Iris is Officially Done
10 10

172 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, GraemeCracker said:

Thanks, I was looking at those.  I didn't get the sense that either was supported by anything other than their own B-hyve app with an optional Alexa skill.  I want to integrate into a whole house system of some sort.

I water as needed, so if it's not part of a broader system I"m okay with that. Otherwise Rachio would likely be the way to go. Trying to minimize cost at the moment as I

might be moving in the next 6 months. 

I was about to get the water treatment system now glad I didn't.

It may have been able to work with another but who knows for sure.

It's really a shame that Iris is not continuing.

Of course we band together and offer Lowes something for it, maybe in lieu of claiming our redemption money. Then put @thegillion in charge of development and pay him our $10 a month :-)

I spent a good portion of yesterday to move over my system to SmartThings. It took me about 5 hours to move over 130 devices, so it wasn’t that bad. I had an iPad and was able to split screen SmartThings over the top of Iris and since I had the V3 hub I just unplugged it and took it around with the ST hub. I was able to natively find all but one of my rules (turn on based on temp of contact) but I will look at COrE later today for that build. So far so good, I like being able to use cell phones as presence sensors with Life360. Now I have to convert my dads two properties and a friends. Also we can now control the light switch LEDs from the app again. Oh and one more thing, the only one I had to create a custom device handler for was the Utilitech glass break zwave device. It paired but didn’t show correctly, now it acts like a closed contact if the glass break goes off it opens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

Oh and one more thing, the only one I had to create a custom device handler for was the Utilitech glass break zwave device. It paired but didn’t show correctly, now it acts like a closed contact if the glass break goes off it opens.

I've got a driver for that in Github too.

On 2/2/2019 at 6:37 AM, hxn said:

I am definitely interested in VeraSecure... When I researched Vera more than a year ago, it seems that i remember there were discussions about someone trying to write a driver for Iris V1 sensors. Do you have any information on whether anyone has made any progress with this?

Also, I noticed on your compatibility list (https://getvera.com/compatibility/) that the CT-100 thermostat is supported, but nothing is listed for the CT-101. Since Lowe's sold mostly the CT-101 units, do you have any information about their compatibility with Vera?

Thanks!

CT101 should work with Vera with its basic thermostat capabilities but the added features like it's child devices (humidity, temp), might need some tinkering from our Customer Care team. Don't hesitate to ask them for help with these.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:01 PM, joshfromvera said:

Hi All, Vera here with an update. Starting next week we're going to be offering 30% off any controller, as well as six different device bundles starting at $99. For Iris users only. More to come...

I would welcome a post concisely listing why Vera is the logical choice for former Iris users. I am looking for as seamless a transition as possible with as many of the features that were offered in Iris (mobile app, scenes, rules, security animation, integration, etc.) It would be nice to use as many of the Iris compatible devices as possible. Which ones do you support? Which packages are you offering to us at a discount?

16 hours ago, RandyA said:

I would welcome a post concisely listing why Vera is the logical choice for former Iris users. I am looking for as seamless a transition as possible with as many of the features that were offered in Iris (mobile app, scenes, rules, security animation, integration, etc.) It would be nice to use as many of the Iris compatible devices as possible. Which ones do you support? Which packages are you offering to us at a discount?

I would like to have a global cookie-cutter solution for everyone but since every setup has its specifics our Customer Care team would love to help you based on your existing setup.
Our Customer Care team is prepared to answer any of your inquiries and offer full support for the transition.
The Customer Care team can be reached at 866.966.2272 or support@getvera.com

On 2/2/2019 at 8:27 AM, Vettester said:

Yes, they will still work.  I have mine connected to Blue Iris and they work regardless of being connected to a hub.

Huh, TIL. Well if anyone wants to buy an outdoor Iris camera for cheap let me know. I had no clue what I was going to do with it!

