Arcus Smart Home
8 8

76 posts in this topic

As a huge fan of open source it's really cool that Iris is going to release some of the source code. So now @thegillion , did they name it Arcus, and then you snapped up the domain, or do you already know something or have plans?

It appears you registered the domain before the Iris community post? However I have no idea when the FAQ post went up.... Conspiracy hat off.... haha 😀

Should be interesting to see what you cook up next.

(tin_foil_hat) I was thinking the same thing, that maybe @thegillion may possibly be one of the experts who worked for Lowes hence his ability to design some very cool software to interact with Iris without somehow pissing off the corporate masters. Maybe he knew the shit was going to hit the fan, and help guide the evil empire (Lowes) to put the source code out there. It makes for some wishful thinking on my part but maybe i am wrong (tine_foil_hatt_off)

@thegillion - I know its a stretch - but I have to ask....

When?

I can't wait for 6 months after Iris dies on 3/31/19 - I need something, and I need to replace it probably within a month to get it set up, tested, etc.  If it were the open sourced software that was basically Iris before, then I can make that closer to Iris' demise.

So is Arcus something that could happen within a month - or are we looking at 6 months, or longer?

I don't want to speak for thegillion but from what I have seen they are talking about release after third party review. If Lowe's is handling this there isn't much reason for them to expedite it. Also it didn't sound like they were going to release everything, so there could be a considerable amount of time needed to find and fix those gaps. It would be great if it we're quick but I wouldn't count on it. 

I am going to try SystronicsRF and see how that goes but will be watching the progress closely.

Yeah - I read the same things, and came to the same conclusions.  That's why I'm wondering if @thegillion has everything in place, knows what will/won't be released, and has it "waiting in the wings" pending review.  Having done a couple software reviews - that could take months - or longer.  No idea how many lines of code.  Just a hunch, but I'll bet they find that they have used some GPL'ed code, and that source should have released long ago.  One of the hazards of having so much available on the 'net, git, etc.  Coder faces a deadline, and grabs some code from a place they shouldn't have and plops it in.

I'm asking because I think it would be best to temper everyone's expectations that this MIGHT be available this calendar year - or maybe not.  If this won't be available for months - then anyone actually concerned about household security should be seeking other devices/services.  For home automation - well they can get up to turn the light off in the meantime, and we have another competing open source project available for that.

While I am playing chicken with the March 31st Deadline by hoping for a prayer on either Systronics or Arcus, I did have a thought that might also happen. If Lowes is helping Samsung ST with the migration, it is possible Lowes may turn over, either through Arcus or Samsung the proprietary Alertme (V1) API Source code designs. So it is possible that maybe all those V1 devices may suddenly find a home in Samsung's world. While i have no facts to back this up, it would make sense if secretly Iris was sold to Samsung, but Samsung wanted a clean slate instead of a migration, so Lowes turns over the full 100% source code unredacted to Samsung for some $$$$ and also agrees to open source the rest of it. Maybe i am hoping for things which arnt real, but i would make sense. Of course Arcus would be a great solution when it gets off the ground fully. My bet is thegillion is likely 2-3 steps ahead of us already since he seems to have prototypes brewing in his magic cauldron of code.

I suppose a community of geeks will always thrive when something becomes open source, but how much buy-in is expected from the software development circles once the code is released? I've only seen one programmer so far indicate an interest in keeping this up, but I just got here. I want to get a feel for how much potential there is that I can still make use of all my investment in Iris by Lowes home automation equipment (44 devices, and maybe just as many programmed rules!)

I am 100% for being on the team that makes Arcus what Iris should have been.... everything that v1.0 was, everything promised v2.0 would be but never happened, and more.

Let's just hope that Lowes allows them to make everything open source like we are hoping for.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:18 AM, Wlepse said:

I don't want to speak for thegillion but from what I have seen they are talking about release after third party review. If Lowe's is handling this there isn't much reason for them to expedite it. Also it didn't sound like they were going to release everything, so there could be a considerable amount of time needed to find and fix those gaps. It would be great if it we're quick but I wouldn't count on it. 

I am going to try SystronicsRF and see how that goes but will be watching the progress closely.

I think when they say they are not releasing everything they need to strip out anything related to Lowes/Iris in the software. There is no advantage to them removing any functionality other than that which has to do with their business operations, connections to servers and cloud-based storage/processing etc.

I think (total guess by me, no inside knowledge) that once they have neutered the software and the third party review to make sure they didn't miss anything is complete they will let it out. But as you point out how long is that. Maybe it's in two months since that is all the cushion they gave us, which we're getting for free as I understand it if you were a subscriber to either of the paid services.

I also look forward to trying the SystronicsRF system. It sounds like they plan to provide coverage for just about al the hardware I currently have.

Hopefully we will all land on our feet when the dust settles. At least we won't be locked into one system any longer. And look at it this way you've basically got a pile of hardware for free (not counting aggravation).

I’ll be curious to see what is actually released but I am willing to wager it will not be 100% of the front end, back end, and hub code.  That almost never happens when commercial source is released to the public domain. I’ll be curious to see what gaps exist. 

For instance, V1 devices were licensed by alertMe  if they don’t agree to allow their technology to enter the public domain, then that support will be lost.

Then there’s the Zigbee module in the hub....  If they have any customizations (ie ZDO modifications for V1) that requires a SI SDK license to build.  That costs $1k. 

And it’s likely many of the integrations are proprietary and will not be released. Ie the Genie Aladdin garage door system.  Or Halo which was a closed source product. 

Like many I am very interested to see what happens and for a chance to play around with the code. But one thing is certain, it won’t be the Iris as we knew it. 

8 hours ago, Irisuser01 said:

It’s also never happens that the company says sorry we are closing our doors but hey here is a refund for most of the things you bought.

Exactly, I am sure that is the lessor of two evils for Lowes but it has worked out for us. Could have been totally stiffed and left out in the cold, but they didn't do that and I am thankful for that. So I am not swearing off Lowes for future home improvement related purchases.

11 hours ago, Irisuser01 said:

It’s also never happens that the company says sorry we are closing our doors but hey here is a refund for most of the things you bought.

It could also be a clue that when Arcus is released it will not support V1 devices due to the licensing required to do-so.

@thegillion I know sometimes flashing can end up bricking a device. Have you actually messed with this on the Iris hub so you can provide some insight into risk? Also, is there a chance the system could be set up on a raspberry pi or something similar?

9 hours ago, Wlepse said:

@thegillion I know sometimes flashing can end up bricking a device. Have you actually messed with this on the Iris hub so you can provide some insight into risk? Also, is there a chance the system could be set up on a raspberry pi or something similar?

The Pi would be nice as it would open up a lot of possibilities to Arcus for future expansion.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, IrisUsers said:

V1 devices were licensed by alertMe  if they don’t agree to allow their technology to enter the public domain, then that support will be lost.

If this is the case, how is Systronics dealing with this? 

4 minutes ago, hxn said:

If this is the case, how is Systronics dealing with this? 

They could have licensed it.  More likely they reversed engineered the Zigbee cluster/attribute profile by sniffing the zigbee messages.  That’s not something overly difficult to do.  One of the Hubitat devs has offered to have a look to see if they can reverse engineer it enough to make it work....  Provided someone can donate some devices.