Iris is Officially Done
11 11

172 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Smitho said:

I really wish I had taken a screenshot of my redemption offer.
I was in such a rush I just wanted to get "first in line" and I don't remember what the exact amount was... I figured I would be able to go back and look at it, but now I have no proof of the amount.
I know it was upwards of $2,000.... but I'm not sure if it was $2,300 or $2,500 or what... 
Does anyone here have a list of devices and the amount they got for each one?

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 1.50.29 PM.png

2 minutes ago, Pele10 said:

Anyone know if the Iris Garage Door opener is included in the redemption?  According to their website, it's compatible with SmartThings so wasn't sure.  I've not had much luck since I've had it keeping it paired to the hub and didn't know if it was worth the hassle of trying to re-connect it yet again before running the redemption process. 

I doubt they will be as they do work with smart things.  I can attest to that as I have two attached to smartthings and they work great.  

38 minutes ago, Terminal said:

I doubt they will be as they do work with smart things.  I can attest to that as I have two attached to smartthings and they work great.  

I have two garage door openers and they are not listed as eligible for redemption. 

BTW:  Been on hold now for an hour trying to get a few questions answered.  Has anyone been able to get through?

11 minutes ago, Pirate said:

I have two garage door openers and they are not listed as eligible for redemption. 

BTW:  Been on hold now for an hour trying to get a few questions answered.  Has anyone been able to get through?

I contacted the via DM on Twitter, no answer so far. Their reimbursement didn't include the 3 cameras I didn't have paired. I paired them, a NIB keypad and sensor. 

Asked them if I could get a new quote. 

For me I'm looking at Abode as a comprehensive system, or SimpliSafe for Security, for Wife, and SmartThings via dongle on my Nvidia Shield.

The biggest downfall for me are the thermostats. Well, having to pay someone to install new ones. 

3 hours ago, Smitho said:

I had, I think, 53 devices that are iris specific. I had a LOT of V1 stuff.
Now I get to invest weeks researching new setups and where to go from here... I have some ideas... the biggest thing I am going to want is something that puts SECURITY first and foremost, integrates fully with alexa, IFTTT, and harmony remotes.
I also want cameras that will work with FireTV. I think I should be able to put together a decent system for what I am getting back.

Have you considered VeraSecure? The last time I researched it, they were the only platform offering backup and restore. Considering the size of my installations, this is among the most important consideration. 

I contacted the via DM on Twitter, no answer so far. Their reimbursement didn't include the 3 cameras I didn't have paired. I paired them, a NIB keypad and sensor. 
Asked them if I could get a new quote. 
For me I'm looking at Abode as a comprehensive system, or SimpliSafe for Security, for Wife, and SmartThings via dongle on my Nvidia Shield.
The biggest downfall for me are the thermostats. Well, having to pay someone to install new ones. 

Let me know if you get through about the new quote. I had a several devices also that wasn’t paired up at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Pele10 said:

Anyone know if the Iris Garage Door opener is included in the redemption?  According to their website, it's compatible with SmartThings so wasn't sure.  I've not had much luck since I've had it keeping it paired to the hub and didn't know if it was worth the hassle of trying to re-connect it yet again before running the redemption process. 

I want to say no because it will work with other systems. My refund was from the iris devices so gen 1 door and window sensors and 150 per gen 1 outdoor camera's and gene and 2 keypads items like the Unitec siren and water leak sensors were not covered.

Yeah, this sucks!  Two questions.

1)  As with others, I did not screen shot my redemption (it's $445 I think), but more importantly, it listed the devices that are not compatible elsewhere.  Has anyone found a way to get the redemption list again, so I can easily figure out what I need to replace?

2)  My primary reason for starting with Iris was to control my sprinklers.  I have the Orbit Sprinkler Timer.  Does anyone know if this is supported elsewhere?

Received the notice and completed the redemption.  Approx $565 back.  Appreciate that Lowes is doing this, makes up for alot of the heartache of the V2 switchover...

