Researching the Ring.
4 4

90 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Dan8785 said:

That part is the same as Iris I believe as far as I can tell from now.   The pin #'s you add to the lock are for existing users you have setup on the Ring alarm system.   But you should be able to setup someone to have a door code, but NOT control the alarm I believe. 

Ok thanks.

I'm leaning towards smart things for automation (most devices carry over)  and Ring for Security...   but it's really interesting that some of the devices like the lock work with both.    If I go this route, it would be interesting to see if in the future if Ring would allow for more devices to be ported over.   

I don't know if you're planning on using Smart Things or Hubitat or another for smart home,  but is there a reason or advantage why you added the lock to Ring opposed to one of the other hubs?

I actually just bought a Smart Things hub today on Amazon. It'll be here mid next week.   I already have the ring since mid next week so any device compatible with that, I've been moving over.   Trying to keep all safety type devices on one platform, then I'll use Smart Things for all my other Iris devices that are more home automation oriented, such as all my smart switches/light switches, etc.  

1 minute ago, Dan8785 said:

I actually just bought a Smart Things hub today on Amazon. It'll be here mid next week.   I already have the ring since mid next week so any device compatible with that, I've been moving over.   Trying to keep all safety type devices on one platform, then I'll use Smart Things for all my other Iris devices that are more home automation oriented, such as all my smart switches/light switches, etc.  

What other devices from IRIS work with Ring so far other than the Schlage lock (I have the same one).    It would be nice if the leak sensors would eventually work but I see you can buy ones from them  (I wouldn't mind, have the gift card from Lowes)

What Cameras are you using with Ring?   I'm having a hard time deciding between Arlo and Ring.   The doorbell is the popular one, but I'm more interested in a high mounted (stick up) camera for outdoor and another for indoor.

I'm using a completely independant Camera/recorder system, Amcrest.   I have my First Alert Combo (Smoke/CO) alarms on Ring.  They do NOT support the First Alert Smoke only though. :(   Those will likely have to go to Smart Things also.   Or, I may just try to sell the first alert smoke's and install standard interconnected alarms so that they're all connected again, then Ring sells a smoke detector "listener" device that will then alert you/monitoring company if you choose.   Other than that, I don't have a lot of items that are compatible with Ring currently.   I'm mostly buying new devices, then my devices I already owned will go onto Smart Things.   I got Ring mostly for security only.  

1 minute ago, Dan8785 said:

I'm using a completely independant Camera/recorder system, Amcrest.   I have my First Alert Combo (Smoke/CO) alarms on Ring.  They do NOT support the First Alert Smoke only though. :(   Those will likely have to go to Smart Things also.   Or, I may just try to sell the first alert smoke's and install standard interconnected alarms so that they're all connected again, then Ring sells a smoke detector "listener" device that will then alert you/monitoring company if you choose.   Other than that, I don't have a lot of items that are compatible with Ring currently.   I'm mostly buying new devices, then my devices I already owned will go onto Smart Things.   I got Ring mostly for security only.  

Thanks for the info, I'll keep researching on the cameras.   I just figured if you're paying the $100/year for the Ring service,  it would be beneficial to pair that with the cameras since it includes storage as well.

Some other questions on the Ring security....    

I had my IRIS hub tucked away in the basement,  a keypad by the door, and the Utilitech siren mounted high above reach.   I liked having my keypad "chirp"  when you open a door.

I'm reading conflicting things on the "chirping".   It sounds like only the hub "chirps",  is that correct?

It also appears the siren is internal to the hub but that you can buy a secondary dome siren. 

It's not the end of the world, but isn't it kind of dumb to have the siren internal to the hub?   That's telling the intruder "the hub is down here, come unplug or smash me".

What did you do for mounting locations and the "chirp" settings?

I pulled the trigger on the ring system. Bought the 14pc. On amazon, they have the same deal that is running on the ring website + you get a free 3rd generation echo dot which I might put in my garage to turn on and off the alarm when I go/come in and out. I'll buy the smart thing hub a little bit later. I'm trying to figure out if I can bank some of the gift card money and still have same configuration I have now :) I have 64 devices on iris, many of them V1 unfortunately (keypad, contact sensor,s motion sensors, buttons). I don't use the contact sensors for automation really nor the motion sensors. 

41 minutes ago, Irisuser01 said:

Yeah after reading these I’ve started the process of going with Ring for security and using smartthings for lights and HVAC. 

Not going with abode. I think they will eventually fall like iris did. 

That's the thing, I don't want to go through this same BS 2 years from now at least on the security end so I'm going with Ring.  Never a guarantee as I kinda thought the same thing about Lowes Iris. 

5 hours ago, jeff909 said:

Thanks for the info, I'll keep researching on the cameras.   I just figured if you're paying the $100/year for the Ring service,  it would be beneficial to pair that with the cameras since it includes storage as well.

Some other questions on the Ring security....    

I had my IRIS hub tucked away in the basement,  a keypad by the door, and the Utilitech siren mounted high above reach.   I liked having my keypad "chirp"  when you open a door.

I'm reading conflicting things on the "chirping".   It sounds like only the hub "chirps",  is that correct?  Unfortunately yes, the Hub is the only component on the Ring system that makes the door chime sounds.   The keypad does have a siren on it, and it does announce system status such as armed, disarmed, etc.   The keypad also makes the entry and exit countdown sounds as well as the hub.  I also just purchased the external Dome siren last night to add on.   It's cheapest on Ring.com that I've found.   I have the hub hidden in my basement ceiling where it is not visible.  I can still hear the chime sound throughout the house when a door opens actually, surprisingly well.   The hub has an adjustable volume through the app, same with the keypad.

It also appears the siren is internal to the hub but that you can buy a secondary dome siren.  Correct.  It is $30 on Ring.com.   That's the cheapest I found it. 

It's not the end of the world, but isn't it kind of dumb to have the siren internal to the hub?   That's telling the intruder "the hub is down here, come unplug or smash me".  I agree 100%.   If there were a way to have the door chimes come through a secondary speaker, I would do that and silence the hub speaker completely for that reason.   Iris V1 was guilty of this as well.  However, I plan to install a few of the external Dome sirens which are a similar DB to the hub.  Having those strategically placed will help mask the noise coming from the hub making its siren not noticeable especially for an intruder who would be in a hurry more than likely. 

What did you do for mounting locations and the "chirp" settings?  Answered above.   For the chirp sound, I have just my contact sensors set to chirp.  I left it on the default sound as I liked that one the most. 

15 hours ago, Dan8785 said:

Like Disarming the alarm when a code is entered in to unlock the door.  

There was a rule in iris that would disarm the alarm when a lock was unlocked. I never used it though because it wasn’t tied to the entry code specifically... if you unlocked the door from the inside without a code it would also disarm. I just didn’t like that from a security standpoint.

Does this work the same way?

11 hours ago, Dan8785 said:

Thanks for the info.  Let us know how the dome siren works and if you think it's very loud.

Regarding the lack of keypad "chirps" ,    If it counts down for the alarm arming,  it obviously should be capable of playing door chirps,  so you never know may they'd update it during a future update.

I went to best buy and looked at the kits,  they seem nice and are on sale with a free echo dot.  Seems like this is a good choice.

I keep seeing a lot of potential with Ring, but some things that could be improved.    They have lighting products that were shown at CES that are for sale on their site that also include a lighting hub and a smaller motion sensor than the one that comes with the alarm kit.

I checked with their support,  that new smaller motion sensor only works with the lighting and it does not work for the alarm.

Seems a little silly doesn't it...  that you can buy the ring alarm hub....    but that all the other lighting products communicate with a separate hub and it's not a universal hub?   

I was hoping they'd start to roll out more products into a hub / app solution,  but if this is what they're doing with the latest products it seems strange.

6 hours ago, Smitho said:

There was a rule in iris that would disarm the alarm when a lock was unlocked. I never used it though because it wasn’t tied to the entry code specifically... if you unlocked the door from the inside without a code it would also disarm. I just didn’t like that from a security standpoint.

Does this work the same way?

It doesn't work the same as Iris.   Manually unlocking the Schlage lock either by key, or from the inside will NOT disarm the Ring alarm.  It is only disarmed if a correct code is entered in.  

5 hours ago, jeff909 said:

I keep seeing a lot of potential with Ring, but some things that could be improved.    They have lighting products that were shown at CES that are for sale on their site that also include a lighting hub and a smaller motion sensor than the one that comes with the alarm kit.

I checked with their support,  that new smaller motion sensor only works with the lighting and it does not work for the alarm.

Seems a little silly doesn't it...  that you can buy the ring alarm hub....    but that all the other lighting products communicate with a separate hub and it's not a universal hub?   

I was hoping they'd start to roll out more products into a hub / app solution,  but if this is what they're doing with the latest products it seems strange.

