March Shut-Down
3 3

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while.  Today I received the official end of life announcement for Iris by Lowes.  March 31, 2019, if you haven't seen it yet. 

I'm pretty angry about it, but the reimbursement is a nice gesture for screwing over so many of us.  

At any rate, I'm using Smart Things at home and it has been working well.  What I need is a system that will use my Iris devices and will easily allow me to do the security stuff that Iris did.  Have any of you found a comparable and compatible system? 

Thanks!  <sigh>

- Tim

My biggest concern at this point is an alarm system with cellular backup where the motion sensors can also be used in home automation.
I want something with wide compatibility with lots of different devices. I'm thinking of going with smartthings with scout monitoring, but I'm not seeing any sort of cellular backup option.

Those with multiple hubs (homes), be careful, as it seems to be only picking up the devices on one hub on my rebate list when I start the process.

Uupdate: Today's revision to the iOS app allowed me to log into both locations and execute the refund process.  $1700 total....nice.  A lot of things to be angry about with Lowes, but in light of all the ways they could have gotten out of this, I think they are being generous in their payoff, often more than many people paid for those devices....no questions asked.  There's no easy way to get out of a business if nobody buys it.

Edited by RonLh
new info, status changed

3 hours ago, Smitho said:

My biggest concern at this point is an alarm system with cellular backup where the motion sensors can also be used in home automation.
I want something with wide compatibility with lots of different devices. I'm thinking of going with smartthings with scout monitoring, but I'm not seeing any sort of cellular backup option.

My issue is smart things uses ADT and it's $40 a month for their service,  Lowes had the only cost effective deal for home automation and security.  It does look like https://getvera.com may be adding a security service soon but their hub is expensive.

Like many here we opted for Iris by Lowes for the offsite monitoring wiht cellular back up. The redemption offer from Lowes did not include any of my Door / Window contact sensors or Motion detectors. I just was told by Lowes Customer Service that the Lowes by Iris sensors are NOT compatible with the SmatThings ADT that Lowes recommends we use. 

I am furious that these sensors are not in fact compatible as claimed by the Redemption Team.

What actions are others taking to maintain off site monitoring ?

It is my understanding that the door/window and the motion sensors are compatible with Smartthings but not compatible with the Smartthings/ADT setup, as in the Lowe's sensors can trigger events for home automation but will not trigger a security event that gets reported to ADT.  You would have to do manual montioring of the Lowes sensors

15 hours ago, jason21271 said:

It is my understanding that the door/window and the motion sensors are compatible with Smartthings but not compatible with the Smartthings/ADT setup, as in the Lowe's sensors can trigger events for home automation but will not trigger a security event that gets reported to ADT.  You would have to do manual montioring of the Lowes sensors

Last night an On-Line ADT customer Support (NOT ADT / SmartThings) rep, contrary to the Lowes / IRIS / SmartThings Reps or other forum posts, indicated that the Lowes by IRIS contact sensors, motion sensors and other unnamed devices are compatible for use with an ADT system (not the ADT / SmartThings) for Central Monitoring, Cellular back up and SOME home automation via their ADT Pulse Ap. It was also mentioned that 10% monthly fee discounts are offered for some affiliations (e.g. USAA, Military, ) and similar 10-50% discounts for additional needed equipment / Installation. I am not sure how accurate this is information is, but will follow up and update since Off-Site Monitoring with a Cellular back up service has otherwise NOT been available with existing Lowes by Iris devices. Bad news is that the monthly fee is 3 times as much but it includes some unnamed maintenance services.  

42 minutes ago, Larry said:

Last night an On-Line ADT customer Support (NOT ADT / SmartThings) rep, contrary to the Lowes / IRIS / SmartThings Reps or other forum posts, indicated that the Lowes by IRIS contact sensors, motion sensors and other unnamed devices are compatible for use with an ADT system (not the ADT / SmartThings) for Central Monitoring, Cellular back up and SOME home automation via their ADT Pulse Ap. It was also mentioned that 10% monthly fee discounts are offered for some affiliations (e.g. USAA, Military, ) and similar 10-50% discounts for additional needed equipment / Installation. I am not sure how accurate this is information is, but will follow up and update since Off-Site Monitoring with a Cellular back up service has otherwise NOT been available with existing Lowes by Iris devices. Bad news is that the monthly fee is 3 times as much but it includes some unnamed maintenance services.  

Version 2 sensors will work with Smartthings and I am not sure about ADT.  Version 1 sensors will not.  SystronicsRF apparently has Version 1 devices working but is only just beginning beta testing,

You don't have to do the ADT version of SmartThings to get security... They have security features built into the base product, and they offering pro monitoring through Scout. I don't remember the rates, but it's much lower than ADT.
Unfortunately, the one thing you do loose is cellular backup. There may be something you can do with a router and WAN failover to a 3G cellular service, but once you pay for 3G data you are creeping up in price again.
That was the biggest draw for me when it comes to the iris security features. You just could not beat the price for monitoring and cellular backup!