Iris is Officially Done
11 11

172 posts in this topic

I've been fairly disappointed in the response from my Ring video doorbell. Heard the Nest version is much better. I bought just a few with the #BOGO offer on my
SimpliSafe system. May augment with WyzeCam if needed. Supposedly WyzeCam is coming out with an exterior camera this year. 

My nest hello is pretty good. I have had it for about three weeks now with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, accessdenied79 said:

My nest hello is pretty good. I have had it for about three weeks now with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard very good things about Nest, but the upfront and monitoring costs are significantly higher than others. We don't really use

security and automation a lot, so couldn't justify the expense. I have a Google Home Hub and Lenovo Smart Display, might pair

a few devices with them. 

4 minutes ago, ITATodd said:

If you have the battery version its gonna be slow. Any and all battery cameras have to wake up from hibernation and will just naturally be slow to respond. All my RING powers devices are pretty quick. Been extremely happy with RING

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

MIne is hardwired. I have a mesh system with AT&T gigabit fiber, would have expected better. 

MIne is hardwired. I have a mesh system with AT&T gigabit fiber, would have expected better. 
Which model doorbell is it? Classic, 2, or PRO?

3 minutes ago, ITATodd said:

Which model doorbell is it? Classic, 2, or PRO?

I think it's the regular "Video Doorbell" model. Might be part of the problem. I got it for $60 on sale so who cares. Really looking forward to the 

outdoor WyzeCam model. 

Yes, the Wyze cameras I have are awesome for the price. For $20 you
can't knock them and they all worked flawlessly right our of the box. I bought 4
to start then bought 6 more because the first batch worked so well. Ten cameras
for a little more than the price of one Iris camera.

When they come out with their outdoor camera I will buy some more.

I would like to see a video doorbell from Wyze.

I think they could make the app a little friendlier but it's pretty good.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:47 PM, awraynor said:

The biggest downfall for me are the thermostats. Well, having to pay someone to install new ones. 

You can't install a thermostat?  It's pretty easy... like 6-8 wires depending on your type. Just mark em as you remove the old one and reconnect to the new one in the same way.  The manual tells you how to set up for your set up. 

8 hours ago, Irisuser01 said:

For Abode, How much larger are the window contacts than the iris ones? I have small window frames.

Because Abode is security focused they have a lot of door/window contact options.  The cheapest option is slightly larger than the IRIS ones.  The next up are slightly smaller overall but a bit wider, and then there are slim strip and in the door jamb hidden options.  Abode's door sensors use a proprietary RF technology that is better in range and battery life than ZigBee or Zwave but they do support a couple of Aeotec Zwave options if you want to hedge your bets.

2 hours ago, Pirate said:

You can't install a thermostat?  It's pretty easy... like 6-8 wires depending on your type. Just mark em as you remove the old one and reconnect to the new one in the same way.  The manual tells you how to set up for your set up. 

I could, but after my SNAFU last time Wife shut that option down. 

On 1/31/2019 at 12:41 PM, joelh said:

Thanks for the detailed breakdown.  Would you say that Hubitat has more upside?  With the decline in SmartThings support response, I wonder if it has reached it's peak? 

I'm pretty worried about this too. Switched to ST from Iris a few years ago. Love the programmability, but got so fed up with the constant false alarms and complete non-delivery of features that I actually came back here today to see how Iris was faring... wonderful timing. Samsung does not appear to take ST seriously, or simply has no idea where to go with it. 

But I haven't found a system that really works well. ST could be so close if they'd just fix years old bugs (like presence malfunctions, which has gotten much worse) and add entry delay with a keypad, it'd be far more useful. 

2 minutes ago, kayak said:

But I haven't found a system that really works well. ST could be so close if they'd just fix years old bugs (like presence malfunctions, which has gotten much worse) and add entry delay with a keypad, it'd be far more useful. 

Hmmm.  Interesting.

I've started leaning towards Wink.  Any insight on that system?

11 minutes ago, kayak said:

Have you tried this?
https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-shm-delay-version-2-0/121800

I just did my redemption. A little over $300. I didn't have too many devices, and a lot of what I had was V2/3rd party. I did have a few spare (new) contact sensors and a button there were all v1 and hadn't been paired. I paired them before doing the redemption, but as expected, they didn't show up. I'll call and see if they will credit them. 

Now to figure out what to do. I'm not looking forward to migrating to another platform, and the biggest pain will be the un-pair/re-pair of all the reusable devices..Iris finally was working well for me, doing what it was supposed to do with little interaction (mostly using scenes and sensor alerts).

