Iris is Officially Done
11 11

172 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Vettester said:

SystronicsRF

RING.....as I have their Security System already and Cameras. I wouldn't be surprised if RING's buys them out and just takes over their existing customers and the plateform then migrate those over into RING. Stay Tuned.......

7 hours ago, Irisuser01 said:

Can you use the V2 keypad with the abode system?

I doubt it. I had the big V1 keypad so I ordered the Abode keypad which is similar in size to the V2 IRIS keypad.  In general, they have focused on support for their own devices, third party integrations, and some basic third party Zwave/Zigbee devices.   Integrations are with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Nest, Ecobee, and IFTTT.

Here's a link to the Abode support page list of officially supported third party devices: https://help.goabode.com/hc/en-us/sections/360000236592-3rd-Party-Devices

Here's a link to the Reddit wiki of user tested third party devices.  https://www.reddit.com/r/Abode/wiki/index

Of the things I had on IRIS I was able to move all my GE switches, Smart bulbs, Yale lock, IRIS V2 smart switches, First Alert smoke detectors, and Linear Garage Door opener.  None of the motion or door contact switches are compatible.   I replaced my cameras with a separate Amcrest camera system - I don't mind having a separate system to avoid having video in the cloud.

5 hours ago, awraynor said:

I'm looking mostly at SimpliSafe and Abode. The Abode thread on Reddit is pretty lacking as in updates and support. Makes me kind of worry about them. Then again, the thread on SimpliSafe is pretty bare. 

Yes, Abode has fallen down on support and been quiet on Reddit for a couple of months.  Interestingly, they responded on that today in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Abode/comments/alvfex/an_update_from_abode/

Time will tell if they follow through, but as a small company it's fair to say that they've had a busy few months - Black Friday, shipping a new all-in-one gateway, CES, and then a new release of their original gateway with Zwave Plus and 4G support.

6 hours ago, nrc said:

I doubt it. I had the big V1 keypad so I ordered the Abode keypad which is similar in size to the V2 IRIS keypad.  In general, they have focused on support for their own devices, third party integrations, and some basic third party Zwave/Zigbee devices.   Integrations are with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Nest, Ecobee, and IFTTT.

Here's a link to the Abode support page list of officially supported third party devices: https://help.goabode.com/hc/en-us/sections/360000236592-3rd-Party-Devices

Here's a link to the Reddit wiki of user tested third party devices.  https://www.reddit.com/r/Abode/wiki/index

Of the things I had on IRIS I was able to move all my GE switches, Smart bulbs, Yale lock, IRIS V2 smart switches, First Alert smoke detectors, and Linear Garage Door opener.  None of the motion or door contact switches are compatible.   I replaced my cameras with a separate Amcrest camera system - I don't mind having a separate system to avoid having video in the cloud.

So far, the leading replacements I am thing about switching to are

1. Abode

2. Smartthings with ADT hub.

Both systems I know i have to purchase new window sensors.

I have the following i would like to work with the next system.

Utilitech siren

would like the iris v2 keypad to work with what ever system (Those seem to be expensive but the ADT/Smartthings includes this in the hub)

1 GE fan switch Z-Wave

1 GE light switch Z-Wave

For Abode, How much larger are the window contacts than the iris ones? I have small window frames.

16 hours ago, GraemeCracker said:

Yeah, this sucks!  Two questions.

1)  As with others, I did not screen shot my redemption (it's $445 I think), but more importantly, it listed the devices that are not compatible elsewhere.  Has anyone found a way to get the redemption list again, so I can easily figure out what I need to replace?

2)  My primary reason for starting with Iris was to control my sprinklers.  I have the Orbit Sprinkler Timer.  Does anyone know if this is supported elsewhere?

2) My Orbit Sprinkler device is showing on my redemption list...

Smart Things added more Iris items today that weren't there yesterday.

Smart plug v2
Smart plug v3
Contact sensor v3
Motion sensor v3
Radio thermostat CT101
Smart FOB v2

This is getting better!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Also, I'm waiting on them to hopefully support the 2nd gen keypads, irrigation timer, and water sensors natively eventually. If not, looks like there are community work arounds.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I did not complete the redemption thing as when I saw it, I see they are allowing me $135.00 for a Halo Plus Smoke detector I have installed...so I just closed the browser.

I also have 2 more of these that I never installed...I know it's a long shot, but when I get off work tonight I'm going to try to install the other 2 unused Halo Plus and see if they show up as being able to redeem....probably not.

When I heard the news yesterday, I paired all my spare devices that weren't connected to my hub. This morning I checked my redemption list, but none of the newly paired devices were included.  I haven't proceeded with the redemption yet, nor have I yet contacted support. I wonder if there's any chance they will be taking another database snapshot? That would be the only reason I would delay proceeding with the redemption process immediately.

