What Platform Should I Migrate To
8 8

117 posts in this topic

So I checked my.local Lowe's this morning and all the Iris stuff has been pulled. I asked about it and they said it was sent back.

After some research it appears all Smart Things sensors use coin cell style batteries which don't have a reputation for long life. So this morning I got on eBay and ordered all the Gen2 Iris sensors / plugs I needed for my house. With my criteria being they had to be new sealed, and not a huge mark up (got most under new price).  Also ordered new cameras as well, and a Smart Things hub.

As much as I wanted to try the SystronicsRF system, it's not quite ready yet, it doesn't support everything, and remotely controlling things isn't likely to happen with my ISP unfortunately. I may still try it later down the road. At the moment I decided to try Smart Things as it seems to be the closest with the least down sides. Now that I will have the 2nd gen sensors / plugs and new Cameras (Arlo) I can transfer this stuff to various systems like Wink, etc, if I decide I don't like Smart Things and I will only be out the cost of the Smart Things hub.

I'm really not looking forward to repairing all the new sensors to the new hub.

Hi All, Vera here with an update. Starting next week we're going to be offering 30% off any controller, as well as six different device bundles starting at $99. For Iris users only. More to come...

Please provide compatibility when you can. Also if you can program routines etc. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, JBKerner said:

Like others on this thread, I'm kinda pissed.  It doesn't seem to me that there's a "one stop shop" for everything that Iris did.  Some appear to be closer than others, though.  Already went through the redemption process, and it looks like I'm getting about $1300 for my 9 (I/O) cameras and the hub.  My main concern is to try and find a lower-cost monitoring service than ADT.  I had ADT before Iris, and they were charging me about $60/month.  Considering Smartthings & SystronicsRF, but will look into Simplysafe, Vera, and perhaps a few others for monitoring.  Planning a trip in a few weeks.  The Iris system should still work through 3/31, but the $14.99 monitoring is done as of today, from what I understand.  Still have a lot of research to do, and I doubt that I'll have a new hub in place & configured by 3/31.

I'm retired now but spent 30 years in local law enforcement. I'm not a fan of monitored services which is why I chose IRIS. All they do is call the police and if the agency I worked for is any example alarm calls are low priority because around 90% of them are false. It could be hours before an officer comes to check out your house depending on other workload. Having said that if I were to get a monitored system I would look for a low cost one that will integrate some if not all of my existing devices and call (as opposed to notify) my cellphone if the alarm goes off as IRIS does. Also motion sensors were and may still be notorious for triggering false alarms so the ability to be able to require two to trigger before the alarm is sounded is important.

I have looked at SimpliSafe and my neighbor has and likes their system. However as far as I can tell it is a closed system. I can't integrate my Arlo cameras or any of my sensors or switches so I would have to run two systems if I wanted any home automation.

8 hours ago, steeladonis said:

All,

In light of the the announcement regarding Iris, I threw together this spreadsheet to help me explore alternative platforms (SmartThings and Wink, for now).  It's crude and unfinished, but it really helped me quantify some stuff a lot quicker.  I've attached the spreadsheet this reply.  Please feel free to modify with your own data.  FYI - on the "Device & Feature Match-Up" worksheet, the double checkmarks are devices that support Iris devices that I already own.  Hope you find this useful!

Iris Replacement System Worksheet.xlsx

Nice work however I don't understand the distinction between two check marks vs one check mark.

1 hour ago, joshfromvera said:

We're looking into that right now. We'll have more info soon.

Definitely needed if you want me and others to consider Vera. I didn't see any of my IRIS or works with IRIS (like GE Smart Switch) devices on your list. Also I have a lot of money invested in Arlo Pro cameras. Don't see any compatibility there. I will keep watching your Vera specific thread for updates.

18 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

Alright.  All done now.

Can a ring section be setup as well?  That looks like a good contender also for the security/safety side that Iris offered.  Home automation was only part of what Iris controlled.  

20 hours ago, joshfromvera said:

https://getvera.com/compatibility/, and yes, you can create your own scenes. 

Any plans to support any WiFi sprinkler systems (Orbit, Rachio, Etc.)?  I see you support my GoControl thermostat, my Schlage and Kwikset locks and you have an RGBW controller.  Any plans to support the GE OSRAM RGBW controller?  Any plans to support Ring (V1)?

On 1/31/2019 at 1:15 PM, Louis2322 said:

@thegillion:

Your vast knowledge, is there any platform that senses power failure and reverts to a backup power supply?

Also, maybe we can reuse our v2 hubs(reflash to use for something else....?)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Ring alarm system detects power failure and switches to internal battery which appears to be rechargeable.  It also attempts to use an internal cellular modem.  The service they use, ATT, is not the greatest around here.  It also messages you via its app that this has happened.

2 hours ago, SBK said:

Has anyone looked at Ring's alarm offering?

2 hours ago, SBK said:

Has anyone looked at Ring's alarm offering?

Yes, I have it, and use it as an Iris replacement.  I have done an extensive review of the product and the installation process here:

I have been generally happy with the product and its build quality... I bought the PRO camera, and that uses a different motion detection system than the battery powered cameras.  As for the alarm system, I like it,  It has been very reliable for me so far, no false alarms, even with the motion detector armed.

The product seems well thought out, including the keypad and hub.  Both indicate by color when they are armed, and both speak to you when arming or disarming.   You can arm Ring using Alexia, not sure about disarming.  The hub contains a 105db alarm built in.  Nothing quiet about it.

The monthly costs are quite reasonable IMHO, appears to come with an extended warranty on all parts as long as you are an alarm customer.  I investigated the firm they were using for monitoring, and while I did not retain the name, it turns out to have been a real corporate high end monitoring service.  I called them, and they were quite professional, US based.

Its refreshing to see things work as described.

All that being said, some folks report a delay on connecting to the camera while it wakes up.  I have noticed a delay, but all actions seem to be recorded in the history fully, based on motion detection, even beginning aprx 5 sec before the motion.  So far, this is working for me, and the alarm provides a sense fo security, which I have become comfortable with.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, rdisom said:

I have been running Wink off and on for a few years.  It will take most everything except 1st gen stuff and the cameras.  Having Alexa and Google control will make the changeover seamless for my wife and son.  I also run Hue for some lamps and that bridge will also connect to Wink.  Wink also has Lutron Clear Connect radio built into hub.  All Lutron Caseta stuff connects right to the Wink hub without a Lutron bridge.  Unfortunately, no keypads for the security side.  I am considering separating alarm out and maybe going with Simplisafe.  I installed 2 systems at our church and it works great.  Excellent coverage on a large, 2 story brick building.  Fully monitored and have had both systems installed for maybe 4 years now...

If you separate alarm and home automation, how do you plan to control home automation?