Researching the Ring.
4 4

130 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, thejq said:

No, not if you only get the 10 piece. You need to buy the Ring Video 2 combo for $149.99 which comes with 1-yr cloud service and ONLY from COSTCO, but with the additional 10 piece security system, the bonus becomes 1-yr prof monitored service. So you have to buy both combos (from COSTCO) to get the $100/yr bonus. Since I was going to get the Ring security service any way to reduce my home insurance, it's a no brainer for me to go this way.

Ok thanks for the clarification.  

Id like to maximize the savings but honestly with my door the Pro would look a lot better than the 2 so I don’t mind paying a little more.  

My strategy instead of Costco...

1.  Buy the Pro doorbell at Best Buy w/ free Echo Dot for $199.  (Website says Dot 2nd gen but display said 3rd gen in store)

2.  Install and sign up for $100/year service.  

3.   One benefit of the Pro service is a 10% discount on Ring hardware.   I plan on buying the stick up cam, Siren, flood sensor , etc, anyhow so the 10% over those items would be nice.   Note:  the Pro Dell Bell  isn’t eligible for the 10%.

I’m mildly interested in the $80 path lighting 2 pack with a hub too.  

1 hour ago, jeff909 said:

Ok thanks for the clarification.  

Id like to maximize the savings but honestly with my door the Pro would look a lot better than the 2 so I don’t mind paying a little more.  

My strategy instead of Costco...

1.  Buy the Pro doorbell at Best Buy w/ free Echo Dot for $199.  (Website says Dot 2nd gen but display said 3rd gen in store)

2.  Install and sign up for $100/year service.  

3.   One benefit of the Pro service is a 10% discount on Ring hardware.   I plan on buying the stick up cam, Siren, flood sensor , etc, anyhow so the 10% over those items would be nice.   Note:  the Pro Dell Bell  isn’t eligible for the 10%.

I’m mildly interested in the $80 path lighting 2 pack with a hub too.  

Why go for the pro?  Yes it's worth a little extra but with this deal it's essentially 150 more.  Both can be hard wired...

1 hour ago, Guod said:

Why go for the pro?  Yes it's worth a little extra but with this deal it's essentially 150 more.  Both can be hard wired...

My trim piece where my existing door bell is very narrow,  the ring 2 wouldn't look at good.

8 hours ago, baa said:

Amazon announced today that it would purchase WIFI mesh network provider Eero.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/11/amazon-acquires-wi-fi-mesh-network-startup-eero/

So, Amazon fleshes out its home mesh network offering.

Aint it nice, when, if you want something, you just buy it?

That is Amazon.  I see a lot of good things with the Ring alarm.  It's not as polished as Iris as far as integrating the whole smart home, but I see it moving that way especially being owned by Amazon.  

If anyone is interested Costco seems to have the best deal on extra sensors and motion detectors.  4 door/window sensors for 69$ and 2 motion detectors for 49$  

On 2/9/2019 at 4:00 PM, Dan87 said:

Got my Schlage BE469 touchscreen deadbolt unpaired from Iris, and paired with Ring in under 5 minutes.   The lock is MUCH more responsive on Ring.   When you hit Lock/Unlock in the app, the response is nearly instantaneous.  Iris was a several second delay.  There's also additional options for configuration I always wished Iris had, but they never implemented.  Like Disarming the alarm when a code is entered in to unlock the door.   I could see this being particularly helpful if you need someone to watch your house for you, and you don't want them to have to mess with the keypad to disarm the alarm.   They could easily unlock the door, which would disarm ring.  Then as soon as they leave, you could manually re-activate the alarm from the app. Love it! 

SChlage.PNG

Double checking .... did you have to in-pair the Schlage lock from Iris before it would allow you to pair ?   I’m a little reluctant to unpair until I’m ready to move on from Iris but I was curious to see if it was possible to have it paired to both.    

Is the process just pushing the Schlage button, entering the 6 digit original code then 0,  then the Ring app finds it ?   Didn’t work for me but I hadn’t removed it from Iris.  

You must unpair from Iris first.    Pairing to Ring took me less than 1 minute, literally!  It was a very smooth process for me.   The process for pairing it to RIng is identical to Iris.   I want to say the Ring app walked me through it also. 