1 hour ago, Smitho said:

Thanks! I haven't, but I'm skeptical of these more complex apps as they seem to make the system slow. I tried CoRE and it was really bad. But since the one you mention is more focused, I suppose I should give it a try. I love ST when I'm working with my own code, but for basic functions I just want the darn thing to work. And without native function like this, I'm skeptical it will.

1 hour ago, joelh said:

Hmmm.  Interesting.

I've started leaning towards Wink.  Any insight on that system?

I forgot about Wink, I haven't looked at it for a few years. Curious if anyone else has thoughts on it.

I do have to admit to still being quite enamored of the ability to code things in ST like changing the accent lights in the house based on that day's temperature forecast... maybe I'm being unrealistic expecting reliability and flexibility/programmability in one system.

Yeah so i just tried smarthings. There is no native security set up with the system,. As for automation it seems pretty robust. I see what you all were saying i need something security first, automation next. That was what i got Iris for. Security and got carried away with the automation piece and became dependent. You don't realize what you have until it's gone. 

I have been thinking about leaving iris for a while because of issues with the fobs. My wife was about to have my head but she wanted something that would keep the house secure. We used what we had. We both were looking at other options (I know sounds bad lol) 

I tried to move all my stuff over to smartthings only to realize you have to pull code from Github and install it. I didn't understand that at first. It was a pretty cool experience. But i see where it can get buggy and wind up in more issues than what we had with Iris and i see where there complaints came from. Again Smarthings is GREAT for Home automation. If you just need that, then go with Smarthings. 

I am now looking at Abode as my next option. Just hope my switches work. Thats 70$ i didn't get back. 

6 hours ago, joshfromvera said:

Hi All, Vera here with an update. Starting next week we're going to be offering 30% off any controller, as well as six different device bundles starting at $99. For Iris users only. More to come...

I am definitely interested in VeraSecure... When I researched Vera more than a year ago, it seems that i remember there were discussions about someone trying to write a driver for Iris V1 sensors. Do you have any information on whether anyone has made any progress with this?

Also, I noticed on your compatibility list (https://getvera.com/compatibility/) that the CT-100 thermostat is supported, but nothing is listed for the CT-101. Since Lowe's sold mostly the CT-101 units, do you have any information about their compatibility with Vera?

Thanks!

Okay i think i figured out how to ask this question correctly. Forget all my current devices. They are lost. IF i can use them that's a bonus. 

I want a system that does this. 

IOS App first and foremost must have an app

Security arm and disarm via Keypad/Fobs or Geofencing. could care less if Alexa can arm/disarm. That is a security nightmare 

Climate AC/Heat thermostat. Would be cool no pun intended to ask alexa set AC to 72" 

Automation Light switches. Must be able to turn lights on off depending on dusk to dawn. 

That is what i used Iris for. 

On 1/31/2019 at 4:15 PM, GraemeCracker said:

Yeah, this sucks!  Two questions.

1)  As with others, I did not screen shot my redemption (it's $445 I think), but more importantly, it listed the devices that are not compatible elsewhere.  Has anyone found a way to get the redemption list again, so I can easily figure out what I need to replace?

2)  My primary reason for starting with Iris was to control my sprinklers.  I have the Orbit Sprinkler Timer.  Does anyone know if this is supported elsewhere?

I also started Iris to control sprinklers, and I currently have 7 zones. While I've added other items to Iris, my biggest concern is the orbit sprinklers. For the time being, I can run them on manual settings. I've found some replacement controllers, but they recieve horrible reviews. Let me know if you find out anything comprable. 

3 minutes ago, Medic said:

Does anyone know if the IRIS cameras will still work as ip cams after the shutdown with apps like TinyCam?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, they will still work.  I have mine connected to Blue Iris and they work regardless of being connected to a hub.

22 hours ago, awraynor said:

Thanks, I was looking at those.  I didn't get the sense that either was supported by anything other than their own B-hyve app with an optional Alexa skill.  I want to integrate into a whole house system of some sort.

Here's my list of devices from the redemption process if anyone needs to see prices for various things. I created pdfs of each redemption page, including the agreement. I'll post each of the non-personal pages here.

J.

Iris Redemption Screen Shots 02-02-2019 2.pdf

Iris Redemption Screen Shots 02-02-2019 5.pdf

Iris Redemption Screen Shots 02-02-2019 6.pdf

Iris Redemption Screen Shots 02-02-2019 8.pdf