Arcus Smart Home
6 6

57 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Wlepse said:

@thegillion I know sometimes flashing can end up bricking a device. Have you actually messed with this on the Iris hub so you can provide some insight into risk? Also, is there a chance the system could be set up on a raspberry pi or something similar?

You worried about it becoming useless all the sudden? I hear the same thing about updating BIOSs on computers and I still do that all the time anuyways as well. Let's wait and see what happens before or what's needed to run the system before we start worrying about possible worst case scenarios.

Just saying everyone should probably hold onto their equipment and wait and see what happens. At this point even if @thegillion

knows something, he probably cant say anything. We will probably have to wait till after the shutdown at least to find out more.

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

You worried about it becoming useless all the sudden? 

@thegillion

I have only had it happen once with a phone, but the difference is I could easily but another phone. Maybe I should look on eBay and buy a cheap back up just for insurance.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:06 PM, thegillion said:

@Wlepse and @OhioYJ I am working on something for the cameras now. I got them to report to IFTTT and record to a server over FTP. 

This is from the release notes of the latest version (4.8.5) of Blue Iris:  

"We are working to integrate with suppliers of AI technology for person and license plate recognition, as well as build-in some of our own. The first to appear will be https://www.smarthomesentry.com later this month."

This could be a game changer for home surveillance. 

I was on the fence with Smartthings,  too complicated for me with codes and app installs.  I returned the hub through Amazon, ordered a hubitat hub, dont really like that I cant gain access through the hub remotely to do what I want so that is a no go with out doing VPN or something.   I just want something simple, something like Iris, everything there when I need it.  I'm hoping thegillion can work his magic and pull something off.

Would you mind posting what you are finding with Hubitat over on the Hubitat topic?  I am giving myself a headache trying to pick the right system, and not have to get the "look" from the wife on whatever replaces Iris.

10 hours ago, Dredwolf said:

Would you mind posting what you are finding with Hubitat over on the Hubitat topic?  I am giving myself a headache trying to pick the right system, and not have to get the "look" from the wife on whatever replaces Iris.

Hubitat is local processing which I like, but you can't access the hub when you arent home without using VPN.  

2 hours ago, PeteSal said:

Hubitat is local processing which I like, but you can't access the hub when you arent home without using VPN.  

It you have remote access to a PC on your home network, you could connect to it, right?

2 hours ago, Dredwolf said:

It you have remote access to a PC on your home network, you could connect to it, right?

I believe so but too much work for me.  Hubitat is gonna be out for me.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:36 AM, Dredwolf said:

With doing a ton of reading on their forums,  and asking questions,  I found out that there is a way to access the hubitat hub through the cloud for turning on lights and such remotely.   In order to change rules and add sensors, you have to be at home to use the local processing.   So as of right now, I'm jumping to Habitat.

9 minutes ago, PeteSal said:

With doing a ton of reading on their forums,  and asking questions,  I found out that there is a way to access the hubitat hub through the cloud for turning on lights and such remotely.   In order to change rules and add sensors, you have to be at home to use the local processing.   So as of right now, I'm jumping to Habitat.

This is good info, thank you.  I'm trying to make a completely educated switch, with a solid chance of having something the wife can use within 2 days installing the new hub.  I don't mind tinkering/tweaking/coding in what passes for "spare time" for me by choice, I just don't have entire afternoons to spend.

21 hours ago, Dredwolf said:

This is good info, thank you.  I'm trying to make a completely educated switch, with a solid chance of having something the wife can use within 2 days installing the new hub.  I don't mind tinkering/tweaking/coding in what passes for "spare time" for me by choice, I just don't have entire afternoons to spend.

Another thing I like about Hubitat is that our Iris keypads work when you pair them.  In Smartthings,  you have to copy codes and drivers and most of the time they still dont work.  And with Hubitat, there is local processing,  which we all asked for with Iris. 

14 hours ago, PeteSal said:

Another thing I like about Hubitat is that our Iris keypads work when you pair them.  In Smartthings,  you have to copy codes and drivers and most of the time they still dont work.  And with Hubitat, there is local processing,  which we all asked for with Iris. 