The most beautiful part of Ring, every device that I've paired, I've been able to do from anywhere in my house.   Where Iris would want the device to be within 10 feet of the hub, so you'd have to either bring the device TO Iris, or get a super long network cord and carry the hub around the house.   The Ring hub is Wireless for one, but secondly, I haven't needed to bring devices anywhere near the hub for it to work. 

1 hour ago, Dan87 said:

You must unpair from Iris first.    Pairing to Ring took me less than 1 minute, literally!  It was a very smooth process for me.   The process for pairing it to RIng is identical to Iris.   I want to say the Ring app walked me through it also. 

I got it work.  

I agree, I generally it seems more responsive than Iris

Also you couldn’t add guest pins easy with Iris, (had to setup a user).   You can just add a guest pin piece of cake with ring.  I like that.  

4/5 times the lock works ... but occasionally when testing it again and again it just says failed to work.   I had the same issue with Iris with repeated use ... I just accepted it.  

For using it just once to arrive and once to leave it never failed.    Ever have that problem?

Honestly I rarely enter through the door that I have the deadbolt on.   We typically enter in through the garage when coming home.  The Schlage deadbolt is on the front door, mainly for guest/family use.  

49 minutes ago, Dan87 said:

Honestly I rarely enter through the door that I have the deadbolt on.   We typically enter in through the garage when coming home.  The Schlage deadbolt is on the front door, mainly for guest/family use.  

My usage sounds identical to yours... always enter through the garage and the Schlage is for guest.  That's what I'm saying that for my rare guest use, I never have a complaint...  but when I'm testing it again/again/again I see the issues.     If it works fine for guests I'm OK with it.

So just like the title of this thread, I've been researching the Ring for a few weeks.

Most of my comments have already been posted by others, but I thought I'd summarize my review of the system after 2 days.

I bought:

Ring Pro Doorbell 

Ring Alarm 

Overall App

I'm pretty impressed with the app.  It's very clean looking and quick.  The look changes a little from the Doorbell after you add the alarm... and again if you enable the clip preview function but I'm very happy with it.

From what I gather, Smart Things sounds like it has a ton of programming options, IRIS probably in the middle, and Ring has fewer... but for the most part the basic functions can do everything you need.  Like you can turn on alerts individually for each sensors, change the alarm entry/exit delay, etc.   It's hard pressed to think of something that's critical that you lose when going from IRIS to Ring for security.

Video history screen is pretty smooth.    Instead of showing large thumb nails like IRIS,  the history just shows motion, manually viewings, and doorbell presses in a list with a time stamp and when you click on each one then it plays the video.  

Security Hardware

The sensors are definitely larger than IRIS, but the contact sensors actually have a little light that pops up for a second when they open/close.  

The keypad  is vastly better than the IRIS V1 hub (I'm sure the V2 was better though)

It appears that it has an internal rechargeable battery and you mount a bracket to the wall and when you need to recharge it you just remove the keypad itself from the bracket, charge, and replace.

It has a motion sensor in it and if the battery saver feature is off,  when you walk up to it it lights up to confirm what mode it's in.  It looks pretty cool.

As mentioned earlier, the door "chirps" come from the hub not the keypad,  but even though it's in my basement I can still hear them.  Hopefully they add chirps to the keypad or a chime device in the future.

Security Software

Notifications are instant

I haven't seen this yet since I'm on the self monitored option so far,  but from my understanding you can switch from self to professionally monitored at any time.  That could potentially be useful for periods that you are home or think you could have a false alarm, vs times you are away and want no chance of the police showing up.   Huge feature if you ask me.

Little thing, but it's weird that after a motion detector sees motion, it seems like it takes a while for it to say no motion

You can tie the cameras to record off alarm... it says "entry delay and alarm event".   At first I didn't understand entry delay... but I think what it means is that if you enter your home and the 30 second countdown begins,  I think it immediately records and continues if the alarm goes off.  At first I thought this could me annoying if every day when I get home it records despite disarming immediately, but after thinking about it...  my older non wireless IRIS cameras would only record after the alarm goes off so in theory there's a dead spot with an intruder in my house.  (understand it could record off motion but I didn't want it recording non stop while I'm home)

I paired it with an Alexa skill and you can tell it to arm or disarm and then enter your 4 digit pin.  That's kind of cool, but I think it would still be quicker to enter the pin on the keypad.

