Wink
3 3

25 posts in this topic

They have had some supply issues over the past few months.  I picked up a hub at Walmart.  They are usually available at some Home Depots, and Amazon. 

I looked at it, but my main concerns were that there are some delay issues when turning things on/off.  Sometimes up yo 30 sec.  Also, Will.i.am bought the platform and he has a bad record on tech ventures.

Other than that, it looked ok to me too.

38 minutes ago, rdisom said:

They have had some supply issues over the past few months.  I picked up a hub at Walmart.  They are usually available at some Home Depots, and Amazon. 

I went to get a hub at walmart and they are all gone now.

I have used it sparingly for a few years.  Back to the original hub1.  I use it for some Lutron Caseta switches.  I also have a couple of Smarthings Gen2 smart plugs and a Pivot Power Genius connected.  Most stuff works quickly on the second gen Hub.  Has z-wave, zigbee, Lutron Clear Connect, bluetooth LE, and connects via wifi or ethernet.  I have a couple of shortcuts controlling the Smartthings smart plugs with Lutron Connected Bulb Remotes that operate locally.  I can reboot my router and modem with this setup. I can't speak for overall speed of system, since I only have about 20 devices on it.  Compared to 138 on my Iris hub.  Wink supports a lot more devices than Iris did, but it didn't cover all the bases like Iris did.  No keypad support being my biggest issue.  I'll try to answer any specific questions if anyone has some.  I can move stuff over from Iris to try it also.  I know the gen2 contact sensors work as well as gen2 smart plugs.  All GE switches and outdoor plugs will work, but there doesn't appear to be direct support for the GE fan switch.  Although people just set it up as a dimmer, rename it to a fan switch and then ask Alexa to turn on to 10%, 50% or 100% and it seems to work fine.  This may also be a workaround for Google Home since they currently don't support the fan switches on Iris.

Just now, thegillion said:

I went to get a hub at walmart and they are all gone now.

I had the Hub1 up until things started getting real scary with Iris.  I picked up one at my local Walmart on clearance for $74.  It was the last one they had, but Amazon had restocked recently.  It looks like Amazon is out of them again.

For more information, check out the Wink Users Group on Facebook.  If you do that sort of thing.  They have a pretty good following and a Wink team member is very active in the group.

Just now, thegillion said:

@rdisom Okay on smart plugs does it report power usage ?

I don't have any of the Iris smart plugs connected yet, but it doesn't appear to have any place for it in the app.  I haven't bothered with power usage since I got a Chai Energy device that connects to my Edison Smart Meter.

I can move a plug over tonight and check that out.

Also, there is no web interface.  A user created one that shows all the devices, and you can control switches from it.

1 minute ago, rdisom said:

I don't have any of the Iris smart plugs connected yet, but it doesn't appear to have any place for it in the app.  I haven't bothered with power usage since I got a Chai Energy device that connects to my Edison Smart Meter.

I can move a plug over tonight and check that out.

Also, there is no web interface.  A user created one that shows all the devices, and you can control switches from it.

Sounds like I need to fix that. LOL

No love on Wink for power monitoring.  After adding a gen2 Iris smart plug, it works fine but there is no place in the app for power monitoring.

On a side note, I added a gen2 Iris smart button to Wink but it pairs as a generic zigbee light bulb.  Those buttons are crap anyway, but looking for some sort of button to use as a doorbell.  Wink was awesome in configuring the Lutron Connected Bulb Remote for operating "shortcuts".  You could pretty much control any device you wanted this way.  Unfortunately, Lutron discontinued this remote.  You can find them on a couple of well known sites for ~$150.  Lol.  They originally sold for around $20, but they are invaluable on the Wink platform.

I've spent the entire morning reading the Wink website. I don't know about this thing. It claims to do Security and automation like Iris did, but it has no keypad or presence detection fobs or.... How the heck does it know who is home and if they should be doing what they are doing? Answer: you have to have your phone with you and running the ap 24/7. It also sounds like you can't trigger anything when you are "away" unless you are single. If you left, and an "away" scene was trigged by your phones' geo-fencing, your spouse or kids would have to disable it manually! 

That's nuts! What are they thinking? Unfortunately, their website discussions are all 2 or three years old, so I don't know if that's still the case. And I don't do Facebook, so if someone knows better please correct me about these shortcomings.

Also, it sounds like the only things that run locally are lights and locks. All else depends on cloud. I think thegillion had Wink listed as "local" on his run-down page.

I've been slowly switching devices over to Wink.  Moved Hue bridge and several smart plugs as well as a couple of V2 contact sensors, one of my garage door controllers and my Honeywell wifi thermostat.  So far, so good.  I am liking the app a little better as I add more stuff.  When you add a type of device you don't already have, it adds the appropriate category to the home screen, ie: thermostat, garage door controller, lights, sensors, etc.  It makes it easier to find devices, except lights.  The app groups bulbs, smart plugs and light switches in one category.  I wish there was a way to separate this out.  There is a "groups" sub category in the lights main section.  I could probably sort here and it would just add one extra screen touch to get to the appropriate device type. 

I am down to about 100 devices left on Iris, including cameras and all security items.  Still researching security systems, but leaning towards Ring since it has most everything I need.

