Arcus Smart Home
8 8

76 posts in this topic

I have the Iris Petsmart dog door via the Iris app I was able to lock/unlock the dog door remotely. It was a great way to control how much time my dogs spent outside (barking/digging) but get them outside if I was running late. I relied on this door once my job changed and I couldn't come home at lunch anymore.

Is there a new open source app one can use to control the products through the Iris hub?

Yes, Arcus appears to have all the same code from Iris around petdoors, but I don't have one to tinker with. Your options are 1) port petdoor driver to your platform of choice 2) use Arcus (only if you are very technical) 3) find someone else to run Arcus for you.

AFAIK, I'm still the only one running Arcus in production since Iris shut down on March 31st, so your option is likely on #1.

7 hours ago, AndrewX192 said:

The closest that exists today is https://github.com/wl-net/arcus-k8 - which is a set of scripts to setup Arcus on kubernetes. Some people are still struggling to get it working, but at present I believe that is the easiest option.

So, a quick first glance of this looks like the requirements are pretty high.  Initially I was thinking that we would be able to flash the Iris Hub, connect it to the network, configure everything and be set.  That seems to have been a bit naive of me.  The hub appears to work as a point of contact for Zigbee, ZWave, and camera devices, and not much more, while all connectivity and logic are run on a server.  Looking at the diagrams here, there seem to be quite a few more services than I expected.  As someone who has done this, can you comment on the hardware requirements?  Is 12GB of ram really necessary?  I was thinking of adding these containers to a box I have up, but it probably only has 4GB of ram, so that might be unrealistic.  I might end up going an entirely different route, since the only thing I'm really trying to get connected is my door and window sensors.

Correct - the IRIS platform is a lot like smartthings, in that the hub is mostly a bridge between devices (be they zigbee, zwave, etc.) and the internet, with some local processing for alams. Currently, I wouldn't recommend running Arcus with less than 12GB of ram, but I suspect there's work that could be done to bring it down to a comfortable 8GB, and then 6GB - the challenge is that Kubernetes itself (which is used to manage Arcus) is resource intensive, and particular services like the drivers service and subsystem service are built for a level of scale that <10 users is completely overkill for. For example, the thread pools and paritions counts default to 64-128, so there's potentially some overhead there.

What I'd like to see is more functionality on the hub itself (so that the cloud dependency is not so critical) - specifically: being able to arm when cloud is down, schedules, and some primitive rules. With the IH300 hub this should be possible since it has 2X the ram, but the IH200 which most people have may be a bit more tricky.

Currently it doesn't really matter how many devices you have connected, although the number of different devices you use may have some baring due to the way drives are loaded. Perhaps removing these drivers would help? Anyway, for context my production environment has 3 homes running on it, with ~100 devices in total, and sits at about 9GB of ram used. Thankfully Arcus is not CPU intensive, however Kubernetes currently is - although I think migrating to k3s will help.. A cheap old Lenovo ThinkPad (e.g.a T420) with 8-16GB may be a good target to run Arcus on in the future. I don't expect that we'll ever get to raspbery pi territory, even for reasons beyond memory (I'm aware of the 4GB version), because of Cassandra database writes and SD card wareout.  

Edited by AndrewX192
typos

As an IT professional for a long time all’s I have to say is Don’t waste anymore of your time. Sry but it’s not feasible for ordinary people to put so much time into something so tedious.. I feel like a gambler with a serious problem.. kids ain’t getting fed, dog is running on empty.. just let it die

I am an old IT geek, it makes sense to let it die, but if someone (or better a group) has the drive and desire, go for it.  Make sure and try to make it as END USER friendly as possible, including setting up from scratch if you want it to live long term!

On 9/18/2019 at 12:17 AM, AndrewX192 said:

If you don't want to put time into Arcus, that's fine - there are a bunch of other solutions! There are people using Arcus, and it's working for them. The same can be said about OpenHab, Home Assistant, etc. :)

I have all the last GEN equipment, hub, keypad, sensors, Wifi wireless cams. Is there any support or is it all junk?  I know SmartThings, Wink and Hubitat support the sensors, I am mainly looking for a way to bring the cameras back online. 

3 hours ago, theprep said:

I have all the last GEN equipment, hub, keypad, sensors, Wifi wireless cams. Is there any support or is it all junk?  I know SmartThings, Wink and Hubitat support the sensors, I am mainly looking for a way to bring the cameras back online. 

The cameras will work with Blue Iris.

13 hours ago, Vettester said:

The cameras will work with Blue Iris.

