What Platform Should I Migrate To
8 8

117 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, calvin386 said:

If you separate alarm and home automation, how do you plan to control home automation?

Still researching and trying to figure that one out.  I already have the Wink hub and plenty of Iris stuff that will work with it.  I can find systems that cover both security and automation, but not sure I want to go down that road again.  This time is a pretty big hit because I have alarm, thermostat, cameras and all automation through one company (Iris).  I was hoping for input from my family, but they aren't really interested in any of it.  As long as it works, lol.

I have 6 dogs split into 2 groups when we are gone.  2 have the back of house and backyard, 4 have the rest of the house.  So I don't really need the alarm, but it makes me feel better.

I guess I am leaning towards Wink, since they have the Lutron Connect built in with no need for cloud to cloud for integration.  Lutron really has the best switches with Pico remotes for multiple location swtiching.  

I would like to start a thread to list all the possibilities so we may research and decide where to migrate to. I will dynamically update the initial post as suggestions are made. Keep me honest in case I miss something! 

8 hours ago, rdisom said:

Still researching and trying to figure that one out.  I already have the Wink hub and plenty of Iris stuff that will work with it.  I can find systems that cover both security and automation, but not sure I want to go down that road again.  This time is a pretty big hit because I have alarm, thermostat, cameras and all automation through one company (Iris).  I was hoping for input from my family, but they aren't really interested in any of it.  As long as it works, lol.

I have 6 dogs split into 2 groups when we are gone.  2 have the back of house and backyard, 4 have the rest of the house.  So I don't really need the alarm, but it makes me feel better.

I guess I am leaning towards Wink, since they have the Lutron Connect built in with no need for cloud to cloud for integration.  Lutron really has the best switches with Pico remotes for multiple location swtiching.  

Thanks.... We have a very similar approach to without the 6 dogs. I'm leaning to separating home automation and security. My wife only cares about the security. The home automation is for me because I like gadgets. Iris did it all. Why doesn't one of these other companies swoop in and buy iris. Obviously they are all missing a part of the whole puzzle

On 2/2/2019 at 8:56 PM, GraemeCracker said:

Any plans to support any WiFi sprinkler systems (Orbit, Rachio, Etc.)?  I see you support my GoControl thermostat, my Schlage and Kwikset locks and you have an RGBW controller.  Any plans to support the GE OSRAM RGBW controller?  Any plans to support Ring (V1)?

As far as I know, there is a Rachio third party plugin which works very well with Vera. GE OSRAM has been on our list but it didn't play very well due to some hardware incompatibilities but there are a few alternatives on our compatibility list: https://getvera.com/compatibility/ 

8 hours ago, PeteSal said:

Is Smart Things as easy as iris is with adding sensors and rules?

Adding a device is practically the same.  Adding rules can be a bit more complicated, depending on what you want to do.  You can use canned routines that are pretty simple to setup, all the way up to writing your own custom smartapps.    There is also a large developer community from which to draw from.   There is also a community developed rules engine called webCoRE.  This will allow you to setup all kinds of elaborate rules, but a degree or two in complexity over setting up a standard rule in Iris.

5 hours ago, Terminal said:

Adding a device is practically the same.  Adding rules can be a bit more complicated, depending on what you want to do.  You can use canned routines that are pretty simple to setup, all the way up to writing your own custom smartapps.    There is also a large developer community from which to draw from.   There is also a community developed rules engine called webCoRE.  This will allow you to setup all kinds of elaborate rules, but a degree or two in complexity over setting up a standard rule in Iris.

What about security?  Will the regular Smart Things work for security, like going off if someone opens a door or a window or do I have to get the ADT version? 

SmartThings only provides on real rule creator of their on called Smart Lighting (since this is theirs it works offline as long as all of the devices involved do as well) which really only works for bulbs, switches, and outlets however like terminal said WebCoRE are is the main one used for anything else, because this is a community created app, the rules created with it will not function if your internet is down.  Likewise there are many different DTH (Device Type Handlers) available for devices however if a device works without adding a DTH it will likely function without internet, as soon as you change to a community created DTH (you may get additional functions available) however it will no longer function without internet.

ST Smart Home Monitor Smart App will work for security but will only send you pop notifications or SMS messages rather than phone calls like Iris did.  You can integrate with IFTTT to have it call you by setting up a virtual switch to activate when the siren goes off.

I did smartthings and like it just fine. I can do most everything I could do in Iris. I don't mind the key pad loss because Geo fencing works for alarm etc. The leaksmart valve works but shows up as a switch but works just the same as it did with Iris mostly. The classic app has routine automations that allow things to trigger based on presence home modes alarm status device status etc. I used this vs the lighting smartapp. I recommend smartthings if you want easy migration. I did look at wink and an curious how users like it. The smartthings lighting automations allow dimmer and color control in the rule. I don't see a big disadvantage with nest thermostat not being native as its own app does presence well so it works without it just fine on it's own. I'm going to add Arlo cams with my payday from iris as I needed the upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I did smartthings and like it just fine. I can do most everything I could do in Iris. I don't mind the key pad loss because Geo fencing works for alarm etc. The leaksmart valve works but shows up as a switch but works just the same as it did with Iris mostly. The new app has custom automations that allow things to trigger based on presence home modes alarm status device status etc. I used this vs the lighting smartapp. I recommend smartthings if you want easy migration. I did look at wink and an curious how users like it. The smartthings lighting automations allow dimmer and color control in the rule. I don't see a big disadvantage with nest thermostat not being native as its own app does presence well so it works without it just fine on it's own. I'm going to add Arlo cams with my payday from iris as I needed the upgrades.