Other Devices

As mentioned earlier, I paired my Schlage lock to it and it responds quicker and I like that you can add a guest code easily.

I'm likely going to buy a stick-up cam,  as I'm very impressed that you can easily toggle for motion alerts and record off motion,   or tie it to an alarm event

I'm going to buy the dome siren, smoke listener, and likely try out the $80 path lighting kit.  

Service Cost

I'm planning on subscribing to the $100/year plan which will give me professional alarm monitoring and unlimited camera storage.  I think that's a good deal.  It also gives you 10% off products so if I buy another $400 (Stick up cam, siren, more door sensors, etc.)  I figure to save $40 on hardware I was already going to buy

Wrap Up

In Summary,  I think the Ring system is the best fit for me for security and cameras.  Hardware cost and $100/year service plan seems really reasonable.

With Amazon's purchase or Ring, the Alexa eco system, and their recent purchase of Eero, planned release of Ring lighting products, and more... I expect this to be a rapidly growing eco system.  

I plan on getting a $65 Smart Things hub so my light switches, bulbs, thermostat, etc. will instantly work,   but in the future I'll play it by ear and see whether if new products get added to the Ring/Alexa or Smart things.

Speculating on the Future of Ring/Alexa

They're owned by the same company but as of now they're different apps/products.   I'm trying to figure out how they'll merge/integrate them together in the future.. but here's my guess...

I know you can pair some bulbs directly to the full size Echo speaker w/o a hub,  but to me the Alexa smart home app to me appears to be more of a compliment to an existing system (adding a voice assistant) than a primary ecosytem/app.

My guess....  Amazon will use the Ring brand and app to be their primary smart home app and after the outdoor lighting is released they will eventually start adding indoor lighting, etc. making it more like the IRIS ecosystem,  but allowing it to be tied in to Alexa for voice commands.

Think about it this way... we always wondered how IRIS or Wink makes any money and can be sustainable.   With Prime... they want as many people sucked into their $100+ a year subscription as possible.. last I saw it was over $4B a year in revenue.

They likely don't make money on their dots and they don't make money by allowing someone elses hardware to link via skill....  so that's why I think their ultimate plan is going to be to grow the Ring eco system to get everyone in America to have a Prime Subscription and a Ring Protect subscription.   

We'll see, but my theory is they will keep the Ring and "works with Alexa" products separate by branding but all Ring items will of course work with Alexa

Let me know if anyone has any questions,  but I strongly recommend picking up the $159 5 piece kit at best buy with a free echo dot as a low risk trial,  or the 10 piece kit for $200 at Costco.

2 hours ago, jeff909 said:

So just like the title of this thread, I've been researching the Ring for a few weeks.

Most of my comments have already been posted by others, but I thought I'd summarize my review of the system after 2 days.

I bought:

Ring Pro Doorbell 

Ring Alarm 

Overall App

I'm pretty impressed with the app.  It's very clean looking and quick.  The look changes a little from the Doorbell after you add the alarm... and again if you enable the clip preview function but I'm very happy with it.

From what I gather, Smart Things sounds like it has a ton of programming options, IRIS probably in the middle, and Ring has fewer... but for the most part the basic functions can do everything you need.  Like you can turn on alerts individually for each sensors, change the alarm entry/exit delay, etc.   It's hard pressed to think of something that's critical that you lose when going from IRIS to Ring for security.

Video history screen is pretty smooth.    Instead of showing large thumb nails like IRIS,  the history just shows motion, manually viewings, and doorbell presses in a list with a time stamp and when you click on each one then it plays the video.  

Security Hardware

The sensors are definitely larger than IRIS, but the contact sensors actually have a little light that pops up for a second when they open/close.  

The keypad  is vastly better than the IRIS V1 hub (I'm sure the V2 was better though)

It appears that it has an internal rechargeable battery and you mount a bracket to the wall and when you need to recharge it you just remove the keypad itself from the bracket, charge, and replace.

