V1 Contact Sensor Replacement
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

After i have finally vented enough at Lowes shutting down Iris with little notice, i am moving on to better pastures, as we all are now without a choice.  Here is my question. I have a lot of v1 Door/Window Sensors (175+) and dozens of Motion Sensors (about 90 according to my refund from Lowes). Here is my question/Dilemma. I am looking for a door/window sensors that also reports temperature and is zigbee.  I am hoping systronics can revive my sensors when Lowes shuts down, but i rather ask for options if i need to go out and buy 175+ door/window sensors. Smartthings looks interesting, but i am open to other suggestions. Does anyone have suggestions on a cheap door/window sensor with temperature built in?

@mikeyc Did they give you redemption credit on all those sensors? I am having a hard time with my 45+ Gen 1 Smart Plugs some of which had been disconnected or had not been in use when they ran the redemption list. I'm looking at Systronics as well with the # of Gen 1 IRIS items I have like you. Did you see they are looking for BETA testers? You should write them. I thought Smartthings only worked with V2 sensors, no? So that kind of rules them out for both of us? Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Yes i only had 2 unpaired sensors, but otherwise yes i got credit for all 175+ V1 Door/window sensors across 7 accounts. $$$$ I have written Systronics via email, and via this forum several times, no replies.  I guess they have enough Beta testers and i didnt make the short-list.

Smartthings only works with V2 and V3 sensors correct, so i am left with me choice of waiting for arcus/systronics, or dump 175 devices and buy new on new ecosystem.

I ask the same question.... If they are only good on Arcus/Systronics/DEAD-IRIS why would i sell them to someone else who would not be able to use them? they are dead and useless unless arcus/systronics brings them back to life. that is like selling a car to a little old lady from her church money if i am knowing the engine has a blown gasket and the transmission is blown and it has an exhaust leak...haha... that is pretty much the status of IRIS right now, if you wanted a car analogy :)

On 1/31/2019 at 9:07 PM, mikeyc said:

I am looking for a door/window sensors that also reports temperature and is zigbee. 

The SmartThings v4 multipurpose sensors are pretty top notch.  They report temperature and also have accelerometers so they can also report position as well as impacts.  They're also only $20 at best buy.

48 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

The SmartThings v4 multipurpose sensors are pretty top notch.  They report temperature and also have accelerometers so they can also report position as well as impacts.  They're also only $20 at best buy.

Do you know if the magnetic sensor is mechanical?  ie the type I can solder a contact closure and repurpose teh sensor?

9 hours ago, c379776 said:

Do you know if the magnetic sensor is mechanical?  ie the type I can solder a contact closure and repurpose teh sensor?

These Ecolink sensors work pretty well for that.  At my last house I used these to tie the in-wall mounted window and door sensors from the home security system to ST, they also worked with Iris before I switched to ST.  You don't have to solder as they have a small screw mount for external wires.  They are a bit large, however.

5 hours ago, Terminal said:

These Ecolink sensors work pretty well for that.  At my last house I used these to tie the in-wall mounted window and door sensors from the home security system to ST, they also worked with Iris before I switched to ST.  You don't have to solder as they have a small screw mount for external wires.  They are a bit large, however.

I have one of these mounted below my mailbox (to prevent the metal mailbox from interfering with the signal and baking the device) with a Magnetic Switch inside the mailbox.

18 hours ago, c379776 said:

This might be of interest to you: https://www.amazon.com/Qubino-Z-Wave-Contact-Module-ZMNHND3/dp/B07G5FY8KB/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1549482946&sr=8-35&keywords=zwave+contact+sensor 

I have a couple but have not yet attempted to use them. (Be sure to select the "Dry Contact Sensor" in the dropdown product selection.)