What Platform Should I Migrate To
9 9

112 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

The hub does not have backup power.  There are some options out there.  The power draw is under 3 watts, so even a $30 lithium ion USB battery pack will work.

Configuration is backed up automatically.  You can restore a backup anytime.  You can also download a backup anytime.  You can also revert updates when needed too.

Management is LAN only.  The hub doesn't support WiFi.

No mobile apps.  It's all web-based.

The only reason you might want cellular backup is for maintaining cloud connected services (i.e. Alexa) during an internet outage.  Another reason would be notifications/sms.

It's very extensible.  You can code your own apps and drivers.  There's a maker API to control devices using web calls.  You an also link multiple hubs together.  This allows you to expand capacity, distribute automations for really fast response times, and also reduce the footprint of a hub failure.

There is no native camera support, nor do you want it.  Iris should have taught that lesson.  Look towards Arlo, Blink, or one of those platforms to diversify.

I cannot speak for the stability of the company.  I do know that they've announced a new hub that's coming soon.

2 hours ago, thegillion said:

http://arcussmarthome.com/ I am hoping this may help.

are you going to be able to use the former IRIS hubs, or is it just the software stuff

@thegillion:

Your vast knowledge, is there any platform that senses power failure and reverts to a backup power supply?

Also, maybe we can reuse our v2 hubs(reflash to use for something else....?)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I want a system that works with my leaksmart and water sensors. Wink appears to do so. How does this system notify users (hopefully more than 1) of alarm/ issue.

My parents have the garage door sensor. Im hoping to find something easy for them to use that is compatible.

Hi Everyone,

Full disclosure up front: I’m writing from Vera Home Control. We heard the news today and want to let you know that we are here to help.

To begin with, should you choose Vera for your new smart home platform, we’ll be offering 30 minutes of our Vera EasyStart service for FREE. This personalized phone call with one of our best-in-class customer care representatives will make your onboarding to Vera as smooth as possible. We’re already integrated with many Iris-compatible devices, and are currently putting together bundles of controllers and additional devices designed exclusively for Iris users, so keep an eye out in this space for more info soon.

If you’re not familiar with Vera, here’s a quick rundown. We’ve been in business for ten years. Our platform is beloved for its flexibility, interoperability, and its compatibility with multiple protocols. We also have a robust community of developers. Last year we were acquired by Ezlo Innovation, and with the new resources they provided, we’ve spent the last several months solidifying and expanding our platform.

We aren’t going anywhere, so if you’re looking for a new home for your smart devices, Vera will welcome you to the family with open arms.

More to come. Stay tuned, or visit getvera.com in the coming days to learn about your special offers.

I think threads should be started for each system that will integrate some if not all of the IRIS devices.

Personally my primary concern is security. Second is home automation which is fun but for me anyway is not a necessity. 

I have the following which I would like to integrate into a single system.

Nest thermometer

Ring video doorbell

Arlo Pro cameras

Chamberlain garage door controller

Utilitech Sirens

And a bunch of IRIS contact sensors, motion sensors, and smart switches.

I want the system to work with Amazon Alexa and Google Home Assistant

I want IFTTT

I want an actual phone call like IRIS does to my cellphone if the alarm goes off.

I want to be able to establish schedules for appropriate devices such as light switches as well as rules. This might be a feature of IFTTT but I'm not familiar with IFTTT.

Wink is the only system I've looked into that appears to support most of this and there might be a workaround for things it doesn't support.

Any suggestions?

3 minutes ago, GaryS1964 said:

I think threads should be started for each system that will integrate some if not all of the IRIS devices.

Personally my primary concern is security. Second is home automation which is fun but for me anyway is not a necessity. 

Nest thermometer

Ring video doorbell

Arlo Pro cameras

Utilitech Sirens

I want IFTTT

I want an actual phone call like IRIS does to my cellphone if the alarm goes off.

Wink is the only system I've looked into that appears to support all this except for the sirens and phone call which there might be a workaround for.

Any suggestions?

You can do the phone call with IFTTT but sometimes they are late and not live.

4 hours ago, Devi8 said:

are you going to be able to use the former IRIS hubs, or is it just the software stuff

That is my hope too but I just do not see that happening.  One of the challenges is that based on thegillion’s teardown of the hub, it’s using the SI EM3587 Zigbee chip with co-processor.  SI’s native Zigbee libraries for that chipset are not open source.  My guess is that if we are lucky enough to have them open the hubs, we will have to buy a 3rd party radio stick.

I was looking at GoAbode or maybe a combo of SmartThings and Simplisafe. I've read ST isn't that great about security and that wouldn't make

the Wife very happy. At least I've got a couple of months to research. Paralysis by analysis I say. 

55 minutes ago, GaryS1964 said:

Nest thermometer

Ring video doorbell

Arlo Pro cameras

Utilitech Sirens

I want IFTTT

I want to be able to establish schedules for appropriate devices such as light switches as well as rules. This might be a feature of IFTTT but I'm not familiar with IFTTT.

Wink is the only system I've looked into that appears to support most of this and there might be a workaround for things it doesn't support.

Any suggestions?

I have been running Wink off and on for a few years.  It will take most everything except 1st gen stuff and the cameras.  Having Alexa and Google control will make the changeover seamless for my wife and son.  I also run Hue for some lamps and that bridge will also connect to Wink.  Wink also has Lutron Clear Connect radio built into hub.  All Lutron Caseta stuff connects right to the Wink hub without a Lutron bridge.  Unfortunately, no keypads for the security side.  I am considering separating alarm out and maybe going with Simplisafe.  I installed 2 systems at our church and it works great.  Excellent coverage on a large, 2 story brick building.  Fully monitored and have had both systems installed for maybe 4 years now...

Like others on this thread, I'm kinda pissed.  It doesn't seem to me that there's a "one stop shop" for everything that Iris did.  Some appear to be closer than others, though.  Already went through the redemption process, and it looks like I'm getting about $1300 for my 9 (I/O) cameras and the hub.  My main concern is to try and find a lower-cost monitoring service than ADT.  I had ADT before Iris, and they were charging me about $60/month.  Considering Smartthings & SystronicsRF, but will look into Simplysafe, Vera, and perhaps a few others for monitoring.  Planning a trip in a few weeks.  The Iris system should still work through 3/31, but the $14.99 monitoring is done as of today, from what I understand.  Still have a lot of research to do, and I doubt that I'll have a new hub in place & configured by 3/31.

While it is not mentioned much here, what are the thoughts on 2GIG even if I need to build from the ground up?  I'll get about $1100 to work with. 

I'm hoping that in the next few weeks that we narrow down the best road to go down.

13 hours ago, GaryS1964 said:

Nest thermometer

Ring video doorbell

Arlo Pro cameras

Utilitech Sirens

I want IFTTT

Any suggestions?

Does Wink support gen 1 iris contact sensors

All,

In light of the the announcement regarding Iris, I threw together this spreadsheet to help me explore alternative platforms (SmartThings and Wink, for now).  It's crude and unfinished, but it really helped me quantify some stuff a lot quicker.  I've attached the spreadsheet this reply.  Please feel free to modify with your own data.  FYI - on the "Device & Feature Match-Up" worksheet, the double checkmarks are devices that support Iris devices that I already own.  Hope you find this useful!

Iris Replacement System Worksheet.xlsx

All,
In light of the the announcement regarding Iris, I threw together this spreadsheet to help me explore alternative platforms (SmartThings and Wink, for now).  It's crude and unfinished, but it really helped me quantify some stuff a lot quicker.  I've attached the spreadsheet this reply.  Please feel free to modify with your own data.  FYI - on the "Device & Feature Match-Up" worksheet, the double checkmarks are devices that support Iris devices that I already own.  Hope you find this useful!
Iris Replacement System Worksheet.xlsx

Thanks for the excel! What are the double check marks? Gen1 and Gen2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/31/2019 at 11:57 AM, calvin386 said:

Initially I'm thinking Smart Things.... Thoughts???

At least as an interim step I'm going with SimpliSafe for security. It has name recognition with my Wife and that makes her happy. $490 for Haven

package on their site, got it for $190 on Amazon. They have a BOGO camera offer right now which helps a lot. Using SmartThings for my garage

doors and hopefully thermostats and door lock. Probably a good idea to keep my automation and her security separate. My second choice would

have been Abode, but wasn't as familiar with them. 

Not sure if it's working this way but would it be helpful now and in the future if all conversations about a particular system were together in one thread, or maybe make topic areas for each like SmartThings, SystronicsRF, Hubitat, HomeSeer, etc. Then when someone comes here looking for help with migrating or setting up a particular system it will all be in one place.

Right now there is about 2 days worth of postings plus those from the past so though it would be work to shuffle it all around it might be worth it in the long run.

4 minutes ago, sparc said:

Not sure if it's working this way but would it be helpful now and in the future if all conversations about a particular system were together in one thread, or maybe make topic areas for each like SmartThings, SystronicsRF, Hubitat, HomeSeer, etc. Then when someone comes here looking for help with migrating or setting up a particular system it will all be in one place.

I'll just set up individual sections for each system.