Good info, I have two v2 keypads active in Iris, and a spare that had not been installed yet.  Hubitat seems to keep checking more and more boxes for me.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:58 AM, thegillion said:

@spollo Plan is to flash the V2 hubs and get them working using Arcus

It would be nice if Iris did one last hub update with all of this, Have you running things.  I know I wouldn't mind paying to have everything stay the same and maybe it being local processing as well.

6 hours ago, Dredwolf said:

Good info, I have two v2 keypads active in Iris, and a spare that had not been installed yet.  Hubitat seems to keep checking more and more boxes for me.

Everything I have with Iris is compatible with Hubitat, Utiliteck Leak Detectors, Utiliteck Sirens, GE Light Switches, First Alert Smoke/Co Detectors, my CT101 Thermostat as well as Iris V2 contacts, motions and smart plugs.  I just hope that Hubitat can do some magic with V1 contacts and motions.  People were sending them their v1 equipment so they can see if they can get them working on their system.

6 hours ago, Dredwolf said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://community.hubitat.com/t/compatible-devices-wiki/465&ved=2ahUKEwitvaS9rMvgAhUmmuAKHXaUD0cQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3AllJg7mK0miX8ILC9vkRv

I found SmartThings is OK.  their V3 hub is nice and pretty cheap (about $70).  I still prefer Iris.  Using some user developed drivers (reading the forums help!) I have gotten most of my Iris devices working.  Still can't get the Iris Wifi Smart Switches (plug in outlets) working, and I sold my V1 Iris plug/switches on ebay.  I would menaove to Home Assistant, but after trying, it is a pain without moving everything to wifi devices.

SmartThings takes more 'hacking' like work to get things working, IMHO.  Read their forums, you can get lots of knowlege and help there.

Home Assistant (HA), is really a DIYers environment.  You can do zwave, and you can do zigbee 1.2 devices, but you must get an interface.  HA is infantely more configurable, programmable, hackable, and capable, but not as 'user friendly' for those of us that want a 'plug and play' solution.  (My very smart wife doesn't want to think about supporting it if am not around -- getting older gives you those thoughts a times).

I am keeping my Iris V2 hub until I can find out if we can hack it to put home assistant on it, or a Arcus update.  

I like HA due to not being dependant on the cloud/net/other euphamisms for other peoples computers to work.  SmartThings does seem to require the cloud/net to work.   My iris hub has battery backup and I like that.  Having an automatic 'network failover' to a cell signal is great.  Nothing else I have found has that.

I am looking forward to seeing what ARCUS has made available when that does come about.  Since Lowes is defunding it, I am wondering if completing the conversion to open source may be a volunteer effort by the current development team.  But that is just me musing.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I would absolutely hate to see Iris go away entirely, it was a pretty good system with a ton of potential that I think Lowes / Iris management never really allowed to come to fruition either by restriction, or simply not investing the staffing hours needed to get the job done 100%. 

I have migrated to ADT SmartThings, and am enjoying the ecosystem, but have several other projects that Iris / Arcus would be a good match for given the hardware that I currently have.

So for now, until I learn of the eventual fate of Arcus, either the project launches, I say to heck with waiting for some sort of feedback and launch a fork of my own, or just say to heck with it and throw in the towel, I am boxing up my Iris hardware, All 16 1st gen contact sensors, the secnond gen keypad, and hub, and am waiting...

My 2nd gen contact sensors, and motion sensor are in use on the SmartThings rig monitoring my home office, and my current workshop space. (One of the projects in work is building a dedicated workshop building on my property, which will need to be monitored.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:18 PM, Spott5000 said:

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to ask this, but iwas using the site https://proxy.iriswebportal.com/ that was linked to on this site http://arcussmarthome.com/, and I haven't been able to connect to it in days. Does anyone know if it still working, or if it's been abandoned?

I believe that was the work of @thegillion - gone with the IRIS shutdown