What Platform Should I Migrate To
8 8

118 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, loonytim said:

I've been happy with Smart Things, except I haven't been able to get it to do the security stuff I would like.  

Can you elaborate? I've seen where you can use scout for monitoring and I've considered this option.
What specifically can't be done?

Following - Smart things doesn’t look like it likes the gen 1 door sensors but thats just going on the picture on the website.

Sadly they don’t link to my thermostats but they do link the smoke detectors. Looks like you have to use ADT for monitoring though...big $$$$$ im sure

Just now, CTMaineah said:

Following - Smart things doesn’t look like it likes the gen 1 door sensors but thats just going on the picture on the website.

Sadly they don’t link to my thermostats but they do link the smoke detectors. Looks like you have to use ADT for monitoring though...big $$$$$ im sure

You don't have to use ADT for monitoring. The ADT smartthings system requires specific hardware.
There is also monitoring through scout, which will use smartthings sensors instead of the ADT specific hardware.

7 minutes ago, CTMaineah said:

I thinking the same thing when I looked at the picture on the website. Does anyone know for sure if gen 1 iris sensors are compatible with smart things? It would be nice if I didn't have to change out my sensors. 

Smart things is not compatible with my Nest thermostat unfortunately

1 minute ago, calvin386 said:

I thinking the same thing when I looked at the picture on the website. Does anyone know for sure if gen 1 iris sensors are compatible with smart things? It would be nice if I didn't have to change out my sensors. 

Smart things is not compatible with my Nest thermostat unfortunately

Smart things is not compatible with ANY iris branded zigbee V1 devices.
I think there is 3rd party integration with nest... and remember you also have IFTTT with smartthings!

I will have to investigate the Scout option.  When I had set up my smart things system the Iris V1 keypads were not compatable and it would not allow me to use my iris devices as a security system.  I haven't explored it any further than that, but now that I know Iris is out, I will see what I can find out. 

What I liked about the Iris system was that it would send me and automated call if there was an alarm triggered in my office.  Need to see if that is available on ST now. 

12 minutes ago, Smitho said:

Smart things is not compatible with ANY iris branded zigbee V1 devices.
I think there is 3rd party integration with nest... and remember you also have IFTTT with smartthings!

Bummer on the gen 1 sensors.  

Forgive my ignorance... Could you explain 3rd party integration for Nest thermostat and what is IFTTT

Thanks 

26 minutes ago, Smitho said:

You don't have to use ADT for monitoring. The ADT smartthings system requires specific hardware.
There is also monitoring through scout, which will use smartthings sensors instead of the ADT specific hardware.

Good to know.  I;’ll look into scout

3 minutes ago, calvin386 said:

Bummer on the gen 1 sensors.  

Forgive my ignorance... Could you explain 3rd party integration for Nest thermostat and what is IFTTT

Thanks 

Ive read a bit about smartthings, and while I don't have any experience with it my understanding is that knowledgable users can write device handlers for unsupported devices and share them with other users.
From what I have seen, someone has written something to allow the nest to work in smartthings.

IFTTT (If this then that) is a cloud based service that you can use to script actions between services that do not natively connect with each other.
For instance, you could create a rule in IFTTT that says "If a smartthings presence sensor arrives, switch my nest to home mode".
Essentially, because both services work with IFTTT there is some limited interaction you can create between them.

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that smartthings does not natively support alexa or google assistant.
I'm confused. It looks like they DO according to this:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/207808076-Amazon-Alexa-SmartThings-FAQ

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/214609826-Google-Assistant-SmartThings-FAQ

6 minutes ago, sptrr99 said:

Why them?

Http://www.arcusssmarthome.nl

No the same

1 minute ago, Smitho said:

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that smartthings does not natively support alexa or google assistant.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/207808076-Amazon-Alexa-SmartThings-FAQ#What

I will update my site

10 minutes ago, Smitho said:

It does.  The only thing that I know of that a ST + Amazon/Google assistant integration doesn't do is unlock doors.   smart.  lol.  I can only imagine people shouting "Alexa Unlock Garage Door" from my porch. 

16 minutes ago, loonytim said:

It does.  The only thing that I know of that a ST + Amazon/Google assistant integration doesn't do is unlock doors.   smart.  lol.  I can only imagine people shouting "Alexa Unlock Garage Door" from my porch. 

Looks pretty cool that you can also ask it the status of your contact sensors... "alexa, is the back door open".
Can't/couldn't do that with iris

I've wanted to be able to control lighting from my harmony remote for a while, so I'm really leaning towards smart things.

I'm brainstorming a way to put a smartthings hub on a vlan that has cellular backup without the rest of my devices blowing through cellular data if a large windows update or something comes through during that time.
Not really sure how, but I'm guessing there is probably a way.

14 minutes ago, thegillion said:

@Smitho I don't know what all your router can do but I would Vlan the hub then have a fall back for just that vlan.

When my router started flaking out I ended up just taking it out and moving to my ISP's modem/router. I had them disable the wireless and I'm using unifi WAPs, but I've been planning to eventually replace the router.
I have a couple of retired sonicwalls from work I could try... I know they have the USB cellular failover option. I used to have VLANS setup with them, so I'm thinking I might be able to do something with them.
I don't know how much they gimp them when you stop paying the yearly maintenance fee though...