Odd about your leaksmart. Mine showed up as a valve w/o a custom device handler. b5040016594f61bbb6403a179b31dc59.jpg

11 minutes ago, dusterp said:

I did smartthings and like it just fine. I can do most everything I could do in Iris. I don't mind the key pad loss because Geo fencing works for alarm etc. The leaksmart valve works but shows up as a switch but works just the same as it did with Iris mostly. The new app has custom automations that allow things to trigger based on presence home modes alarm status device status etc. I used this vs the lighting smartapp. I recommend smartthings if you want easy migration. I did look at wink and an curious how users like it. The smartthings lighting automations allow dimmer and color control in the rule. I don't see a big disadvantage with nest thermostat not being native as its own app does presence well so it works without it just fine on it's own. I'm going to add Arlo cams with my payday from iris as I needed the upgrades.

I have used Wink sparingly for the last few years.  I ran some GE bulbs for a while, a couple of Wink Relays, Pivot Power Genius and a couple of sensors.  It just didn't/doesn't have the security portion that Iris had.  It looks very similar in capability to a bare stock Smartthings setup without all the added stuff that comes with Smartthings being an open system.  I bought a Hub2 a couple of months ago and bought some Lutron Caseta switches.  They are the best switch I have used.  Wink Hub has Lutron Clear Connect radio in it, so you can add anything from the Lutron Caseta system that you could run with the Lutron Bridge.  I don't care much for the app, but haven't really used it for much past a few lights and switches.  I am in the process of switching over some of my Gen 2 Iris smart plugs and GE switches.  It connected to my Honeywell Wifi thermostat through cloud just like Iris.  There seems to be greater flexibility with rules and automations, but I wouldn't have given up Iris to switch.  Until now...😠

I moved to Insteon+UDI ISY about 4 years ago, no regrets. Works with Alexa, Google Home, there is a way to hook it up with HomeKit (via HomeBridge), works with Nest, Ecobee, Harmony Hub, SolarEdge, Hue, LiFX, etc... Not super easy so it requires some entry level "programming" skills, but easier than HomeAssistant. Security is handled by DSC alarm panel and ISY works with that too.

Hit me up in private messages, I'm happy to share any details about it (only came hare because I've got an Iris shutdown notice).

Best of luck!

16 hours ago, PeteSal said:

Is Smart Things as easy as iris is with adding sensors and rules?

I found the rule creating in ST comparable to Iris, but the ST pairing process seems much less painful.  I always had to fight with Iris to get it to recognize non-Iris branded hardware (including Osram bulbs sometimes), having to try 2-3 times resetting and retrying before they would pair.  I paired over 60 devices with ST over the last week and didn't have that problem even once, not even with my CT100 Thermostat.  It made moving over much less stressful than it was to upgrade from v1 to v2 Iris.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:43 PM, JRocket02 said:

Any updates on the discount/packaging for Vera this week?!? Anxiously awaiting......

Yes! Our Customer Care team has all the information and is ready to assist. Please contact us at 866.966.2272 or support@getvera.com

I have Wink hubs & ST hubs...both are for my store & home. I only used Iris for the keypads & siren and I seamlessly moved all Iris door/window sensors as well as NYCE door hinges over to Wink with no problem. All the rest of my home locks, ceiling fans, switches, (GE, Lutron Leviton) are all on Wink as well as about 45 Phillips Hue bulbs...all work fine on Wink. I LOVE my Lutron Casetas on Wink!

The ST hub I use at my store with sensors & 10 Phillips Hue bulbs plus switches & plugs. I use the gen2 keypad with a device handler in ST as I had ditched the Iris hub at store a couple of years ago.

Since I have no gen 1 Iris stuff, I've just decided to stop hoping/worrying about whichever platform is working on porting gen 1 Iris stuff now (SysRF?? It's all getting confusing! LOL) as I've decided to let the dust settle now on me just using Wink & ST. I'm sure ST will figured out a way to use gen 2 keypads with a delayed entry sooner or later...all in all, I'm happy with Wink first & ST second.

By this time next year or sooner, Iris will be just a distant memory for me...all  things must pass.

I saw earlier on the post someone had made a link with an Excel sheet that listed some of the devices and what new hubs they are compatible with.

Is there a way we can make a "sticky" thread for everyone to contribute to and summarize a chart for all devices?   I think an all-in-one list for compatibility would be helpful to everyone.

So I’m done! Got my wink and all the gadgets to go with it, a very small learning curve but I’m happy! It’s doing everything my Iris did and maybe a little more.  I wish you all good luck with whatever you go with! Adios Iris!

So I’m done! Got my wink and all the gadgets to go with it, a very small learning curve but I’m happy! It’s doing everything my Iris did and maybe a little more.  I wish you all good luck with whatever you go with! Adios Iris!
How's the security work with multiple users and presence on phones? That was my concern with it.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:50 PM, mmuzzatti said:

Does the iris v2 keypad work in Wink?

Odd about your leaksmart. Mine showed up as a valve w/o a custom device handler.

I'll try repairing it. But did you have the second gen valve or first gen? I have 1st.