From my understanding, the logic was that the lighting is all outdoor products and they often need more range so they used a proprietary wireless technology. Its probably more reliable for more people, but it does create more compartmentalization in their ecosystem.
For a lot of people, when they start doing things like path lights, range could be an issue for protocols like z-wave. I'm not sure that gamble will pay off... I just don't see those products selling well, but I could be wrong.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:14 PM, IrisWhat? said:

I pulled the trigger on the ring system. Bought the 14pc. On amazon, they have the same deal that is running on the ring website + you get a free 3rd generation echo dot which I might put in my garage to turn on and off the alarm when I go/come in and out. I'll buy the smart thing hub a little bit later. I'm trying to figure out if I can bank some of the gift card money and still have same configuration I have now :) I have 64 devices on iris, many of them V1 unfortunately (keypad, contact sensor,s motion sensors, buttons). I don't use the contact sensors for automation really nor the motion sensors. 

I'm hoping they still have this same deal whenever the gift cards arrive. I have 3 echo devices but can always use another. In fact, I'm thinking of switching out my nest for an ecobee 4. The more places alexa can hear me from the better!
Right now my wife is out of work and I can't swing buying this stuff up front and then getting reimbursement for it later, so I have to wait... 😕

Just FYI, if you're thinking of getting a Ring Video in the near future and the professional monitoring service ($100/yr), Costco has Ring Video 2 w/ Chime for $149.99 which also include cloud recording for 1 year. But if you get it with the Ring Alarm (Costco has one for $219.99), you get the first year of monitoring service for free too. So essentially the Video 2 costs just $49.99 more. With monitoring service, you can also reduce your home insurance (about $250/yr for me). Seems like a great combo system for people want/need prof monitoring service.

26 minutes ago, thejq said:

Just FYI, if you're thinking of getting a Ring Video in the near future and the professional monitoring service ($100/yr), Costco has Ring Video 2 w/ Chime for $149.99 which also include cloud recording for 1 year. But if you get it with the Ring Alarm (Costco has one for $219.99), you get the first year of monitoring service for free too. So essentially the Video 2 costs just $49.99 more. With monitoring service, you can also reduce your home insurance (about $250/yr for me). Seems like a great combo system for people want/need prof monitoring service.

Plus $60 for the costco membership to allow you the privilege to shop at their store 🙄

10 minutes ago, Smitho said:

Plus $60 for the costco membership to allow you the privilege to shop at their store 🙄

Yea, but it's a online deal, so if you have friends/family with Costco membership, you can give them the Iris refund CC (if it arrives in time), they can order and ship it to you directly.

59 minutes ago, thejq said:

Yea, but it's a online deal, so if you have friends/family with Costco membership, you can give them the Iris refund CC (if it arrives in time), they can order and ship it to you directly.

Either way, I'm planning to go with the Ring Pro. I'm going to hard wire it so I don't need the battery. I prefer the smaller form factor (the Ring 2 looks cheap to me) and from what I can understand the pro can connect to 5ghz networks, where the others are 2.4ghz only.
Additionally, I've read multiple complaints that the ring doorbell 2 can't connect to 2.4ghz networks that share the same name as a 5ghz one. I would much prefer to keep my one SSID, which is standard practice with ubiquiti access points.

2 hours ago, thejq said:

Wait a second ....  the year of protect monitoring service costs $100/year

Are you saying the 10 piece alarm kit ($259 on ring.com) is only $219 and you get the $100/year protect plan for free?   I don’t doubt they would give you the $30/year camera plan with a doorbell for free but sorry if I’m skeptical but giving you the $259 10 piece alarm system + $100 protect plan ($359 value) for $219 seems too good to be true.  Is it ?

17 minutes ago, jeff909 said:

Wait a second ....  the year of protect monitoring service costs $100/year

Are you saying the 10 piece alarm kit ($259 on ring.com) is only $219 and you get the $100/year protect plan for free?   I don’t doubt they would give you the $30/year camera plan with a doorbell for free but sorry if I’m skeptical but giving you the $259 10 piece alarm system + $100 protect plan ($359 value) for $219 seems too good to be true.  Is it ?

No, not if you only get the 10 piece. You need to buy the Ring Video 2 combo for $149.99 which comes with 1-yr cloud service and ONLY from COSTCO, but with the additional 10 piece security system, the bonus becomes 1-yr prof monitored service. So you have to buy both combos (from COSTCO) to get the $100/yr bonus. Since I was going to get the Ring security service any way to reduce my home insurance, it's a no brainer for me to go this way.

I just purchased the ring alarm.  It's a decent alternative with cheap monitoring.  It shows a lot of promise but I'm already missing the ability to schedule my alarm.  Build quality is good and I'm sure it will be a good platform with Amazon owning it.