I have already moved to the Ring alarm system in conjunction with the Ring Pro doorbell camera and Floodlight camera.  I find the products well made, and support decent, especially 2nd level.

Their app is well done, and the charges are reasonable.  I have also found the professional monitoring service to be well, professional.

I have previously done a complete review of the install process and the product on the "other vendors" section of this website.

You can find it there if interested.

So far we have:

V1 Range Extender - $30
V1 Smart Plug - $35
V1 Keypad - $45
V1 Contact Sensor - $23
V1 Motion - $30
V2 Hub - $100
Somfy Blind Controller - $128
Petsafe Door - $220
Orbit Sprinkler Timer - $130
V3 Hub - $150
V1 Indoor Camera - $130
V1 Outdoor Camera - $140
WiFi Smart Switch - $30
Keyfob - $25
Halo Plus Smoke Detector - $135

Anyone got any info on the following?
Halo smoke detector (not plus model)
V2 Indoor/Outdoor Camera
Wireless Security Camera
Water Heater
Water Softener
Care Pendant
V1 Smart Button

Thats all of the stuff I know of that only works with iris
Is there anything I am missing?

Hi Everyone,

Full disclosure up front: I’m writing from Vera Home Control. We heard the news today and want to let you know that we are here to help.

To begin with, should you choose Vera for your new smart home platform, we’ll be offering 30 minutes of our Vera EasyStart service for FREE. This personalized phone call with one of our best-in-class customer care representatives will make your onboarding to Vera as smooth as possible. We’re already integrated with many Iris-compatible devices, and are currently putting together bundles of controllers and additional devices designed exclusively for Iris users, so keep an eye out in this space for more info soon.

If you’re not familiar with Vera, here’s a quick rundown. We’ve been in business for ten years. Our platform is beloved for its flexibility, interoperability, and its compatibility with multiple protocols. We also have a robust community of developers. Last year we were acquired by Ezlo Innovation, and with the new resources they provided, we’ve spent the last several months solidifying and expanding our platform.

We aren’t going anywhere, so if you’re looking for a new home for your smart devices, Vera will welcome you to the family with open arms.

More to come. Stay tuned, or visit getvera.com in the coming days to learn about your special offers.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Smitho said:

So far we have:

V1 Range Extender - $30
V1 Smart Plug - $35
V1 Keypad - $45
V1 Contact Sensor - $23
V1 Motion - $30
V2 Hub - $100
Petsafe Door - $220

V1 Indoor Camera
V2 Outdoor Camera
V2 Indoor/Outdoor Camera
Wireless Security Camera
V3 Hub
Water Heater
Water Softener
WiFi Smart Switch
Keyfob
Care Pendant

V1 Indoor Camera - $130
V2 Indoor/Outdoor Camera - $140
Keyfob - $25

29 minutes ago, Smitho said:

So far we have:

V1 Range Extender - $30
V1 Smart Plug - $35
V1 Keypad - $45
V1 Contact Sensor - $23
V1 Motion - $30
V2 Hub - $100
Petsafe Door - $220

V1 Indoor Camera
V2 Outdoor Camera
V2 Indoor/Outdoor Camera
Wireless Security Camera
V3 Hub
Water Heater
Water Softener
WiFi Smart Switch
Keyfob
Care Pendant

WiFi smart switch is $30

V3 hub is $150 

Saw the announcement on CNET and stopped in to see how they were handling it.  Lowes is my preferred home improvement store so I'm glad to see that they're paying people off for the stuff that will be useless.  Giving such a short notice is a bit of a jerk move given how long it can take to pick a system and get everything in place.  

While I want to agree that Version 2 killed the system, it's certainly why I moved on, in retrospect I think it was doomed from the start.  It seems odd to say given how much effort they put into it, but Lowes was never really committed enough to make it work.  If you're going to have a house brand you had better make it look good in your stores and the IRIS end caps were always  neglected. 