It has a motion sensor in it and if the battery saver feature is off,  when you walk up to it it lights up to confirm what mode it's in.  It looks pretty cool.

As mentioned earlier, the door "chirps" come from the hub not the keypad,  but even though it's in my basement I can still hear them.  Hopefully they add chirps to the keypad or a chime device in the future.

Security Software

Notifications are instant

I haven't seen this yet since I'm on the self monitored option so far,  but from my understanding you can switch from self to professionally monitored at any time.  That could potentially be useful for periods that you are home or think you could have a false alarm, vs times you are away and want no chance of the police showing up.   Huge feature if you ask me.

Little thing, but it's weird that after a motion detector sees motion, it seems like it takes a while for it to say no motion

You can tie the cameras to record off alarm... it says "entry delay and alarm event".   At first I didn't understand entry delay... but I think what it means is that if you enter your home and the 30 second countdown begins,  I think it immediately records and continues if the alarm goes off.  At first I thought this could me annoying if every day when I get home it records despite disarming immediately, but after thinking about it...  my older non wireless IRIS cameras would only record after the alarm goes off so in theory there's a dead spot with an intruder in my house.  (understand it could record off motion but I didn't want it recording non stop while I'm home)

I paired it with an Alexa skill and you can tell it to arm or disarm and then enter your 4 digit pin.  That's kind of cool, but I think it would still be quicker to enter the pin on the keypad.

Other Devices

As mentioned earlier, I paired my Schlage lock to it and it responds quicker and I like that you can add a guest code easily.

I'm likely going to buy a stick-up cam,  as I'm very impressed that you can easily toggle for motion alerts and record off motion,   or tie it to an alarm event

I'm going to buy the dome siren, smoke listener, and likely try out the $80 path lighting kit.  

Service Cost

I'm planning on subscribing to the $100/year plan which will give me professional alarm monitoring and unlimited camera storage.  I think that's a good deal.  It also gives you 10% off products so if I buy another $400 (Stick up cam, siren, more door sensors, etc.)  I figure to save $40 on hardware I was already going to buy

Wrap Up

In Summary,  I think the Ring system is the best fit for me for security and cameras.  Hardware cost and $100/year service plan seems really reasonable.

With Amazon's purchase or Ring, the Alexa eco system, and their recent purchase of Eero, planned release of Ring lighting products, and more... I expect this to be a rapidly growing eco system.  

I plan on getting a $65 Smart Things hub so my light switches, bulbs, thermostat, etc. will instantly work,   but in the future I'll play it by ear and see whether if new products get added to the Ring/Alexa or Smart things.

Speculating on the Future of Ring/Alexa

They're owned by the same company but as of now they're different apps/products.   I'm trying to figure out how they'll merge/integrate them together in the future.. but here's my guess...

I know you can pair some bulbs directly to the full size Echo speaker w/o a hub,  but to me the Alexa smart home app to me appears to be more of a compliment to an existing system (adding a voice assistant) than a primary ecosytem/app.

My guess....  Amazon will use the Ring brand and app to be their primary smart home app and after the outdoor lighting is released they will eventually start adding indoor lighting, etc. making it more like the IRIS ecosystem,  but allowing it to be tied in to Alexa for voice commands.

Think about it this way... we always wondered how IRIS or Wink makes any money and can be sustainable.   With Prime... they want as many people sucked into their $100+ a year subscription as possible.. last I saw it was over $4B a year in revenue.

They likely don't make money on their dots and they don't make money by allowing someone elses hardware to link via skill....  so that's why I think their ultimate plan is going to be to grow the Ring eco system to get everyone in America to have a Prime Subscription and a Ring Protect subscription.   

We'll see, but my theory is they will keep the Ring and "works with Alexa" products separate by branding but all Ring items will of course work with Alexa

Let me know if anyone has any questions,  but I strongly recommend picking up the $159 5 piece kit at best buy with a free echo dot as a low risk trial,  or the 10 piece kit for $200 at Costco.

Nice review.  Thanks for that.

