What Platform Should I Migrate To
9 9

138 posts in this topic

If I had to guess I would say second gen.
I went in to the ide site and updated the device type to zwave water valve and it's now showing up correctly. I also had to up date leak monitor in SHM to use the valve vs switch.

I also updated the type for my blinds, love the flexibility in ST to be able to change the device types.

I had an issue with the iris glass break sensor pairing as generic sensor, not triggering on sound, and went in and changed it to sound sensor and it works perfectly. I added a custom monitor in SHM to alert on glass breaking now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I went in to the ide site and updated the device type to zwave water valve and it's now showing up correctly. I also had to up date leak monitor in SHM to use the valve vs switch.

I also updated the type for my blinds, love the flexibility in ST to be able to change the device types.

I had an issue with the iris glass break sensor pairing as generic sensor, not triggering on sound, and went in and changed it to sound sensor and it works perfectly. I added a custom monitor in SHM to alert on glass breaking now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah I had to put in a custom device handler for the glass break also. I just looked up utilitech glass break on the Smartthings forum and that was fixed instantly. Think it showed up as a zwave sensor and now it shows glass break. I agree, the IDE is awesome. I installed a Hampton bay zigbee fan controller yesterday up at the ceiling fan and now I have separate fan speed and light controls that are controlled through SmartThings with a custom controller. It’s made for wink but works with ST. Picked it up at Home Depot’s website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed a Hampton bay zigbee fan controller yesterday up at the ceiling fan and now I have separate fan speed and light controls that are controlled through SmartThings with a custom controller. It’s made for wink but works with ST. Picked it up at Home Depot’s website.

For $49 that's a good deal vs having to buy GE Light Dimmer $45 and GE Fan Controller Switch $50. Plus seems easier to hook up and you get a remote for the wife to manually control it. Also solves for fans wired to single switch for both the light and fan. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Universal-Wink-Enabled-White-Ceiling-Fan-Premier-Remote-Control-99432/206591100

Iris Who?

For $49 that's a good deal vs having to buy GE Light Dimmer $45 and GE Fan Controller Switch $50. Plus seems easier to hook up and you get a remote for the wife to manually control it. Also solves for fans wired to single switch for both the light and fan. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Universal-Wink-Enabled-White-Ceiling-Fan-Premier-Remote-Control-99432/206591100

Iris Who?

Yeah definitely nice with the remote also. If you can’t find the custom DC I can send you the github, you have to install all three. The fan controller and two child ones, light and fan speed. You just pair the controller and the script does the rest.

486bfd31e5aaac4d2c6d923e815a50ae.jpg

I'd like that code as well.  I may consider that!  I bought a GE fan controller switch, but this could work better because I'd be able to maintain use of my light also.  My Harbor Breeze fan from Lowes had its fan controller fail.  A new one costs nearly as much as a new fan itself.  I've read it's a common failure on this brand, so this other controller that pairs with Smartthings sounds right up my ally!  

I'd like that code as well.  I may consider that!  I bought a GE fan controller switch, but this could work better because I'd be able to maintain use of my light also.  My Harbor Breeze fan from Lowes had its fan controller fail.  A new one costs nearly as much as a new fan itself.  I've read it's a common failure on this brand, so this other controller that pairs with Smartthings sounds right up my ally!  

I put a custom one on my GE fan switch also, didn’t like the stock one that was more like a dimmer.
812139f52854168be70fd56e0ed13f6b.jpg

I put a custom one on my GE fan switch also, didn’t like the stock one that was more like a dimmer.
812139f52854168be70fd56e0ed13f6b.jpg

Is that the older SmartThings App? I just purchased Smartthings and I’m using the Newer App. Yours looks better? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, usmcss said:

Is that the older SmartThings App? I just purchased Smartthings and I’m using the Newer App. Yours looks better? Thanks!

Yes, this is the classic app.  I only used the new app for installing the V3 hub and haven't used it since, it is way too watered down.

9 minutes ago, accessdenied79 said:

Yes, this is the classic app.  I only used the new app for installing the V3 hub and haven't used it since, it is way too watered down.

