Arcus Smart Home
4 4

35 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Wlepse said:

@thegillion I know sometimes flashing can end up bricking a device. Have you actually messed with this on the Iris hub so you can provide some insight into risk? Also, is there a chance the system could be set up on a raspberry pi or something similar?

You worried about it becoming useless all the sudden? I hear the same thing about updating BIOSs on computers and I still do that all the time anuyways as well. Let's wait and see what happens before or what's needed to run the system before we start worrying about possible worst case scenarios.

Just saying everyone should probably hold onto their equipment and wait and see what happens. At this point even if @thegillion

knows something, he probably cant say anything. We will probably have to wait till after the shutdown at least to find out more.

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

You worried about it becoming useless all the sudden? 

@thegillion

I have only had it happen once with a phone, but the difference is I could easily but another phone. Maybe I should look on eBay and buy a cheap back up just for insurance.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:06 PM, thegillion said:

@Wlepse and @OhioYJ I am working on something for the cameras now. I got them to report to IFTTT and record to a server over FTP. 

This is from the release notes of the latest version (4.8.5) of Blue Iris:  

"We are working to integrate with suppliers of AI technology for person and license plate recognition, as well as build-in some of our own. The first to appear will be https://www.smarthomesentry.com later this month."

This could be a game changer for home surveillance. 

I was on the fence with Smartthings,  too complicated for me with codes and app installs.  I returned the hub through Amazon, ordered a hubitat hub, dont really like that I cant gain access through the hub remotely to do what I want so that is a no go with out doing VPN or something.   I just want something simple, something like Iris, everything there when I need it.  I'm hoping thegillion can work his magic and pull something off.

Would you mind posting what you are finding with Hubitat over on the Hubitat topic?  I am giving myself a headache trying to pick the right system, and not have to get the "look" from the wife on whatever replaces Iris.

10 hours ago, Dredwolf said:

Would you mind posting what you are finding with Hubitat over on the Hubitat topic?  I am giving myself a headache trying to pick the right system, and not have to get the "look" from the wife on whatever replaces Iris.

Hubitat is local processing which I like, but you can't access the hub when you arent home without using VPN.  

2 hours ago, PeteSal said:

Hubitat is local processing which I like, but you can't access the hub when you arent home without using VPN.  

It you have remote access to a PC on your home network, you could connect to it, right?