I moved to Abode a couple of years ago.  It's a turnkey system that is security focused.  "Turnkey" is good because supported devices pair easily and work well - range and stability are much better than IRIS.  "Turnkey" is bad because device support is more limited than some of the more tweakable systems. There is a usable free service tier and cellular backup and central office monitoring are available in paid services.  Alarms and automations run locally.   On the down side, there have been a lot of complaints about their customer support on Reddit lately.  I don't know since I haven't needed it.  Support had been pretty good in the past but they were bought by a Nice last year which seems to have caused some disruption and slowed down progress.  Does that mean that Abode will follow IRIS into the dust bin?  I hope not.

One hard line that I've drawn in my Home Automation choices is nothing from Google and nothing from Amazon. These two companies already know way too much about me and I'm not giving them any more access than they have now. 

Good luck wherever you happen to land.

14 minutes ago, nrc said:

Saw the announcement on CNET and stopped in to see how they were handling it.  Lowes is my preferred home improvement store so I'm glad to see that they're paying people off for the stuff that will be useless.  Giving such a short notice is a bit of a jerk move given how long it can take to pick a system and get everything in place.  

While I want to agree that Version 2 killed the system, it's certainly why I moved on, in retrospect I think it was doomed from the start.  It seems odd to say given how much effort they put into it, but Lowes was never really committed enough to make it work.  If you're going to have a house brand you had better make it look good in your stores and the IRIS end caps were always  neglected. 

I moved to Abode a couple of years ago.  It's a turnkey system that is security focused.  "Turnkey" is good because supported devices pair easily and work well - range and stability are much better than IRIS.  "Turnkey" is bad because device support is more limited than some of the more tweakable systems. There is a usable free service tier and cellular backup and central office monitoring are available in paid services.  Alarms and automations run locally.   On the down side, there have been a lot of complaints about their customer support on Reddit lately.  I don't know since I haven't needed it.  Support had been pretty good in the past but they were bought by a Nice last year which seems to have caused some disruption and slowed down progress.  Does that mean that Abode will follow IRIS into the dust bin?  I hope not.

One hard line that I've drawn in my Home Automation choices is nothing from Google and nothing from Amazon. These two companies already know way too much about me and I'm not giving them any more access than they have now. 

Good luck wherever you happen to land.

Can you use the V2 keypad with the abode system?

3 hours ago, baa said:

Received the notice and completed the redemption.  Approx $565 back.  Appreciate that Lowes is doing this, makes up for alot of the heartache of the V2 switchover...

I have already moved to the Ring alarm system in conjunction with the Ring Pro doorbell camera and Floodlight camera.  I find the products well made, and support decent, especially 2nd level.

Their app is well done, and the charges are reasonable.  I have also found the professional monitoring service to be well, professional.

I have previously done a complete review of the install process and the product on the "other vendors" section of this website.

You can find it there if interested.

I have a Ring video doorbell and find it to take too long to load most of the time. Read the Nest video doorbell is much better. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Irisuser01 said:

Can you use the V2 keypad with the abode system?

I'm looking mostly at SimpliSafe and Abode. The Abode thread on Reddit is pretty lacking as in updates and support. Makes me kind of worry about them. Then again, the thread on SimpliSafe is pretty bare. 

4 minutes ago, awraynor said:

I'm looking mostly at SimpliSafe and Abode. The Abode thread on Reddit is pretty lacking as in updates and support. Makes me kind of worry about them. Then again, the thread on SimpliSafe is pretty bare. 

I called Simplisafe, They will not ingrate with anything outside their ecosystem. It is proprietary. Also you HAVE to pay a service fee just to use the app. That was a NOPE for me. 

2 hours ago, nrc said:

100% agree! Both Amazon and Google have betrayed their users' trust at least as much as Lowe's. I have never even considered Alexa or the Google Home products. There have been a number of court cases where Amazon has been ordered to turn over Alexa recordings - which should have never been kept. 