Can you have the old and new app working at the same time  ?  (if you don't know yet what you'll prefer) ?

Can you have the old and new app working at the same time  ?  (if you don't know yet what you'll prefer) ?

I just downloaded the Classic app and also have the new app connected. When I started the Classic App, after putting in username and password it recognized all my devices. So far seems to work with the new app still installed.

Doesn’t show the automations I made with the new app.

SHM is not linked between classic and new app. Routines do not exist in new app. Only use new app if you have to for pairing the v3 hub. Scenes if modified in new app can't be modified in classic app. New app is missing a lot of functionality from classic.

Iris Who?

10 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

I pulled this up on my phone if it helps. I don’t have the laptop available right now.
20d2776115bd1d126a0fd424a434e945.jpg

I am using the same one, in fact I just switched to it a few weeks ago.  I don't really use the app that often to control the fan so the stock one seemed fine.  The only reason I switched is because the stock DTH doesn't have control over the LED.   Our fan switch is facing the bed and when the fan was off the LED shined right in my eyes.  Didn't notice it for a long time as we usually sleep with the fan on and the LED would be off, but we started turning it off when it got colder the LED would be on.   I try to avoid custom DTHs as they will not run locally but I needed that LED off.

4 hours ago, Terminal said:

The only reason I switched is because the stock DTH doesn't have control over the LED

If you use modes have a look at the SmartApp I wrote a few years ago to turn off the indicators when night mode is selected and restore them when it’s switched away from. 

I think I am going to go with Wink for my home automation hub. I already pulled the trigger on Ring for home security. I really wish Iris would have put more into marketing to compete because they truly offered a good one stop shop for all of this stuff.

Question: If I remember correctly from migrating to iris v1 to v2, I had to unpair all my iris devices using the iris app prior to paring them with the v2 hub. Will this remain the same when migrating to wink? Most of my stuff is gen 1 stuff and will not be used, but would like to know for my gen 2 stuff. I

5 minutes ago, mbrooks78 said:

I think I am going to go with Wink for my home automation hub. I already pulled the trigger on Ring for home security. I really wish Iris would have put more into marketing to compete because they truly offered a good one stop shop for all of this stuff.

Question: If I remember correctly from migrating to iris v1 to v2, I had to unpair all my iris devices using the iris app prior to paring them with the v2 hub. Will this remain the same when migrating to wink? Most of my stuff is gen 1 stuff and will not be used, but would like to know for my gen 2 stuff. I

Yes.  Remove from Iris before trying to pair.  You may still have to reset some items.  I moved to Wink since I had a hub in use already.  Most smart plugs moved without issue, but some V2 contact sensors had to be reset.  Most GE switches moved on first try, some had to be reset with the Wink app even after removing from Iris.

I had 3 Iris systems. I have $4700 coming my way. I have migrated to Indigo Domotics. It is a Mac based home automation system. It has the advantage of being computer based not cloud based. It works with many types of devices (but not Zigbee). I have it running with my Iris Thermostats (RTCoA), door locks (Kwikset), and sirens (Utilitech). I expect to have it running with my water sensors (Utilitech) and light switches (GE) once I get it set up at my other house. I am most of the way there to re-using all my Iris cameras as well with Security Spy. Even with the purchase of a Mac Mini for each of my 2 remaining residences I will come out ahead dollar-wise. Indigo gives you true complete control over what you want to do. Not hadcuffed by what a system does. It is not for the faint of hard. If you are not at least a bit of a nerd it may not be for you. Check it out. I am glad I did. I have created my own alarm system using z-wave sensors, keypads, sirens and locks. Fortunately virtually all of my Iris sensors, plugs etc were Gen 1 so I am getting plenty of cash to replace them. So far, Indigo is way WAY better for me than Iris.

"Brave New (Smart) World..."

