Iris is Officially Done
11 11

172 posts in this topic

Amazon has the SmartThings & ADT wireless home starter kit for $100 today. Not sure if it will fit your bill, but it's a cheap way to get started with ST and some ADT security devices.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JRBSSZ
YUCK! Just stay away from ADT and stick with Ring. They will slowly be making HA into thier eco-system and maybe even faster now that there is a deadline a load of folks looking for another Security + HA system in one.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, scunny said:

I think the SmartThings/ADT relationship may be soon ending and the ADT sensors are proprietary. I'd stay away from that.

Understood. The way I see it is that at least it includes a ST hub which is normally $65. According to someone on the slickdeal site, the included sensors can be made to be controlled by the ST app. It also has CO/smoke alarm and siren built in. The touch screen with time and weather is also a bonus. For $35 more it's well worth it.

58 minutes ago, thejq said:

Understood. The way I see it is that at least it includes a ST hub which is normally $65. According to someone on the slickdeal site, the included sensors can be made to be controlled by the ST app. It also has CO/smoke alarm and siren built in. The touch screen with time and weather is also a bonus. For $35 more it's well worth it.

The SmartThings/ADT hub has three significant limitations.  First, for the ADT monitoring you MUST use ADT sensors.  ADT will not allow you to use non-ADT sensors for the security portion.  Second, it is not a full SmartThings hub.  The ADT/SmartThings hub also does not support local execution of device or rules either.  And lastly, you cannot arm/disarm the ADT portion outside of the app or the keyboard on the hub.  You cannot use presence for arming or disarming the system.

I’m with scunny, I’d pass.

48 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

The SmartThings/ADT hub has three significant limitations.  First, for the ADT monitoring you MUST use ADT sensors.  ADT will not allow you to use non-ADT sensors for the security portion.  Second, it is not a full SmartThings hub.  The ADT/SmartThings hub also does not support local execution of device or rules either.  And lastly, you cannot arm/disarm the ADT portion outside of the app or the keyboard on the hub.  You cannot use presence for arming or disarming the system.

I’m with scunny, I’d pass.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know about the local execution limitation which I think is important. All the other limitations I can live with, since I don't intend to invest in ADT only sensors unless they are on fire sale. I'm going to cancel my Amazon order now.

I just don't see the ADT hub selling that well... I don't think it'll be around that long. There is brand recognition there, but I think it's not in smartthing's favor. ADT has a stigma attached due to high prices and lack of innovation. When I think of ADT I think of ugly ivory colored keypads in relatives homes which no longer have service.

14 hours ago, thejq said:

Amazon has the SmartThings & ADT wireless home starter kit for $100 today. Not sure if it will fit your bill, but it's a cheap way to get started with ST and some ADT security devices.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JRBSSZ

I'm starting to consider that maybe I went the wrong route buying the ST hub without more in depth research first.  I gave up on the keypads doing the job and set the alarm to turn off 10 minutes before I'm usually walking out the door in the morning... and yet again it went off this morning.  I checked the logs and the last thing to happen before the alarm went off was 7 minutes before when all of the alarm devices including the sirens received an OFF command at the scheduled time and yet... there it went off anyway.  Unfortunately I already tossed the packaging for most of it so if I switch to the ST ADT hub now I'll have to try to sell it all on ebay and take a loss on hardware that's only a week old I guess.  🤦‍♀️  The alarm functions being this flaky is just unacceptable for me.

15 hours ago, thejq said:

I need 2 keypads, 2 motions, and 17 sensors.
Looks like the sensors are $15 each, and motion is about $20. so thats $345.... plus a second keypad. Then I still need the 3 cameras (They account for over 1/2 of the $1200 I planned to spend with ring) I've not been able to find the keypad separately... It seems that, because it contains the hub, you might be limited to one keypad which is a major turnoff for me.

Also, the biggest turnoff is the higher monthly fee. Looks like it would cost me $480 per year, where the ring would only be $100 per year...
BUT I will already be paying $90 per year to ring to cover the three ring cameras... The $100/year includes unlimited cameras, so really the ring system is only gonna cost me an extra $10/month.
This means that, to go with the ADT system I would pay $245 more for the first year ($470 more in yearly fees, minus $245 in hardware savings), and then each year beyond that would cost me $470 more than ring.
If I keep this hardware as long as I had the iris hardware, It would be nearly a $2,000 difference between ADT and Ring over the lifetime of the system. 

