000.... but I'm not sure if it was $2,300 or $2,500 or what... 
Does anyone here have a list of devices and the amount they got for each one?

Just now, Devi8 said:

Do you keep everything and just get remebursted?

Sounded like it... I skimmed through the details, but I was really quick to pull the trigger...
I wish I would have taken some screen shots

So far, Hubitat seems to be the best replacement for IRIS - from what I gather - because it is being actively developed, has a strong community, doesn't have the reliability issues that smart things apparently does, nor the issues with Samsung dumbing down the management/app....

but, I'm still trying to figure out:

- Does the current hub have backup power?  Or anything to stay alive for a few minutes during power outage?  I'd put it on UPS probably anyway.

- How is the configuration backed up?

- Management via both wifi and lan?

- Both android app and web management?

- Since it tries to do nearly everything local, do I need to care about backup modem?  I already have that in my main router anyway so its redundant mostly.

- How extensible is it?  It seems to support something similar to smart things in allowing anyone to write their own device support?  Still, they are small fry so no official support from most 3rd parties?

- One thing I liked about iris was that video footage was hosted offsite, and that they had their own 'alarm 3rd party support' much like smart things has with ADT.... is their any support for offsite video footage or 3rd part alarm response with habitat?

- I'm still trying to figure out how stable the company and funding behind habitat is.  

2 minutes ago, MattM said:

but, I'm still trying to figure out:

- Does the current hub have backup power?  Or anything to stay alive for a few minutes during power outage?  I'd put it on UPS probably anyway.

- How is the configuration backed up?

- Management via both wifi and lan?

- Both android app and web management?

- Since it tries to do nearly everything local, do I need to care about backup modem?  I already have that in my main router anyway so its redundant mostly.

- How extensible is it?  It seems to support something similar to smart things in allowing anyone to write their own device support?  Still, they are small fry so no official support from most 3rd parties?

- One thing I liked about iris was that video footage was hosted offsite, and that they had their own 'alarm 3rd party support' much like smart things has with ADT.... is their any support for offsite video footage or 3rd part alarm response with habitat?

- I'm still trying to figure out how stable the company and funding behind habitat is.  

The hub does not have backup power.  There are some options out there.  The power draw is under 3 watts, so even a $30 lithium ion USB battery pack will work.

Configuration is backed up automatically.  You can restore a backup anytime.  You can also download a backup anytime.  You can also revert updates when needed too.

Management is LAN only.  The hub doesn't support WiFi.

No mobile apps.  It's all web-based.

The only reason you might want cellular backup is for maintaining cloud connected services (i.e. Alexa) during an internet outage.  Another reason would be notifications/sms.

It's very extensible.  You can code your own apps and drivers.  There's a maker API to control devices using web calls.  You an also link multiple hubs together.  This allows you to expand capacity, distribute automations for really fast response times, and also reduce the footprint of a hub failure.

There is no native camera support, nor do you want it.  Iris should have taught that lesson.  Look towards Arlo, Blink, or one of those platforms to diversify.

I cannot speak for the stability of the company.  I do know that they've announced a new hub that's coming soon.

Why not consider Apple's iHome platform.  If you have iOS products, including a HomePod, wouldn't this be a viable choice?  Or, is the real issue that you basically have to replace major components that Iris didn't reimburse us for... like AC controllers. 

Anyone know if the Iris Garage Door opener is included in the redemption?  According to their website, it's compatible with SmartThings so wasn't sure.  I've not had much luck since I've had it keeping it paired to the hub and didn't know if it was worth the hassle of trying to re-connect it yet again before running the redemption process.