Vera Thread - Pro\Con
5 5

34 posts in this topic

Have you seen dates for the cutting of 3G? I know locally they are looking to start cutting 2G but it seems to vary by carrier. So if killing 2G is only starting to happen I would think 3G is safe for a while, but that is something to consider. But if these are wireless you could get something like those cheap Freedompop hotspots. Often they are free with purchasing service, so you could always toss it when it becomes outdated and just have this connect to its wifi. I think a bigger question would be what network is it on and what bands does it support. I have found that coverage varies wildly with different devices all on the same network. So knowing the bands it supports and what is in your area is critical.

I've never used Vera, but I have seen numerous reports that all Zigbee devices execute in the cloud.  Not sure if that is still the case or not.  I can't find anything to indicate that's changed.

Everything is local in Hubitat, unless, of course you're connecting to a device that requires a cloud connection.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:05 PM, joshfromvera said:

John,

Iris offered local execution for most of thier Zigbee devices.  Does Vera offer the same??  I ask because the last time I checked out the platform the entire Zigbee messaging stack was completely cloud-dependent. 

I think this is going to be a significant data point for some.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, thegillion said:

The other thing I'm concerned about that I just now noticed is the 3G network will be cut back drastically soon due to the 5G upgrade

So then the VeraPlus seems like a better deal as the cellular modem is an external device that can be upgraded independently of the hub.

On 2/3/2019 at 5:04 AM, IrisUsers said:

John,

Iris offered local execution for most of thier Zigbee devices.  Does Vera offer the same??  I ask because the last time I checked out the platform the entire Zigbee messaging stack was completely cloud-dependent. 

I think this is going to be a significant data point for some.

Vera has local processing for scenes and all radio messaging stacks. The only cloud dependencies are related to certain cloud-specific features like remote access, camera media storage, logs, etc.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:00 AM, Mustang said:

It seems Vera has all the items that Iris had.

Security, climate, scenes, locks,camera 

Also a phone app.

Just not sure what is compatible. 

See https://getvera.com/compatibility/
There are Centralite compatible Motion Sensors, D/W Sensors, Pearl Thermostat, Keypad, Lamp/Appliance modules and many more to come.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:59 PM, joshfromvera said:

Hi All, Vera here. Starting next week we're going to be offering 30% off any controller, as well as six different device bundles starting at $99. For Iris users only. More to come...

Hello, 

The GetVera site still shows full price. How do we access the controllers and bundles that reflect the 30% discount? Since our time frame is short, especially for those with multiple systems, I would like to get started on this right away. Can you please provide a link or discount code for immediate ordering? Thanks!

5 hours ago, hxn said:

Hello, 

The GetVera site still shows full price. How do we access the controllers and bundles that reflect the 30% discount? Since our time frame is short, especially for those with multiple systems, I would like to get started on this right away. Can you please provide a link or discount code for immediate ordering? Thanks!

Hi there, since these are special discounted prices for the Iris users, the site won't show it, but Our Customer Care team is prepared to answer any of your inquiries and offer full support for the transition.
The Customer Care team can be reached at 866.966.2272 or support@getvera.com

My big question is when will Vera launch their security service and what is the cost going to be. I have found many options but adding home automation to the basic security service adds up to a price I don't want to pay monthly.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:19 AM, joeses said:

What am I missing?  I can't find a single mention of Iris in this page.

On the vera home page I see the welcome to Iris users, along with the 30% discount offer, but still not much specific.

We have now acquired a set of Iris devices and are currently testing them in house. We'll have more news on the compatibility next week.

In the meantime, you can learn more about the discounted bundles through our Customer Care team, who are reachable at 866.966.2272 or support@getvera.com

If anyone has or is converting from Iris to Vera, please post your impressions and results, I think I have narrowed my choices down to two possible solutions.

I am personally ready to switch, but want to spend $ wisely since I am not counting on the Visa card to get started.

I've got a VeraSecure now and was hoping to adapt to it, but honestly, few of the Iris products work on Vera right now.  I've got the camera and smoke detectors working, but door sensors and PIRs do not--big disappointment...  It would be nice to know how quick Vera hopes to incorporate the Iris hardware.  I've got to say though, the cameras on the Vera system are a huge improvement over the Iris cam. 

Yes, I have my one Iris indoor camera functioning in Vera.  I had to manually add it using a similar PN (sorry, I'll have to check when I return home) and matching up the MAC address listed to the camera.  I don't have it set to notify me if motion is detected yet.

Edited by Robert0