Hubitat Thread - Pro\Con

16 posts in this topic

Wrote to CS asking what the Gen2 hub and mobile app would bring. Here is the reply:

Thank you for your interest in Hubitat Elevation. We are very sorry to hear about the Iris platform shutting down.  The mobile app will focus on three aspects, push notifications and mobile presence (geofencing) and basic device control via dashboard integration. 

The only thing that's different in the 2nd generation of Hubitat Elevation, is that the radios are placed inside the hub, so there is no need for an additional USB Stick. The specs are the same.

I think I'm going to try this one first. It seems to support most of my more expensive devices (locks, thermostats, etc.) and I like the local aspects. It also seems to support presence detection with fobs, which I use all the time, and changing modes/scenes with buttons. The Rule Machine sounds flexible, if a little obscure. There is a community writing custom apps. People seem to have found ways to integrate live video onto their dashboards from security cameras, though I have not yet figured out how they do it since no cameras are listed as being supported. For 99 bucks including shipping, it seems like a cost effective place to start. It has no mobile apps, but you can access your dashboard with a browser apparently. That's fine for now. 

I think I'll also try Systronics when that comes out. I have so many Gen 1 devices, I hate to toss them all...

So getting a real reminder of local processing tonight, with my Internet out due to a storm.  Hubitat, with a network on a decent UPS/generator, will still run its scheduled/ conditionally triggered tasks, right?

39 minutes ago, Dredwolf said:

So getting a real reminder of local processing tonight, with my Internet out due to a storm.  Hubitat, with a network on a decent UPS/generator, will still run its scheduled/ conditionally triggered tasks, right?

It sure will!  Also, Konnected.io has a battery backup solution for hubitat that lasts about 12 hours and only costs $40.

2 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

It sure will!  Also, Konnected.io has a battery backup solution for hubitat that lasts about 12 hours and only costs $40.

Good to know.  Habitat is looking better and better, and some of the threads on the Hubitat forum give me hope I can coax enough Iris-style security from it to fill the needs for now.