2 hours ago, Irisuser01 said:

Also if it helps here is my run down from an iOS person. 

i am not sure if excel will open this. 

Security System Assessment .numbers

There are a couple modifications for your sheet...

Iris keypads are supported in SmartThings using the RBoy app/driver.

Iris key fobs are supported natively in SmartThings.

Homekit is supported via HomeBridge using a community supplied integration.

1 hour ago, Soozicle1 said:

I gave up on the keypads doing the job and set the alarm to turn off 10 minutes before I'm usually walking out the door in the morning... and yet again it went off this morning. 

I am not aware of a native capability within SHM disarm at a specific time.  You can do it via a Routine with a timed trigger which may be the approach you are taking.

I always tied SHM to modes.  Switch switching away from Iris 3 years ago, I've built my system this way...  When we wake up in the morning, there's a bedside button that we press that puts the house in "Morning" mode. At night we press it again and the house goes into "Night" mode.  SHM arming states are very reliable using this method, and that's usually the limit of my manual interaction with the system.  I've easily replicated that behavior with Hubitat.

I suggest trying a different trigger method.  If you've not looked at RBoy's keypad integration you should do so now.  It's handles the keypads as if they were locks, thus allows them to be integrated into any automation that supports locks.

56 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

When we wake up in the morning, there's a bedside button that we press that puts the house in "Morning" mode. At night we press it again and the house goes into "Night" mode.  SHM arming states are very reliable using this method, and that's usually the limit of my manual interaction with the system. 

That's basically the same thing I've done only instead of the trigger being a button, it's a time.  In the "Good Morning" Routine I have "Set Smart Home Monitor" to Disarmed, and then I have the Routine set to run 5-10 minutes before I usually leave.  Yesterday it worked fine and I got out the door without an issue while this morning it reacted as an intrusion even though the logs showed the devices all received an OFF command at the scheduled time (the reverse was true with the presence sensor running the HOME mode; on Tuesday it still set off the alarm and then last night it ran fine).  The aggravating thing is I can't reproduce the same behavior more than once in a row which is not expected of something that runs off code that didn't change.  I think I just need to let it sit for a few days while I document the behavior and timing of it without changing a single thing, and just deal with the false alarms until I decide how to proceed.  Otherwise I might start punching myself in the face to relieve the frustration.

1 hour ago, IrisUsers said:

You might just want to specify you mean v2 Iris devices... just as not to confuse anyone who might've skipped to the last message of the thread.

1 hour ago, IrisUsers said:

Are they fully functional now?
I had read at one point the buttons would work, but they could not be used for presence.

2 hours ago, Smitho said:

Are they fully functional now?
I had read at one point the buttons would work, but they could not be used for presence.

Unless something changes in 3 months, yes.  I got tired of using them because they're crap IMO so I eventually went with the buttonless fobs which suck a but less.

3 hours ago, Soozicle1 said:

That's basically the same thing I've done only instead of the trigger being a button, it's a time

Your trigger is a routine, that itself is triggered by a fixed time.  Therefore, you're relying on two separate automation to occur, the first a timed event to run the routine, then the routine to run the disarming action.  You can set up a direct arm/disarm rule in the new SmartThings app without using a routine, which at least cuts out the chaining of automations. 

18 hours ago, IrisUsers said:

Unless something changes in 3 months, yes.  I got tired of using them because they're crap IMO so I eventually went with the buttonless fobs which suck a but less.

Your trigger is a routine, that itself is triggered by a fixed time.  Therefore, you're relying on two separate automation to occur, the first a timed event to run the routine, then the routine to run the disarming action.  You can set up a direct arm/disarm rule in the new SmartThings app without using a routine, which at least cuts out the chaining of automations. 

Yeah I gave in last night and just deleted everything I had set up, including all apps, except the devices themselves and started over using nothing but the ST Classic app from scratch with a different Security app for handling the Iris keypads.  So far so good (fingers crossed) - it's finally behaving like I expect it to and so far predictably, in fact (again, so far knock on wood) it seems to be far more responsive than Iris was, now that I've removed what was probably a bunch of conflicting rules that were causing general chaos.  So for now SmartThings gets a big thumbs-up from me, provided you keep track of where you've configured each action closely as you set it up with a mind toward keeping it as simple as you possibly can.