I've decided to go with SmartThings after Iris and - a couple of weeks ago - decided to pick up a v3 Hub and a motion sensor early (i.e. before getting my card) so I could start getting used to the interface.  I got my Visa card on Monday and used it to purchase another motion sensor, a multipurpose (contact) sensor, and an arrival sensor.  For me, getting the security protocols online is the most important at the outset.  After not seeing an option to have the Smart Home Monitor (SHM) automatically arm when the arrival sensor left the premises in the new ST app, I downloaded the Classic app.  I just created a routine that's supposed to set the SMH to 'Away' when the arrival sensor left.  But already having been out of the house when I created it must be why the SMH state hasn't changed on it's own.  I'll see if the 'Home' routine triggers this evening when I return home.

I did set up a similar automation in the new ST app - one that uses my smartphone proximity to change the SMH state - but it did not trigger the automation this morning when I left.  I did not see an option to use the arrival sensor to trigger the SMH in the new app.  I'm guessing/hoping, then, that I can use the Classic app with the v3 hub to do everything I want to do - until ST decides to get the new app on parity.

"Brave New (Smart) World..."
I've decided to go with SmartThings after Iris and - a couple of weeks ago - decided to pick up a v3 Hub and a motion sensor early (i.e. before getting my card) so I could start getting used to the interface.  I got my Visa card on Monday and used it to purchase another motion sensor, a multipurpose (contact) sensor, and an arrival sensor.  For me, getting the security protocols online is the most important at the outset.  After not seeing an option to have the Smart Home Monitor (SHM) automatically arm when the arrival sensor left the premises in the new ST app, I downloaded the Classic app.  I just created a routine that's supposed to set the SMH to 'Away' when the arrival sensor left.  But already having been out of the house when I created it must be why the SMH state hasn't changed on it's own.  I'll see if the 'Home' routine triggers this evening when I return home.
I did set up a similar automation in the new ST app - one that uses my smartphone proximity to change the SMH state - but it did not trigger the automation this morning when I left.  I did not see an option to use the arrival sensor to trigger the SMH in the new app.  I'm guessing/hoping, then, that I can use the Classic app with the v3 hub to do everything I want to do - until ST decides to get the new app on parity.

SHM in the new app and classic app are not linked. They are two different SHM apps. Yes you'd think they were since the rules show up in both for the lighting smart app but if you manually arm SHM in one app vs other and vice versa you'll see what I'm talking about, they function independently of each other. The new app doesn't auto set SHM arm or SHM disarm functions. Only option in new app is to have phone presence trigger a notification to manually arm. Just use classic for now and SHM in classic only. Classic does use presence to arm and disarm if you use the routines. Routines don't exist in the new app. You have to setup your phones and or fob in classic app to automatically arm and disarm the SHM in the classic app.

Iris Who?

15 hours ago, dusterp said:

SHM in the new app and classic app are not linked. They are two different SHM apps. Yes you'd think they were since the rules show up in both for the lighting smart app but if you manually arm SHM in one app vs other and vice versa you'll see what I'm talking about, they function independently of each other. The new app doesn't auto set SHM arm or SHM disarm functions. Only option in new app is to have phone presence trigger a notification to manually arm. Just use classic for now and SHM in classic only. Classic does use presence to arm and disarm if you use the routines. Routines don't exist in the new app. You have to setup your phones and or fob in classic app to automatically arm and disarm the SHM in the classic app.

Iris Who?

Thanks Dusterp,

Got the SHM in the Classic app set up and designated the fob in the "Away" Routine.  But, for some reason, it still didn't trigger when I left this morning.  I did have both the fob and the smartphone checked as proximity options in the routine, so maybe that was it.  I unchecked the smartphone and we'll see what happens when I get home today.

Thanks Dusterp,
Got the SHM in the Classic app set up and designated the fob in the "Away" Routine.  But, for some reason, it still didn't trigger when I left this morning.  I did have both the fob and the smartphone checked as proximity options in the routine, so maybe that was it.  I unchecked the smartphone and we'll see what happens when I get home today.
All devices checked have to leave under everyone leaves. If the phone was still at home then there you go.

Iris Who?

All devices checked have to leave under everyone leaves. If the phone was still at home then there you go.

Iris Who?

Yeah, both the phone and fob were gone. But it seems to be working now. Maybe removing the phone from the routine did the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk