Researching the Ring.
4 4

87 posts in this topic

Since Lowe's announcement about Iris, I've probably been researching now 15 hours on various home automation & security systems.  The one I'm leaning toward at the moment is Ring. 

https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-security-kit-14-piece

1.  Has a keypad.

2.  Supports the Schlage touchscreen deadbolt.

3.  Supports the First Alert zcombo (smoke+carbon monoxide) detectors.  Still trying to find verification that it supports the zsmoke (smoke only) alarm.

4.  Hub is separate from the keypad and supports Wifi.

5.  Monitoring is possible, but not required.

6.  Mobile app is free to use, does not require charges.

7.  Motion sensors, and door/window sensors are priced well.  About $29.99 for motion sensors, $20 for door/window.   Costco also has great deals on them.

8.  14 piece kit is about $329.  Still cheaper than I paid for Iris overall. 

9.  Seems this is a new system, and Ring is putting a lot of development actively into it.  Looks like it has a lot of potential!  

10.  Has separate stand-alone sirens you can purchase.

11.  Has a "listener" device if you want to use wired smoke detectors.  You can place the listener near a single smoke detector instead of replacing ALL of yours.  (Really wish Iris had this so I wouldn't have had to spend money for 10 detectors when my house was already hard wired!   

Anyone else seriously thinking about Ring?   I'm actually kind of excited after watching reviews, and looking into it more.

Here is what ring told me when asking about what products I could bring with me from. Iris. 

We're sorry to learn that your existing security provider is closing its doors, Tim. Other 3rd party Z-Wave products can connect to Ring Alarm Base Station, however, only Ring-certified Z-Wave products will be covered under the Ring Protect Plus professional monitoring plan. At this time Z-Wave products that are not Ring-certified will have less functionality (e.g., no push notifications, light switches can only toggle on/off and not dim, non-certified sensors will not trigger the local Ring Alarm siren, etc.). Check out our Ring Alarm in action here: https://bit.ly/2upaRK2. Let us know if you have other questions, we're happy to help!

My plan currently is to not put "all of my eggs in one basket" again like I did with Iris.   Right now I'm really leaning toward doing Ring for security-only, then also getting a Smart Things hub to connect everything else I had on Iris and use ST as my home automation.  

I contacted them (ring). They told me they do not currently support iris leak sensor or the leaksmart valve. I too might seperate out security (via ring) then home automation (via smart things)  to get my leak sensors and garage door functions back.

Edited by IrisWhat?
Clarifying who "them" is.

10 hours ago, IrisWhat? said:

I contacted them. They told me they do not currently support iris leak sensor or the leaksmart valve. I too might seperate out security (via ring) then home automation (via smart things)  to get my leak sensors and garage door functions back.

Definitely continue to take your time and don't jump at anything too quick.   This is the part about Iris going down that sucks the most.  Trying to figure out which systems we can reuse our existing hardware on.  This sucks. 

I contacted them. They told me they do not currently support iris leak sensor or the leaksmart valve. I too might seperate out security (via ring) then home automation (via smart things)  to get my leak sensors and garage door functions back.

Not sure who you spoke with but SmartThings definitely supports the iris, utilitech, and leak smart devices. All mine paired perfectly and natively. b3602db4b188c9214e3ce70ce06bddf6.jpg6aee935125d8560178c10176eac00db6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk1e3fde9284443736fa3591bfd93f9fe7.jpg

In relation to the leak sensor and valve i was referring to ring. But im glad to know smart things does as thats my plan for some of my devices and ring for security. Hopefully smart things pairs with my iris garage door controller too!

I've ordered my Ring alarm!    Should be delivered on Wednesday.  I've spent pretty much most of the weekend looking at various systems and I feel confident the Ring will be a great replacement for the security portions of Iris!  I'm excited to get this and get it setup and slowly decommission Iris.  Piece by piece.. 

In relation to the leak sensor and valve i was referring to ring. But im glad to know smart things does as thats my plan for some of my devices and ring for security. Hopefully smart things pairs with my iris garage door controller too!

The zwave one? Sure does. aaf12679b46299d38481686021c5c718.jpg

Just now, IrisWhat? said:

Let me know how you like it. Also interested to know if it works if no cellular backup and internet is out.  Will it still alarm at home?

From what I've heard, yes it will.   Some use the Ring alarm as a stand-alone unit if they don't have an internet connection.  Internet connection is just needed during setup I believe, or if you want to use the mobile app/notifications/monitoring. 

sI have a question about the keypad.... The right hand side of the key pad has what appears to be 3 buttons(assuming away, home, off) surrounding a round circle. Is the round circle also a button. If it is, I would like to use it for a panic button if I go with Ring.

I will test this out and let you guys know.   I'l be getting my Ring alarm this week.  I'll test it with my internet disabled at my house and see if it still functions, and to what degree.   I will not be doing the professional monitoring option/cellular backup off the bad, so I'll be able to test this!  I'll definitely let you guys know that are interested my results.  

This is a copy of my review posted back in Dec about my Ring Alarm Installation in the Other Products section of this website:

I have recently set up a Ring Doorbell Pro and a Ring Security System.  FYI both are on sale thru 12/24/18 at Costco.com with the security system available also at the stores.  

General commentary:

I am generally pleased with the build quality of both sets of devices.  The Pro camera is decent, giving a good 1080p picture to my smart phone and two way audio.  Occasionally my phone when connected to local WiFi (somewhat slow DSL from Century Link) does not receive a picture.  However, if I connect to TMobile LTE, it seems to work better.

The version of the Pro I purchased was from Best Buy, and included a free Echo Dot and a free chime pro/range extender.  It uses the Ring Android App to get configured.  There are some ports that had to be opened on my router, and Ring 2nd level tech support, was very very helpful in assisting me in configuring this (although apparently it is against their policy to do so).  I ran into an extremely helpful and knowledgeable 2nd level person.  However, those port forwarding settings appeared to disable the Iris Hub, which could no longer connect.

The alarm system install is straight forward, and much easier than Iris.   The Hub has a rechargeable 24 hr backup battery built in.  It also has a cellular backup built in, but this only becomes active if you join their $10/mo or $100/yr pro monitoring program.  In my case, the cell phone signal for the carrier they use (ATT) is too weak here to be practical.  The Hub also has a built in 110db siren.

Installation is easy,.. the Ring app walks you through it, with videos as necessary.  Scanning a code identifies the contents of the box, including all included sensors, each with its own ID number.  These populate the app.   You first connect the hub, either to ethernet, or via wifi... and from there, pull the tab on each device one at a time.  The device makes a connection to the hub, and you can rename it, and describe its location, mount or place the device, then do the next device.  Relatively quick, and all devices connected without issue.  You do not have to be near the hub to do this, I was on a different floor from the hub.  The only issue during installation was a low battery in the key pad.  The key pad, hub, and range extender batteries are recharged when those units are plugged in to ac power.  Technical support is available, wait times vary, as short as 5 min or as long as 20 min, depending on time of day, how busy they are, etc.

So far I am decently pleased with the units.  IMHO, better or similar quality to Iris V1.  Price is fairly reasonable.  Support is available, and so far, has a good attitude.  2nd level very competent, and first level decent.

Monthly fees are required for camera storage $3/mo/camera for cloud storage, 60 days unlimited.  For the alarm, $10/mo enables professional central monitoring, cellular backup, and also as many Ring cameras (including storage) as you want to connect in the same location.  

Since Amazon acquired this for 1 Billion from its original owners, I expect them to expand this and integrate it more tightly with Echo/Alexa. 

This is a new installation, and I will know more with experience and use.

Additional information:  The key pad is voice enabled and speaks to you when armed or disarmed.  At this time, echo dot can arm the system, "Alexia turn on Ring", but does not disarm the system.   This must be done from the Keypad or phone.  For this to occur, Alexia Ring Skills must be enabled also local "drop in" on the echo device.  Door and window sensors beep twice when opened (default).  The $10/mo plan seems to include an extended service/replacement policy on the alarm and camera devices for as long as this plan subscription is active.  The doorbell camera is viewable on android phones and tablets, mixed results with chrome books.  The Ring policy is to replace any doorbell camera that is stolen at no charge, provided they receive a copy of the police report.  New Ring interior cameras (powered, or battery) are currently available at Best Buy, but seem a little pricey.

The Amazon policy seems to be to discount the entry level products sharply to get you hooked (Echo Dot, $29, Best Buy, or free with Ring Pro Doorbell, Best Buy), but then later charge higher fees for add ons, such as the Ring interior cameras $179 (current non sale price, Best Buy) or Echo Show 2nd Gen $229.  The Amazon eco-system expands, and each product tends to integrate and support other products.  For example Echo -> Amazon Music or Echo Show -> Prime Video, or Echo to Kindle Books or Audible.  Addictive, and gets you to voluntarily support Jeff Bezos.  Very smart guy.  Compelling.

Update 12/31/18:  So far, very pleased with the product.  The app is good, both on android and the web version.  Videos with audio are viewable in either spot, and downloadable (although I have not tried a download yet}.  Quality of the app and website are quite good, what you would expect of a well resourced company devoting high priority its product.  Over all very pleased, and will probably buy more.

Update 2/4/19:  So far, still pleased with the product.  Support at first level occasionally seems to be folks working through decision trees.   2nd level, actual technical folks who know the product.  I have slow DSL here, the alarm works good, and the Pro Doorbell camera works ok... so I decided to add a Ring Floodlight Camera.  All you need for installation is included in the box, including tools.  It installed ok, in place of an existing fixture.  However, my internet upload speeds were not sufficient to complete the install...  for the Pro Doorbell (which works) 2nd level says you need about 1 Mb/sec upload.  For the Flood Light Cam, you need about 2Mb/sec upload... so at present I have got a great expensive floodlight, and a nice looking camera that does not work.

We are expecting 100 Mb download and 15 Mb upload from a new carrier here approx end of March... hopefully will solve this problem.  Meantime, everything else works.

Thank you for sharing your review baa!   This really helped to solidify my choice even more, and I'm super excited for this system to be delivered Wednesday so I can get it installed!  :D

I'm ALMOST sold on the ring alarm... 
I have one minor reservation and one big showstopper for me.

#1. Almost zero integration with anything else. No IFTTT, no communication with smartthings or any other HA system for that matter.
I could kinda get past this if it wasn't for...
#2. NO presence awareness.... no keyfobs, no geofencing....  Basically, if I'm understanding this correctly the only way to disable (or enable) the alarm is from your phone or from one of the keypads.
If there was a way to integrate with smartthings or life 360 I'd be ok with this, but I've just become too accustomed to my front door automatically unlocking and my alarm disarming automatically when I get home.

Unfortunately, they have made the statement that it was a conscious decision to leave out that feature as it's a "security concern"... otherwise I would make the jump as they have committed to adding more features this year, but it doesn't seem like they want this feature.
Hopefully they will backpedal on this and change their minds... I feel like it should be an option and you should be able to enable that feature at your own risk...

I am very pleased to be of some use.

Had my first experience with a two way conversation with someone at the front door today.  Wife was upstairs and didn't want to be bothered.  I was at FedEx 14 miles away, when my phone rings like the doorbell... the following video was downloaded later from the Ring website.

This should give you all some idea of what the product does...

I use the Ring Pro Doorbell with the Ring Alarm.

5 hours ago, Dan8785 said:

Thank you for sharing your review baa!   This really helped to solidify my choice even more, and I'm super excited for this system to be delivered Wednesday so I can get it installed!  :D

A couple of nice things I noticed about the video playback shown above:

1. Definition seems pretty clear for a tiny device.  Supposed to be 1080p.  Perhaps it is.

2. Recording began way before the doorbell was pressed, I'm thinking maybe by motion detection, or perhaps it records everything and discards it all except say the last 5 or 10 seconds before motion detection kicks in or the doorbell is pressed.  Either way, I like it.  Nothing seems to be missed here.

3. Play the video, then replay grabbing the slider, and moving back and forth.  You basically have controlled stop motion, with forward and reverse by just using the slider.  This is better than I have seen on some high end NVR software...  pretty cool for around $200. (on sale).

One thing to note about the Pro Camera:  this is a powered device designed to get power from your existing doorbell power supply or transformer.  It installs where the old doorbell button was.  You also need a decent signal from your router... mine is on the 2nd floor, probably 20 ft (approx) from the doorbell itself.

I wish I could afford to drop $500 on the ring elite. I'd love to have it hard wired with ethernet...
I'm trying to decide between the ring 2 and the ring pro. I currently don't have a doorbell, but I have no problem doing the wiring though if I get better performance and I don't have to recharge a battery.  It seems most of the complaints about the ring doorbell have to do with the device taking a bit of time to wake up before you can connect to it. This apparently is only a real problem with the battery powered version. It seems getting power and data via PoE ethernet would be an ideal solution, but I'd settle for hard wired power and wifi data to save $300-$400. When comparing the ring pro and ring 2, the pro looks a little nicer but I think the ring 2 might be newer technology. Not sure if there are any improvements in the actual hardware though. I know they both look similar on paper, but I just wonder if one of them actually performs better when they are both hardwired.