I thought I remembered that being suggested before the Iris forums shutdown. I played around with a trial but could never get them connected some months back. 

Like a dummy, I did not delete my equipment from the Iris app. I did use some network tools to identify URL's etc, now to find what I wrote down. 

Looking at the BI list for Iris, none say that audio is supported. I emailed BI for support. How can I reset the cameras? I seem to recall holding a button 8 times or 8 seconds. 

signal-attachment-2019-10-04-084603.jpeg

17 hours ago, theprep said:

The keypad, and sensors should all work with Hubitat.  The cameras as @vettester said will work with Blue Iris which will integrate with Hubitat for profile (recording, alerting, settings) per mode.  Although I don't have any experience with the model you have I have the original Outdoor and Indoor models working on BI.

2 minutes ago, Terk said:

The keypad, and sensors should all work with Hubitat.  The cameras as @vettester said will work with Blue Iris which will integrate with Hubitat for profile (recording, alerting, settings) per mode.

Having a difficult time identifying the IP address on the camera, followed some older tutorials I used last time but the entire system/hub was still connected. Seemed to have lost my IP list.txt when my Windows 10 Bitlocker went haywire. Any suggestions on how to identify the IP address of the cameras? I was able to connect via Bluetooth the camera and my PC hoping I could backtrace and identify, no go thus far. 

18 hours ago, theprep said:

SystronicRF just released a version that supports the Iris V1 cameras.  It's a pretty solid Security system and basic home automation. Supports most all the old iris stuff. It still needs work but overall I have been happy with it.  

I have one V1 camera and I plan on adding it soon to try out what they have setup.   So I can't comment on how well it works.  

Sorry, I may have misinformed you,. I assumed you were referring to a Sercomm gen1 or gen2 camera.  The camera you have is gen3 which was manufactured by SWANN.  You can try to reset it by pressing and holding the Reset and Pair buttons simultaneously (for 5 seconds). Let go of the Reset button and continue holding the Pair button for about 12 seconds until the camera's LED turns blue. Let go of the Pair button. The LED turns off and your camera will reboot to its factory default state.

If this works you can try and connect to the camera using rtsp://username:password@IPAddress/h264Preview_01_main.  

This also may help :

https://www.ispyconnect.com/man.aspx?n=Swann#

On 10/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, Vettester said:

Sorry, I may have misinformed you,. I assumed you were referring to a Sercomm gen1 or gen2 camera.  The camera you have is gen3 which was manufactured by SWANN.  You can try to reset it by pressing and holding the Reset and Pair buttons simultaneously (for 5 seconds). Let go of the Reset button and continue holding the Pair button for about 12 seconds until the camera's LED turns blue. Let go of the Pair button. The LED turns off and your camera will reboot to its factory default state.

If this works you can try and connect to the camera using rtsp://username:password@IPAddress/h264Preview_01_main.  

This also may help :

https://www.ispyconnect.com/man.aspx?n=Swann#

I was able to get the camera connected to my Android via Bluetooth, it then shows as a WiFi device, Properties then shows IP address. Unable to get the camera to connect with iSpy nor Blue Iris. Seems it would need to first be connected to my network which I am unsure how to do without a UI. 

16 hours ago, theprep said:

I was able to get the camera connected to my Android via Bluetooth, it then shows as a WiFi device, Properties then shows IP address. Unable to get the camera to connect with iSpy nor Blue Iris. Seems it would need to first be connected to my network which I am unsure how to do without a UI. 

What IP address is it showing on your Android device?

1 hour ago, AndrewX192 said:

FYI the cameras are not compatible with Arcus, although it is likely in the future that it will be able to support generic RTSP cameras.

Thanks Andrew. I'll hang on to the gear, wish I had time to trudge through the Arcus cloud build but between work and my MG, time is precious. 

Awaiting the new wireless Kasa camera, bit late as it was to be released in July. Hopefully they're perfecting it. 

On 10/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, theprep said:

Thanks Andrew. I'll hang on to the gear, wish I had time to trudge through the Arcus cloud build but between work and my MG, time is precious. 

Awaiting the new wireless Kasa camera, bit late as it was to be released in July. Hopefully they're perfecting it. 

I'm currently in the process of replacing the existing tooling for arcus-k8 (arcus in kubernetes) to make it easier to setup. Also, there is a plan to release the first "Stable" version of Arcus since 2018.10 (which was the last IRIS release). This should make it a lot easier for new people to onboard. Also, a new Hub OS update is expected shortly, which will make it easier to convert over old hubs.