Iris is Officially Done
11 11

172 posts in this topic

Dear Iris customer,

As a valued customer, we wanted to provide an important update regarding Iris. We have decided to shut down the Iris smart home platform and related services effective March 31, 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to providing the resources and support needed as you transition to comparable smart home products. 

This letter provides important information on the process and resources available for Iris customers.

PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOUR CONNECTED IRIS DEVICES BACK TO A LOWE’S STORE.

• We have created an online redemption process that will allow customers who have eligible, connected Iris devices to receive a Visa prepaid card to help migrate to another smart home platform.
  • Upon logging into Iris, you will be directed to complete the redemption process using a customized, online tool. You will also be able to access additional information, such as redemption status and support articles.
  • All Iris customers need to complete the redemption process through the Iris app or at home.irisbylowes.com/redemption by March 31, 2019.
  • The online process is the only way you can receive a redemption for your already connected Iris items. Please do not bring connected items back to the store.
  • Customers can return any Iris items they have purchased within the last 90 days that are not connected to the Iris platform via Lowe’s normal return policy (see your Lowe’s receipt for Lowe’s Return Policy details).
  • Some customers may find the redemption value exceeds the amount owed via Lowe’s Return Policy.
  • Many devices used with Iris are compatible with other smart home platforms. For example, SmartThings is a comparable platform to Iris, and to ease the transition, SmartThings’ support team is ready to assist you with the migration process.
  • Some devices incompatible with other smart home platforms are eligible for redemption.

For more information regarding the shutdown of the Iris platform, click here to visit our support article. We appreciate your business and hope you continue to choose Lowe’s for your future smart home and home improvement needs.

Just got that e-mail as well.

I wish I could say I was surprised.  What really pisses me off is that as recently as a week ago they were still encouraging customers to buy the system.

If anyone has any questions of SmartThings or Hubitat (I use both) I'll be happy to help anyone in their transition.

1 minute ago, Smitho said:

I just completed the redemption process...
I'm getting like $2,000 back!!!
I know it sucks, but at least they are compensating users for devices that don't work with any other system...

Congrats!

Looks like everything has been pulled from the website.  Might be worth a trip to see if there are any clearance deals on Zigbee sensors.

What REALLY pisses me off is the lack of reasonable notice. Less thab two months? A year wouldn't be so bad, but < 60 days is unconscionable. Not nearly enough time to intelligently research and implement a replacement system. Lowe's is betraying its long-term loyal customers who have spent very substantial chunks of time setting up their systems - to save some short-term costs. 

11 minutes ago, Smitho said:

I just completed the redemption process...
I'm getting like $2,000 back!!!
I know it sucks, but at least they are compensating users for devices that don't work with any other system...

I will likely get $5k back (two houses, 350 devices). But I suspect that our time that we spent setting up our system is worth far more than the refunds we can get. 

1 minute ago, hxn said:

I will likely get $5k back (two houses, 350 devices). But I suspect that our time that we spent setting up our system is worth far more than the refunds we can get. 

You have that many Iris devices that can't be used on another platform?  Wow...  You can build a nice Hubitat system with that kind of scratch.

I have about 30 of the outlets that i purchased still in the box. I wonder if i start hooking them will they qualify for the program? Its to late for me to return but i always kept them handy. I bought them at lowes for 1 buck each. 

28 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

If anyone has any questions of SmartThings or Hubitat (I use both) I'll be happy to help anyone in their transition.

I'll take you up on that!  I figured those were my two choices.  If you were to choose one to transition to, which would it be?  

I had, I think, 53 devices that are iris specific. I had a LOT of V1 stuff.
Now I get to invest weeks researching new setups and where to go from here... I have some ideas... the biggest thing I am going to want is something that puts SECURITY first and foremost, integrates fully with alexa, IFTTT, and harmony remotes.
I also want cameras that will work with FireTV. I think I should be able to put together a decent system for what I am getting back.

This is great news for systronics though... We get reimbursed for the devices, but they don't want us to return them.
The reimbursement for the V1 stuff should cover the hardware and software for systronics for most people I would think.

I need to get the rest of my V1 devices I have laying around paired.  I didn't go through the whole process as I will wait until I get home.  I also have a spare HUB.   I wonder if you can list devices you don't currently have connected?