9 hours ago, mikeyc said:

I would hope Systronics uses this opportunity to release their software publicly. they promised mid January and here we are in February.

I believe they talked about mid-January for the beta software, not a full release of a finished product. But I don't know I am just going from what I remember in the other thread, I haven't gone back to re-read it.

But yes, I hope this will prompt them to move a little faster if they can. After all, you wouldn't  be happy with some half-baked software like we got with Iris 2G would you? Give them a chance to shake the bugs out.

3 minutes ago, sparc said:

After all, you wouldn't  be happy with some half-baked software like we got with Iris 2G would you?

They are promising A LOT. Would i be willing to put up with buggy software for 6 months? I did for 5 years with Iris, what would the difference be? haha. In all Honesty, I want to take a look at their Beta very badly, so i have a rough idea what it looks like. I need to jump to a new product,  and i have over 175 V1 Door sensors between my 7 properties. Do i spent another $4000 on sensors for smartthings or do i wait for systronics? That is the $4000 question!

2 hours ago, awraynor said:

I have a Ring video doorbell and find it to take too long to load most of the time. Read the Nest video doorbell is much better. Any thoughts?

Do you have the "pro" version?  Yes, it does take a few seconds to wake up the camera.  So far this has not been a deal killer for me, because motion detection turns on the camera, so you can view everything that has happened regarding the motion in your history, and it even records for aprx 5 seconds before the motion.

Also, the alarm system is quite good, and the integration is seamless.... so I like that.  I have not seen a Nest alarm system.  Does one exist?

Yes my understanding is the Nest camera records for one week continuously, and drops the next day.  If that works for you, great.  However, I find that I can check on my Ring Pro at any time from any where, it works good in low light (if motion detection not triggered)) allows 2 way communication, integrates with what to me seems like a very good quality alarm system (what iris should have been) and has very reasonable monitoring costs: $10/mo or 100/yr for professional monitoring with cell backup and free service on any component if it breaks.  This is good  for all cameras/alarm components at any one address.  It convinced me.  The Nest cam costs more to monitor, not sure how much. and the camera is more expensive.

There is some degree of integration with Alexia, you can turn on the alarm using voice.

Re those who will not use any voice systems from Google or Amazon:

I used to feel as you do, however:

1. I like software and hardware that works.  Both of these folks have very very deep pockets.  The software does work and the hardware does work, none of this Iris V2 BS where you are forced to migrate to something unstable and broken because of some hidden contract provision which you are not party to.

2. Both google and amazon allow you do delete all recordings back to the beginning of time via a web link.  This seems to work (the recordings are no longer visible)  but we do not know if any backups are kept anywhere.

3. Amazon is trying to sell you things.  I have no problem with this.  I live in a world where folks are trying to sell me things all the time.

4. With Google, you are the product that is being sold...  I have a little more trouble with this.

Still, I have found that the utility of both of these devices has outweighed their downside, and now have several of each around the house.  Alexia is great with home automation in combination with WEMO plugs (no hub required)... so when I say "Alexia turn on the living room" it does, with no problems.

Google is good for making phone calls and for playing various news services, all so far without charge.  Google plays me the sound of the ocean at night through my yamaha sound bar, and that is sleep helpful.

Both of them can get the local weather before lights out.

A bit long winded, but I hope this helps.

11 hours ago, Smitho said:

I had, I think, 53 devices that are iris specific. I had a LOT of V1 stuff.
Now I get to invest weeks researching new setups and where to go from here... I have some ideas... the biggest thing I am going to want is something that puts SECURITY first and foremost, integrates fully with alexa, IFTTT, and harmony remotes.
I also want cameras that will work with FireTV. I think I should be able to put together a decent system for what I am getting back.

That I think would be "RING" I've been using them for a while now I I'm gonna transfer ALL my stuff that I can over to them as well as reach out to them and see if they can assist IRIS users with maybe a deal to move over to their system.