Just finished moving all my GE switches, dimmers and fan controls over to Wink.  Wink recognizes the GE fan switch as a dimmer.  Which is kind of a bonus, since it now works with Google Home.  The Google Home system does not yet recognize the fan switch, but when it comes up as a dimmer it works fine.  Hey Google, set living room fan to ??%

I am still going to do something separate for security.  My wife isn't thrilled about having to learn 2 new apps, but I learned a hard lesson about all your eggs in one basket.  I will probably go with Ring Alarm and add some Ring cameras.  My redemption card will cover equivalent Ring Alarm system, 2 Ring cameras and a Ring door bell with money left over.

I already had the Wink hub, and I only had a few devices that wouldn't move over (V1 smart plugs, Utilitech leak detector, Utilitech siren).  The Ring system will replace all my V1 keypads, motion sensors and contact sensors. 

I kind of lucked out on this deal.  I may even buy a Smartthings hub to play with. Everything I moved to Wink will move to Smartthings except I'll have to add a Lutron Bridge for all my Lutron switches that Wink handles internally.  I picked up a sale price Bridge with dimmer included, so I'm still not out anything once the card comes in.

I've spent the entire morning reading the Wink website. I don't know about this thing. It claims to do Security and automation like Iris did, but it has no keypad or presence detection fobs or.... How the heck does it know who is home and if they should be doing what they are doing? Answer: you have to have your phone with you and running the ap 24/7. It also sounds like you can't trigger anything when you are "away" unless you are single. If you left, and an "away" scene was trigged by your phones' geo-fencing, your spouse or kids would have to disable it manually! 

That's nuts! What are they thinking? Unfortunately, their website discussions are all 2 or three years old, so I don't know if that's still the case. And I don't do Facebook, so if someone knows better please correct me about these shortcomings.

This was my big concern for this platform and what you listed is what I was told in an email from wink. She suggested I load the app on my wife's phone and login with my account since they don't allow multiple users. This disqualified it on my list. I did ST. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I finally got everything moved to Wink.  I am able to recreate most everything on the automation side, with the exception of a couple arrival/departure scenes.  All temperature rules, sunrise/sunset light control, everything else I had on Iris works except the V1 stuff for security.  It seems a little flakey, but that could be due to adding everything I have over the past few days.  A GE outdoor module and a GE Dimmer switch that show as disconnected, but function within the app fine.  Alexa also says they are disconnected, but they still function with Alexa. I've rebooted a couple times and have everything working at the moment.

I bought the small Ring kit and protected the main entrances.  I will finish that when the redemption money comes in.  I'm still going to pickup a Smartthings hub to mess around with.  I will maintain the Wink because I think there are some things it can do that Smartthings cannot. Eg: control a smart plug with a Lutron connected bulb remote to reboot my modem.  It works local on Wink, and not sure anyone else supports a discontinued remote.

I am happy to hear all the feedback on all systems here.  This forum has been great for information, along with a couple really helpful administrators and forum members.

They do allow multiple users on Wink.  Believe it's buried in the Hub settings.  At least V2.

Multiple users are allowed and you can even control which devices the users have access to. Last time I talked to Wink support, they did not support multiple users for geo fence which is what I think they were looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was looking at the Wink website and it seemed like all their products are out of stock. Either they are getting a lot of sales of people coming from IRIS and can't keep up with orders or they are in financial trouble. Hopefully the former.

Does Wink follow this forum?

Where is the best source of information about Wink like compatible devices and how to integrate them? Do they have a dedicated users forum?

Basically I have IRIS 2ns and 3rd gen devices like 2nd gen motion sensors and 1st & 2nd gen contact sensors plus 3rd gen hub and 3rd gen keypad, Ring doorbell, and Arlo Pro cameras. Will any or all work with Wink?

6 hours ago, GaryS1964 said:

I was looking at the Wink website and it seemed like all their products are out of stock. Either they are getting a lot of sales of people coming from IRIS and can't keep up with orders or they are in financial trouble. Hopefully the former.

They have not released any new products or 3rd party integrations in a couple years.  They’re either working on something really big, or about to throw in the towel.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:34 PM, IrisUsers said:

They have not released any new products or 3rd party integrations in a couple years.  They’re either working on something really big, or about to throw in the towel.

A good reason to avoid Wink? And the search goes on.

I’ve begun migrating from Wink to SmartThings. I like Wink, but it has limitations and some annoying issues.

1). I have a Dome Siren/chime connected and set to chime on certain doors opening with different tunes to differentiate doors. Works most of the time, but occasionally will repeat the chime tune 4 times after opening a door.

2). Most contact sensors don’t log activity accurately. There may be no history for a door I’ve been through 10 times, but it will turn on the light I have connected through a Wink Robot. So I know the contact sensor is working. It was this way with 3 different brands of sensors. Iris V2, Go Control and Dome mini sensor.

3). Range seems slightly less than Iris V2 and SmartThings. I have a GE outdoor module that gave me fits on Iris V1, worked fine on V2 after the update for z-wave connectivity a couple of years ago, and works fine on SmartThings so far. It dropped off of Wink 3 times in the past week. Same with a ZigBee contact sensor. Both are at the far opposite end of my house, but they stayed connected with Iris V2. Also, my Iris GDC in a detached shop gave random false notifications of opening/closing or wouldn’t update status correctly.

I will retain Wink for local rebooting of modem and router with a Lutron Connected Bulb Remote set up in Shortcut mode. This works entirely local on the Wink hub. I tried on SmartThings with a SmartThings button, but it requires cloud for any smart apps or so I’ve read. I also like the Quirky Pivot Power Genius I have connected to Wink. May even dig out my Wink Relays and knock the dust off for some project.

I moved 50-60 devices over the last couple of days, not counting Lutron and Hue bridges. We’ll see how it goes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk