Researching the Ring.
4 4

87 posts in this topic

For those of you who have the Ring Security system I have a few questions for you.

1) Is the Ring app that you use for the various cameras & doorbell cams, the same app that the security system uses?

2) Does the Ring security system have the same home automation capability like the IRIS system did. In other words can you go into the app and turn on/off bulbs, turn on/off smart plugs, unlock/lock doors, change thermostat settings and so on.

3) Does the Ring app have anything like Scenes on IRIS?

4) Probably most important to me, is there something in the Ring app that is similar to Rules on the IRIS system. I have many rules set up and get notifications for all sorts of things that are very handy or have things turn on/off at certain times of day by a schedule.

5) Do the contact sensors(and motion sensors) on Ring transmit battery level and temperature info that can be monitored? If not, does it support the IRIS V2 contact sensors that do?

6) Does the Ring app have a history log similar to IRIS to see what events have occurred throughout the day and filter by device?

I feel like I have become spoiled by IRIS and I don't want to lose any functionality that I've become accustomed to! After IRIS broke out with V2 I almost jumped ship because of all the issues, but I hung in there and I have to say, the last 6 months or better have been very reliable and a great product. I'm quite sad to see this just go away.

Thanks,

3 hours ago, Smitho said:

I wish I could afford to drop $500 on the ring elite. I'd love to have it hard wired with ethernet...
I'm trying to decide between the ring 2 and the ring pro. I currently don't have a doorbell, but I have no problem doing the wiring though if I get better performance and I don't have to recharge a battery.  It seems most of the complaints about the ring doorbell have to do with the device taking a bit of time to wake up before you can connect to it. This apparently is only a real problem with the battery powered version. It seems getting power and data via PoE ethernet would be an ideal solution, but I'd settle for hard wired power and wifi data to save $300-$400. When comparing the ring pro and ring 2, the pro looks a little nicer but I think the ring 2 might be newer technology. Not sure if there are any improvements in the actual hardware though. I know they both look similar on paper, but I just wonder if one of them actually performs better when they are both hardwired.

I bought a couple of Ring 2 doorbells, and would up returning them because:

1. Aesthetically, lots of plastic, felt cheap and tacky.

2. Battery power.  You will need a second battery to swap out to keep the thing running, add another $29 from ring.

3. Batteries and cold do not work well together.

4. The motion detection scheme and the way you set it up are quite different between the Pro and Ring2, and IMHO, inferior on the Ring2 ... also the way you can control the areas of motion to ignore is better on the Pro.

5. I have heard but not verified that the battery powered cameras take longer to wake up.

1 hour ago, cobra427cable said:

For those of you who have the Ring Security system I have a few questions for you.

1) Is the Ring app that you use for the various cameras & doorbell cams, the same app that the security system uses?

A:  Yes.

2) Does the Ring security system have the same home automation capability like the IRIS system did. In other words can you go into the app and turn on/off bulbs, turn on/off smart plugs, unlock/lock doors, change thermostat settings and so on.

A: Ring is a Alarm and Camera system.  However, Alexa (Amazon Echo) can integrate in a small way with Ring and can also integrate with If This Then That (although I have not tried it).  I do use Alexa to turn off and turn on WEMO plugs (Alexa: Turn on the living room) and this works quite well.  No hub is needed for WEMO, works directly with Alexa.  Alexa can also integrate with some thermostats.

3) Does the Ring app have anything like Scenes on IRIS?

A: Not that I know of.

4) Probably most important to me, is there something in the Ring app that is similar to Rules on the IRIS system. I have many rules set up and get notifications for all sorts of things that are very handy or have things turn on/off at certain times of day by a schedule.

A: Rings focus is not home automation.  However, with Alexa and ITTT you could probably create what you are looking for... or take a look at Wink which I think is more home automation focused.

5) Do the contact sensors(and motion sensors) on Ring transmit battery level and temperature info that can be monitored? If not, does it support the IRIS V2 contact sensors that do?

A: The battery level for each device is shown in the Ring app as a colored icon at the device level.  I'm pretty sure the app will tell you if a battery needs replacing.  I do not believe Ring supports Iris V2 sensors, but you could ask them.

6) Does the Ring app have a history log similar to IRIS to see what events have occurred throughout the day and filter by device?

A: The Ring app does have a history which tracks all events.  It is split into two sections, Cameras, and Alarm.  If you click on a camera event in the app, it shows you the recorded video for the event.  The Alarm events include doors opened or shut, motion detection start and end, cellular backup initiated, connection restored, base station reported off line, etc. Pretty much every event.  

I feel like I have become spoiled by IRIS and I don't want to lose any functionality that I've become accustomed to! After IRIS broke out with V2 I almost jumped ship because of all the issues, but I hung in there and I have to say, the last 6 months or better have been very reliable and a great product. I'm quite sad to see this just go away.

A:  I would look at Wink, or Alexa with ITTT.  You may want to spit the alarm and camera functionality out from home automation.  Ring is good at the alarm stuff, and when paired with Alexa I get enough home automation at a basic level, that its good enough for my needs.

1 hour ago, cobra427cable said:

Thanks,

I'm leaning towards ring for security and Wink for HA. Ring will control my door locks, has smoke detector listeners, keypad and panic buttons. Wink is missing these things however, will control my thermostat and lighting and is expandable. ST's is out because it won't control my nest thermostat.

What am I missing?

2 hours ago, calvin386 said:

I'm leaning towards ring for security and Wink for HA. Ring will control my door locks, has smoke detector listeners, keypad and panic buttons. Wink is missing these things however, will control my thermostat and lighting and is expandable. ST's is out because it won't control my nest thermostat.

What am I missing?

Smart things can control nest... just not natively. You have to install a "smart app" within smart things called "nest manager", from what I understand.
The more I look into it, it seems these smart apps that extend the functionality of smartthings isn't really a big deal... Honestly, I never got much out of the integration between nest and iris. Smart Things looks to be infinitely more flexible than wink... almost everything is compatible with smart things either natively, or using a smart app someone else has written.

Received some of the sensors today and compared them to the Iris sensors.  They are larger, but they also appear to be built MUCH better than the Iris sensors that feel toy-like in comparison.  They also come with nice mounting brackets that will make installation much easier in various installation scenarios! I'm really excited to get the main components to the alarm tomorrow after UPS delivers them!  

RingVSIrisSensors.jpg

I have a ring pro and ring 2 battery

both are wireless. Ring 2 is on 2.4ghz and ring pro is on 5.

If someone “rings” the bell it always takes so long to load they walk away. 

My ring 2 picks up quicker than the ring pro. 

This is why I havnt made my mind up to switch to their security offering 

That may very well be related to your home network, or if your doorbells are battery powered, I've heard they take too long to "wake up" also.   From all the videos I've watched for Ring so far, I haven't noticed any lag anywhere, and no one has mentioned it.  Even with Iris I'd have times where I'd have to try loading the app multiple times because it would just be stuck on the splash screen.  Both Android, and PC.  It was really irritating.   After I get it installed I'll be sure to give initial reactions asap for those who are interested.  

3 hours ago, Irisuser01 said:

I have a ring pro and ring 2 battery

both are wireless. Ring 2 is on 2.4ghz and ring pro is on 5.

If someone “rings” the bell it always takes so long to load they walk away. 

My ring 2 picks up quicker than the ring pro. 

This is why I havnt made my mind up to switch to their security offering 

On page 1 of this thread toward the bottom I posted a video of me answering the door from 14 miles away...

The doorbell is pressed at 12 seconds.  The conversation begins at 32 seconds.  That means, in 20 seconds, my phone rings, I pull it out of my pocket, I press the notification on the front of the phone, the video opens on the phone, and I press the green talk button to begin the conversation.

Seems reasonable to me.

How long does it take you to answer the door when a conventional doorbell is rung?  You must get to the door.  Do you do it in 20 seconds?

Have my Ring system setup partially.   So far, it's fairly intuitive and easy to setup.  Having the Hub on wireless is really nice because it makes it a lot easier to hide in other locations.   Out of my six contact sensors, one of the ones I received appears to be faulty.   The Ring contact sensors have tamper sensors on them, and one of the contact sensors keeps tripping its tamper protection rendering it non-functional.  Trying to open a ticket with Ring now about that.    I was able to successfully pair the First Alert smoke/CO detector and in testing, it did trip the alarm and notify me via the Ring app.   The Smoke ONLY First Alert will pair, but it shows as a "binary sensor."   Tripping that did NOT set off the Ring alarm, though it does show battery levels.  Seems it's only partial functionality, but does not work for the main purpose (alerting when smoke is present.)   The siren built into the Hub is also LOUD.  It's probably easily as loud as the Utilitech siren that Iris had.   There are pros/cons to that.  Personally, I'd rather be able to disable the siren on the hub to make it harder to locate in the house.  So far though, the app is clean, and all devices that come in the kit come pre-paired so that's helpful and a time saver.  

Here's a bunch of in-app screen shots I took so you can see the different options available.  It has a lot of customizations, even many that Iris did not have such as volume control via app, motion detector sensitivity, different chime sounds, etc.  

RINGscreenshots.png

RINGscreenshots2.png

14 hours ago, Dan8785 said:

The Smoke ONLY First Alert will pair, but it shows as a "binary sensor."   Tripping that did NOT set off the Ring alarm, though it does show battery levels.  Seems it's only partial functionality, but does not work for the main purpose (alerting when smoke is present.)  

This is disapointing...
I have a halo smoke/CO, and a first alert smoke only... I guess if I go with ring/ST, I'll be pairing those with ST. 😢

1 hour ago, Smitho said:

This is disapointing...
I have a halo smoke/CO, and a first alert smoke only... I guess if I go with ring/ST, I'll be pairing those with ST. 😢

That's exactly what I plan to do.   Or, I may think about selling all of my First Alert Smoke only devices, and re-installing wired smoke detectors so that they're all interconnected.   I don't like that the First Alerts are not.  Then Ring sells a "listener" device that will alert you through Ring.   That costs $35.   New, Wired Smoke detectors would run me about $60, but would be much cheaper of a route than upgrade all of my existing detectors to the combo units.  

4 hours ago, Smitho said:

This is disapointing...

I have gone with the ring alarm for security. I do believe that since Amazon has bought the system that it will expand fairly rapidly.  The only devices that I needed are my lights, which my Amazon Alexa is able to pair with by itself.  Ring does not pair directly with the Halo but they do have “listeners” that you can buy to listen for this.  Also, if you have an Alexa device in proximity, you can turn on “alexaGuard” and it will listen for detectors a well as glass breaking.

So far I am very happy with the quality, ease of use, as well as function, but that being said, I am waiting for them to add IFTTT support as well as more sensors.

I am using BlinkXT cameras, which were also bought out by Amazon so I am hoping for some type of integration but not holding my breath there....

Question on the ring cameras.  

It's a personal preference, but I see a advantages/disadvantages of a doorbell camera vs a mounted style (mounted can be Ring Stick Up or something like an Arlo)

High Mounted:

Pros:  Hard to steal if out of reach, better distance viewing, can see your entire porch to see a package

Cons:  Harder to see the face of a person approaching your door.   

Door Bell:

Pros:  It's chest high so you could a good view of the person approaching

Cons:  May not be able to see packages,  wide angle lens looks a little weird

If I go with Ring for security, it would make sense to use their cameras.

My IRIS camera was mounted high so I'm inclined to stick with a similar style,  but just wondering what people are considering if going the Ring route.    

2 hours ago, Isenberg said:

Also, if you have an Alexa device in proximity, you can turn on “alexaGuard” and it will listen for detectors a well as glass breaking.

Is Alexa Guard available to you? I asked for notification of its availability some time ago through the app, but I still don't have access to it.

I'm gonna try to do all my ring cameras wired if at all possible. 
I don't mind running wiring, I just want to make sure the performance is good. I've heard too many reports of these things going to sleep and taking forever to connect and it seems this is not a problem with their hardwired devices.

Saw my first wierd behavior by Ring this evening.

Told Alexa to turn on ring and she did "Ring is on in stay mode", however the key pad, which sits by the bedside did not change color or show the system armed.

The Hub however, did change color and showed the system armed.

I un plugged the key pad and plugged it in again, it seemed to reset itself and show the system was armed.

I assume the keypad lost connection with the hub.

This lost connection did not show in the event history.

If you can not disarm Ring from the keypad you can still do it from the cell phone.

Okay wife saw ring at target and said look into that. 

Has anyone paired this with z wave switches?

anyone tried to pair a thermostat with it?

How much larger are the contact  sensors than iris ?

i take it the motion sensors are battery powered ? Are they rechargeable?

1 hour ago, Irisuser01 said:

Okay wife saw ring at target and said look into that. 

Has anyone paired this with z wave switches?  This is not supported currently.   The Ring is security/safety only at the moment, But there's rumors they're working on quickly expanding into home automation also in the future.  They do support their branded water/freeze sensors however, and First Alert Combo Detectors.  They also support various Z wave deadbolts.

anyone tried to pair a thermostat with it?  This is not supported currently.

How much larger are the contact  sensors than iris ? Check just a few posts up.  I posted comparison pictures of the Ring sensors VS Iris.  I also posted several screen shots of the various screens within the app.

i take it the motion sensors are battery powered ? Are they rechargeable?  All of the ring sensors that I've purchased and seen so far run on the CR123A sensors (same as the Iris V2 keypad.)    The keypad has a built-in rechargable battery that is rated to last 6-12 months on a charge.   Hub and range extenders also have a built-in rechargable battery rated for 24+ hours on a charge.

9 hours ago, baa said:

Saw my first wierd behavior by Ring this evening.

Told Alexa to turn on ring and she did "Ring is on in stay mode", however the key pad, which sits by the bedside did not change color or show the system armed.

The Hub however, did change color and showed the system armed.

I un plugged the key pad and plugged it in again, it seemed to reset itself and show the system was armed.

I assume the keypad lost connection with the hub.

This lost connection did not show in the event history.

If you can not disarm Ring from the keypad you can still do it from the cell phone.

Huh, hopefully that isn't a regular thing.  So far in using it, I really like this system for its capabilities and customizations over Iris.  It seems  a lot more thoroughly thought out.   The Iris V2 keypad would drive me crazy when trying to disarm because it would flash both the off & on buttons back and forth for several seconds and stop beeping.  Many times it actually had NOT turned off the alarm though.  Thankfully we still had a V1 keypad that would continue beeping!   The random beeps and sounds the Iris keypads gave absolutely no indication as to what was the status of the alarm either!   The Ring keypad actually TELLS you that there is a sensor that needs to be bypassed.   Iris would just make random beep sounds and not arm unless you hit the ON button several times in a row.   

Got my Schlage BE469 touchscreen deadbolt unpaired from Iris, and paired with Ring in under 5 minutes.   The lock is MUCH more responsive on Ring.   When you hit Lock/Unlock in the app, the response is nearly instantaneous.  Iris was a several second delay.  There's also additional options for configuration I always wished Iris had, but they never implemented.  Like Disarming the alarm when a code is entered in to unlock the door.   I could see this being particularly helpful if you need someone to watch your house for you, and you don't want them to have to mess with the keypad to disarm the alarm.   They could easily unlock the door, which would disarm ring.  Then as soon as they leave, you could manually re-activate the alarm from the app. Love it! 

SChlage.PNG

2 minutes ago, Dan8785 said:

Got my Schlage BE469 touchscreen deadbolt unpaired from Iris, and paired with Ring in under 5 minutes.   The lock is MUCH more responsive on Ring.   When you hit Lock/Unlock in the app, the response is nearly instantaneous.  Iris was a several second delay.  There's also additional options for configuration I always wished Iris had, but they never implemented.  Like Disarming the alarm when a code is entered in to unlock the door.   I could see this being particularly helpful if you need someone to watch your house for you, and you don't want them to have to mess with the keypad to disarm the alarm.   They could easily unlock the door, which would disarm ring.  Then as soon as they leave, you could manually re-activate the alarm from the app. Love it! 

Can you assign PIN # 's to unlock the lock?

I never understood why that was so difficult on IRIS  (had to setup an entire user)

It appears you can add PIN's via Smart things,  let me know about Ring.

That part is the same as Iris I believe as far as I can tell from now.   The pin #'s you add to the lock are for existing users you have setup on the Ring alarm system.   But you should be able to setup someone to have a door code, but NOT control the alarm I believe. 

Edit:   The security settings add a user to disarm the alarm by default and I can't find a way to remove that.   The lock is optional however.   So from what I'm finding after investigating, it looks like all users get access to the alarm, you can't have a user for the deadbolt only.   You may be able to manually program additional codes to the deadbolt though possibly, not through Ring?