On 2/1/2019 at 9:59 AM, acadiel said:

Also, I'm waiting on them to hopefully support the 2nd gen keypads, irrigation timer, and water sensors natively eventually. If not, looks like there are community work arounds.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I just moved everything over to ST starting Friday, including one Iris V2 Keypad I already owned and two new ones I ordered after I verified that one worked... or so I thought.  Using the instructions for creating the device handler and the User Lock manager app, it *looks* like everything is working (I even get a text when I disarm using the keypad to verify the alarm status has changed) but I'll be damned if the stupid siren doesn't go off anyway.  I swear I tested it five times yesterday only for the siren to go off anyway as I'm leaving for work this morning even though I got a text that the status had changed to disarmed before I opened the door...  😡

Overall *if* I can get my keypad functionality back working correctly (and if the keypad battery life doesn't suck) I'll be happy as a clam wishing I had done this years ago.  Just out of the box I'm loving the expanded button programability and some of the simpler things that just make life easier, like the fact that even without Geofencing configured it seems to be much quicker to respond when a presence sensor arrives (so far)... the only thing I'm missing is getting called when the alarm is triggered.  I might be more prone to missing a text.

Oh, and the $15 pet-friendly motion sensors that work with ST are awesome, too.  They work just as well as the $40 one I bought to use with Iris.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PRBMDKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Is there any chance any of this V1 junk will be able to be integrated ever by anything?  I hate throwing things like that away when five minutes ago they worked.

It's been asked several times but no replies, at least that I have seen.  Anyone care to comment? Just like @Soozicle1 above, besides Systronics, does VERA or any other system work with V1 devices? I have a lot (60+) devices that were perfectly working with Iris and unless I go to Systronics, I guess they are garbage now, ya?

I see it has been asked but do they work with VERA or any other platform yet or should I just take them out back and shoot them.

32 minutes ago, JRocket02 said:

It's been asked several times but no replies, at least that I have seen.  Anyone care to comment? Just like @Soozicle1 above, besides Systronics, does VERA or any other system work with V1 devices? I have a lot (60+) devices that were perfectly working with Iris and unless I go to Systronics, I guess they are garbage now, ya?

I see it has been asked but do they work with VERA or any other platform yet or should I just take them out back and shoot them.

There is also Arcus, but when or if it will come on line is the same as SystonicsRF..  These are the only two systems that I have heard are  actively trying to use V1 sensors.  Once Iris releases the code open source then perhaps other platforms will jump in as well, but it's all speculation at this point.  I guess it depends how how critical your system is and can you wait for a bit.

Security was my main use of IRIS. It will be interesting to see what Arcus does if and when it's released. If it performs most (hopefully all) current IRIS functions locally AND has a way to call your cellphone if the alarm is tripped I'll be a happy camper. If not I'll be looking for something else.

11 hours ago, GaryS1964 said:

Security was my main use of IRIS. It will be interesting to see what Arcus does if and when it's released. If it performs most (hopefully all) current IRIS functions locally AND has a way to call your cellphone if the alarm is tripped I'll be a happy camper. If not I'll be looking for something else.

Security is why I bought Iris, having 15,000 rules on lights is why I stayed even through the painful V2 transition.  After setting everything up in Smartthings the same way I had them in Iris, though, I'm wishing I had Iris back actually, even in all it's proprietary awkwardness.  I'm still setting off the alarm after it says it's disarmed in ST, but at least the damn thing is going off so [I think] at very least I won't wake up with an intruder standing over me even if my ears are bleeding every time I come & go. 

I think there's just a lot more latency than I'm used to.  I'd say ST just doesn't play particularly nice with the v2 Iris keypads but it did it with the Samsung presence sensors' arrival rule yesterday too.  I smiled a wide grin as the garage door opened just as I pulled up to it for the first time ever (proving the arrival rule ran and should have disarmed the system), but then wanted to punch a puppy minutes later when I opened the kitchen door and STILL the sirens went off.  Pro Tip:  Don't run out and sign up for monitoring on ST right away.

I know for certain there's more lag getting rules on lights to run on Smartthings than in Iris; after giving Alexa the command it used to only take Iris 2-3 seconds for everything to respond at the same time, now through ST it's up to 10 seconds and everything reacts in a random staggered pattern, so truly disarming the alarm must be lagging a LOT.  That seems bizarre considering more is being processed locally than with Iris??  🤷‍♀️ I'm holding out hope I can get the problems ironed out but I might've looked elsewhere if I'd seen a tit-for-tat comparison before I bought ST.

Has anyone been given any word on when they plan to start mailing the checks?  I mean I didn't have a choice but to replace everything anyway but it certainly was a large unexpected expense.

45 minutes ago, Soozicle1 said:

I'm still setting off the alarm after it says it's disarmed in ST, but at least the damn thing is going off

Have you tried setting up an entry delay, or extending it? I think there is some webcore stuff out there to handle entry and exit delays. If it is a case of lag, delaying the alarm might help.
Does it actually say the alarm is disarmed, or is it just saying it is in "home mode"? 
I believe there is often confusion between "modes" and the alarm states. Keep in mind "home mode" does not necessarily mean the alarm is disarmed. I've not started playing with smart things yet, so I don't completely understand a lot of the features, but I have read about people getting confused between the system modes and alarm states. You need some sort of automation I think to disable the alarm when the system is set to home mode.
I think the modes are just provided so your rules can behave differently when in home mode, vs away mode or night mode, but is separate from alarm functionality.
Its likely what you figured that out, and the problem you are experiencing is indeed something else, but I figured I would throw it out there just in case.

1 hour ago, Soozicle1 said:

Has anyone been given any word on when they plan to start mailing the checks?  I mean I didn't have a choice but to replace everything anyway but it certainly was a large unexpected expense.

I believe after the redemption process it said a tracking # would be sent once it was mailed. They are not sending checks, they are sending visa gift cards.

Can you believe this!?!?!?!  I just now got this in an email

Iris by Lowe's
SUPPORT |
COMMUNITY My Account
Arm Your Home for Less
security_premium560.jpg
Our Premium plan includes Alarm Tracker -- a proprietary system that will notify you if any sensors are breached while armed. This will not notify the authorities like our Professional Monitoring plan, however it will notify you and your expanded notification list of up to 6 people.
Learn More About Our Plans
indoorcamera_600.jpg
Get More Camera Storage
Our Premium plan offers 3GB of camera storage. Now you can rest easy knowing that you won't miss any strange activity in and around your home.
Learn More About Premi

32 minutes ago, Smitho said:

I believe there is often confusion between "modes" and the alarm states. Keep in mind "home mode" does not necessarily mean the alarm is disarmed. I've not started playing with smart things yet, so I don't completely understand a lot of the features, but I have read about people getting confused between the system modes and alarm states. You need some sort of automation I think to disable the alarm when the system is set to home mode.

This is a common point of confusion.  Modes on SmartThings (and Hubitat) work pretty much like they did on V1.  They're simply system states that can be used for automation restrictions to allow/disallow things from happening.  You can change SHM states with modes or change modes based on SHM states.  But this is one area where flexibility can yield to unforeseen problems.  Make sure you are only using one of the the two triggers.  i.e. Only set SHM states based on mode or set mode based on SHM state.  If you have any automations doing both, you can easily find SHM getting re-armed by an automation that is behaving in a way that it was not intended to. 

3 hours ago, IrisUsers said:

This is a common point of confusion.  Modes on SmartThings (and Hubitat) work pretty much like they did on V1.  They're simply system states that can be used for automation restrictions to allow/disallow things from happening.  You can change SHM states with modes or change modes based on SHM states.  But this is one area where flexibility can yield to unforeseen problems.  Make sure you are only using one of the the two triggers.  i.e. Only set SHM states based on mode or set mode based on SHM state.  If you have any automations doing both, you can easily find SHM getting re-armed by an automation that is behaving in a way that it was not intended to. 

I get the text notice that "keypad is disarmed" and looking in the Smart Home Monitor it will say it's disarmed, but still goes off when the contact sensor opens... and then I have a dickens of a time getting the sirens to shut off.  It seems wonky between the old and new ST apps too.  Today after I left I had notification that "all zones are armed" with the AWAY scene running, but I just looked at the "new app" and it showed the system was disarmed even though there was no history or event to back that up.  In fact I've noticed the new and old apps frequently disagree about what state the system is in; maybe I should remove all the routines, scenes, and rules, blow the new app away, and start over exclusively with the old one.  🤷‍♀️  In general it just seems a bit flaky which is scary for a home security system.

3 hours ago, Smitho said:

I believe after the redemption process it said a tracking # would be sent once it was mailed. They are not sending checks, they are sending visa gift cards.