17 hours ago, beepbeep said:

Looks like I will have a lot of CR2 batteries. Any recommendations on devices that use CR2 batteries like flashlights or LED candles etc..etc..

Thanks - Gary

Miniature bowling?  I wouldn't have any need for the ones I have myself if I hadn't transitioned so many Iris devices over to SmartThings.  I really hate these weird specialized batteries, and now I'm even more dependent on CR123As too.  

10 minutes ago, Soozicle1 said:

So for now SmartThings gets a big thumbs-up from me, provided you keep track of where you've configured each action closely as you set it up with a mind toward keeping it as simple as you possibly can.

You just touched upon one of the side effects of having a lot of flexibility...  With Iris, rules were centralized which made it convenient, albeit limited.   With ST, Hubitat, and other platforms, you can have multiple apps all acting on different events and conditions.  It's a bit more to keep track of, but does get easier as you become more accustomed to that way of doing things.

Glad you got it figured out!!

I had issues with the ST SHM getting false alerts etc but it was because I was using both classic and new apps. From what I can tell the SHM in the new app has no linkage to the classic app. I just use routines to set SHM in the classic app based on presence and it works perfectly. No need for a keypad it just works. Stay away from using the new app, it will mess up your scenes and they won't work right in the classic app. Also the new app is missing routines which is required to use presence to arm and disarm SHM automatically. I also use the button at night to arm SHM and in the morning to disarm it via routines. I'm liking ST way better than Iris. I was so frustrated Iris didn't allow you to pick multiple triggers and actions in one rule. ST does and you even get to pick dimmer levels and colors. I use modes to run different dimmer levels based on day, evening, and night. I'm going to try Arlo cams as you get free 7 days and they have a new doorbell that let's someone leave a message if you don't answer. Just not sure on the battery part and speed. If I don't like it I'll go with Ring I've used their doorbell and like it and their app. They both integrate with ST. I'd highly recommend ST with classic app until they gain parity with the new app. I read they would achieve parity and provide a way to migrate rules seamlessly. bc45f06f371d23771f41d6dcf2289cc9.jpg07353fc0e06f0145f02cd4feda467e04.jpg2618ac2ae3286b3eae225d7d57fe506c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, dusterp said:

. I'm going to try Arlo cams as you get free 7 days and they have a new doorbell that let's someone leave a message if you don't answer. 

I am not sure you will be happy with the Arlo Doorbell.  It still has some issues.  Make sure if you get one it is at least hardware version 1.3.  Some say that version seems better, but the speaker volume on the doorbell in earlier versions is basically useless.  The volume is so low no one can hear you speak to them.  It also requires a battery that you will probably have to replace about every 3 or 4 months, they claim it will last a year.  I have had mine about 3 months and it is currently at 33%.  I assumed since I would be connecting it to my existing door bell that it would use that power but it does not.  You can connect it to your doorbell but it is basically just a switch like a dumb doorbell.  The motion sensor, speaker, mic and the L:ED ring that shows it senses motion is all powered by two AA batteries.

The message feature is not very intuitive.  If you don't respond to the doorbell via the call you get on your phone, then it will tell the person at your door to press the doorbell again to leave a message.  If you press the button there is no further info.   I have been patient as I like the concept and I think with some firmware updates they can make it better.  We will see,

The cameras I like and I think they do a good job, and the fact that you get 7 days of free storage is perfect.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, Smitho said:

I really wish I had taken a screenshot of my redemption offer.
I was in such a rush I just wanted to get "first in line" and I don't remember what the exact amount was... I figured I would be able to go back and look at it, but now I have no proof of the amount.
I know it was upwards of $2,000.... but I'm not sure if it was $2,300 or $2,500 or what... 
Does anyone here have a list of devices and the amount they got for each one?

You should have received an itemized email. I did.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:21 AM, Soozicle1 said:

Security is why I bought Iris, having 15,000 rules on lights is why I stayed even through the painful V2 transition.  

When you have to program your OCD on your home automation system.... 

When you have to program your OCD on your home automation system.... 

I thought I had a lot with 150ish. It was because they did away with groups. ST you can pick as many triggers and actions as you want in a single rule. I narrowed down from 150 in Iris to 35 in ST and have way more control.