I would add, re the branding:

Costco WILL NOT carry Amazon products, as they are a direct competitor.  You can find all the Google products and Nest products there, but not an Amazon Echo in sight.  

However, they have very good pricing on Ring.  Branding.  Go figure...

I set up the Ring security last weekend.  I use it the same way we used Iris, local only, no cameras, just 11 door/windows 3 keypads, which I really like, and the motion sensor and the range extender.  The sensors are a little bigger, but in a few places, where I had tight space, I used the skinny Iris V1 magnet, instead of the Ring magnet, and it worked just fine. 

The system is very responsive, but Iris was also. 

My only home automation is a few smart plugs controlled by Alexa, so my needs are minimal, and I am happy with the setup.

19 hours ago, Princeau99 said:

Just one question about the Alexa connections, can the ring contact sensors trigger an Alexa routine? I.E. System not armed, door opened, Alexa "The King is home" (instead of a chirp)

Interesting question. You would think, given that amazon owns both, that the contact sensors would be seen by alexa... If they are, they could probably be used to trigger a routine... 
I would love to know the answer to this question as well!

I just checked.  The Ring contact sensors don't show up to start a routine.

I did find that you can have a Ring doorbell sound a chime on Alexa devices.  This will save me from having to add the Ring Chime to my overloaded Ring cart.

There is a fair amount available about Ring Doorbell integration with IFTTT.  Here are some links:

https://ifttt.com/ring

https://blog.ring.com/2016/02/24/18-recipes-to-keep-your-home-secure-with-ring-ifttt/

These appear to be available for the doorbell cameras, not yet for the alarm system.

I have integrated the alarm with Alexa, in as much as I can arm the system verbally (i added a "skill" for this), and have it "announce" when there is someone at the door or motion at the door is detected.  There are switches for this in the mobile Alexa smartphone app, under the doorbell device settings.

Hope this helps.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:53 AM, Smitho said:

Interesting question. You would think, given that amazon owns both, that the contact sensors would be seen by alexa... If they are, they could probably be used to trigger a routine... 
I would love to know the answer to this question as well!

No is the best answer.  Seems as though the ring alarm is sandboxed.  The only integration is with Alexa to turn the alarm on.  

I got all my ring stuff this weekend. Everything is hooked up except for my video doorbell.
So far I'm really pleased, except for the lack of integration with other systems.
Hopefully this will come in the future.

I got the alarm system with 17 contact sensors, 2 motion sensors, and 2 keypads, a ring pro doorbell, a stick up cam, and a flood light cam.
Everything seems pretty high quality. I will say I was turned off by the ring alarm display at Best Buy... I felt the buttons on the keypad and it felt REALLY cheap and plasticy. The buttons didn't even really seem to move when you pressed them. I went ahead with the purchase anyway and I'm glad I did. The keypads I got were NOTHING like what was on display... they feel really nice (much better than the V1 keypads I had with iris).  The only issue I had was a defective keypad, but calling support wasn't a painful event. I was on hold maybe 30 seconds and got an american who spoke ENGLISH! He went through several steps to troubleshoot the problem and determined the keypad was defective. I was informed I would receive a replacement keypad in about 2-3 business days. 

For the ring pro, I'm still waiting for my plug in power adapter. I opted for the pro (It was $50 off and also came with a free echo dot this weekend) even though I don't have an existing doorbell. I plan to run the wiring behind my vinyl siding and through a window that has a receptacle right under it. From everything I have seen the ring pro and elite are the best performing versions (and I didn't wan't to drop $500 on the elite).

Once I get my doorbell installed I'll do a separate post with my observations about the system. There are a lot of things I like about it, and a few nitpicks I have... Overall I'm pretty satisfied, and all the little gripes I have are somewhat minor but things that could be corrected with software updates.

I was just about to pull the trigger on Ring for security until I found out that Ring is planning on much smaller contact sensors than the ones they are now selling.

The large size of the contact sensors has been a turn off for many and give some people problems on their double hung windows. I sure don't want to buy 15 (LARGE) contact sensors & get them installed and then

Ring launches their slimmer style ones. I think I'll wait and see what happens in the next few months before I bite bullet on Ring as I have Wink & ST for HA--only want Ring for security.

mojo2600