You're right, I just misspoke.  I just meant "check" as a generalized term for payment.  It was very ambiguous and I signed up the first day it was announced but haven't heard a peep since.  I didn't run out and spend money I didn't have but it did feel a little too good to be true that they'd offer nearly full price refunds on hardware we'd all used for (in many cases) years.

5 minutes ago, Soozicle1 said:

I get the text notice that "keypad is disarmed" and looking in the Smart Home Monitor it will say it's disarmed, but still goes off when the contact sensor opens... and then I have a dickens of a time getting the sirens to shut off.  It seems wonky between the old and new ST apps too.  Today after I left I had notification that "all zones are armed" with the AWAY scene running, but I just looked at the "new app" and it showed the system was disarmed even though there was no history or event to back that up.  In fact I've noticed the new and old apps frequently disagree about what state the system is in; maybe I should remove all the routines, scenes, and rules, blow the new app away, and start over exclusively with the old one.  🤷‍♀️  In general it just seems a bit flaky which is scary for a home security system.

You're right, I just misspoke.  I just meant "check" as a generalized term for payment.  It was very ambiguous and I signed up the first day it was announced but haven't heard a peep since.  I didn't run out and spend money I didn't have but it did feel a little too good to be true that they'd offer nearly full price refunds on hardware we'd all used for (in many cases) years.

I feel like I should be among the first to get the cards. I was sitting at my computer when the email came in and I went through the redemption process immediately (within minutes).

I'm strongly considering the ring alarm system. I had a conversation with a user in the smart things user group on facebook that has successfully integrated the ring alarm system with smartthings. With the $10/month monitoring (with cellular backup), if the alarm itself is reliable but the smart things integration ends up a bit buggy I can live with that... Throw in the fact that the $10/month includes service on unlimited ring cameras and it sounds like a deal thats a bit hard to ignore.

2 minutes ago, Smitho said:

I'm strongly considering the ring alarm system. I had a conversation with a user in the smart things user group on facebook that has successfully integrated the ring alarm system with smartthings. With the $10/month monitoring (with cellular backup), if the alarm itself is reliable but the smart things integration ends up a bit buggy I can live with that... Throw in the fact that the $10/month includes service on unlimited ring cameras and it sounds like a deal thats a bit hard to ignore.

That sounds interesting.  I'll keep that in mind if I can't get the ST native Home Monitor to behave.  I just don't like having paid monitoring because I've woken up to a yard full of emergency vehicles before when the siren never even went off (on an old traditional security system, so it makes me nervous still).  All I need is something to alert me if I'm away so I can check my cameras and call it in or wake me up if something happens while I'm asleep... it just needs to be reliable.

9 minutes ago, Soozicle1 said:

That sounds interesting.  I'll keep that in mind if I can't get the ST native Home Monitor to behave.  I just don't like having paid monitoring because I've woken up to a yard full of emergency vehicles before when the siren never even went off (on an old traditional security system, so it makes me nervous still).  All I need is something to alert me if I'm away so I can check my cameras and call it in or wake me up if something happens while I'm asleep... it just needs to be reliable.

You can still use the ring alarm without their service... It's just nice to have a cheap professional monitoring option.

10 minutes ago, Soozicle1 said:

I'm looking at about $1200 to do the alarm system with 2 keypads, sensors for every window and exterior door in my hope, a pro doorbell, a spotlight cam, and a stick up cam. Then $10/month for cloud storage for the camera and pro monitoring for the alarm.
I know there might be slightly cheaper ways to do it all, but I really like the idea of keeping my cameras and security together, and then using smartthings for automation. It'll also be nice if I can also get some basic integration between the 2.

4 hours ago, Smitho said:

I'm looking at about $1200 to do the alarm system with 2 keypads, sensors for every window and exterior door in my hope, a pro doorbell, a spotlight cam, and a stick up cam. Then $10/month for cloud storage for the camera and pro monitoring for the alarm.
I know there might be slightly cheaper ways to do it all, but I really like the idea of keeping my cameras and security together, and then using smartthings for automation. It'll also be nice if I can also get some basic integration between the 2.

Amazon has the SmartThings & ADT wireless home starter kit for $100 today. Not sure if it will fit your bill, but it's a cheap way to get started with ST and some ADT security devices.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JRBSSZ