4 hours ago, steeladonis said:

2) My Orbit Sprinkler device is showing on my redemption list...

Yeah, it showed up on mine too, that's why I'm worried it won't be supported anywhere else.  I guess I can buy a new one, along with a hub of some sort, with the $445I'm getting back.  Fortunately, many of the other items on my redemption list were not being used anyway (FOB's and buttons mostly).

When I clicked the link I had about 5 to 6 items, 3 being cameras. 

I spent about 35 minutes on hold and with support. She was able to get me a custom

refund for the additional items. She was very nice and I asked, and no she won't have

a support job after the closure. Things could be worse than they've turned out for us. 

I added them yesterday and called today. She looked it over while I was on the phone with her, and fortunately a Supervisor aproved

it on the spot. That's just over $400 more for me in this case. And I think I bought most if not all of my cameras on EBay for less than

the reimbursed rate. 

I added them yesterday and called today. She looked it over while I was on the phone with her, and fortunately a Supervisor aproved
it on the spot. That's just over $400 more for me in this case. And I think I bought most if not all of my cameras on EBay for less than
the reimbursed rate. 

Still waiting on my dang call back. Guess I will be calling again today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, sptrr99 said:

Did you have to add the items and then call or did you tell her what was missing?

2 hours ago, GraemeCracker said:

Yeah, it showed up on mine too, that's why I'm worried it won't be supported anywhere else.  I guess I can buy a new one, along with a hub of some sort, with the $445I'm getting back.  Fortunately, many of the other items on my redemption list were not being used anyway (FOB's and buttons mostly).

I was looking at Rachio, but that might be overkill for me. Orbit makes a BHyve that is Wifi connected for around $70 or one compatible with Alexa for just over $100

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-B-hyve-57925-8-Station-Controller/dp/B07DJ628XH/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1549052162&sr=8-6&keywords=orbit+bhyve

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-57950-12-Station-Controller-Compatible/dp/B01D15HOTU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549052162&sr=8-3&keywords=orbit+bhyve

If nothing else I went with SimpliSafe for the moment. The Haven package on their site is $490, on Amazon $190 NIB. They also have 

a BOGO camera offer right now which is huge. I bough one indoor and one video doorbell and got two indoor cameras free. 

15 hours ago, ITATodd said:

RING.....as I have their Security System already and Cameras. I wouldn't be surprised if RING's buys them out and just takes over their existing customers and the plateform then migrate those over into RING. Stay Tuned.......

I looked at Ring. I have one of their video doorbells on the front of the house. It's quite slow to load and decided to steer away from them 

I want a video doorbell in my next system. You wouldn't believe how much cr@P I get from the wife because the stinking doorbell feature (if you could call it that) in Iris is so lame and can't be heard if you are more than 6 feet from the hub. I was always hoping that Iris would come out with a real doorbell, or at least support one of the video doorbells already on the market.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:50 PM, Pele10 said:

Anyone know if the Iris Garage Door opener is included in the redemption?  According to their website, it's compatible with SmartThings so wasn't sure.  I've not had much luck since I've had it keeping it paired to the hub and didn't know if it was worth the hassle of trying to re-connect it yet again before running the redemption process. 

Nope, don't think so. I have two of them and was super excited to see my ugly cT101 thermostats are now compatible. That saves a lot of money for new T-stats and installation. 

14 minutes ago, accessdenied79 said:

Still waiting on my dang call back. Guess I will be calling again today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She was going to put me on the callback list, but the Supervisor happened to free up. I told her I was sorry she was losing her job.

She handled everything well. It's a win for me, I was looking to move anyway and now have 2K to do it. 

11 minutes ago, sparc said:

I want a video doorbell in my next system. You wouldn't believe how much cr@P I get from the wife because the stinking doorbell feature (if you could call it that) in Iris is so lame and can't be heard if you are more than 6 feet from the hub. I was always hoping that Iris would come out with a real doorbell, or at least support one of the video doorbells already on the market.

I've been fairly disappointed in the response from my Ring video doorbell. Heard the Nest version is much better. I bought just a few with the #BOGO offer on my

SimpliSafe system. May augment with WyzeCam if needed. Supposedly WyzeCam is coming out with an exterior camera this year. 

I've been fairly disappointed in the response from my Ring video doorbell. Heard the Nest version is much better. I bought just a few with the #BOGO offer on my
SimpliSafe system. May augment with WyzeCam if needed. Supposedly WyzeCam is coming out with an exterior camera this year. 
If you have the battery version its gonna be slow. Any and all battery cameras have to wake up from hibernation and will just naturally be slow to respond. All my RING powers devices are pretty quick. Been extremely happy with RING

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk