Researching the Ring.
4 4

87 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, thejq said:

No, not if you only get the 10 piece. You need to buy the Ring Video 2 combo for $149.99 which comes with 1-yr cloud service and ONLY from COSTCO, but with the additional 10 piece security system, the bonus becomes 1-yr prof monitored service. So you have to buy both combos (from COSTCO) to get the $100/yr bonus. Since I was going to get the Ring security service any way to reduce my home insurance, it's a no brainer for me to go this way.

Ok thanks for the clarification.  

Id like to maximize the savings but honestly with my door the Pro would look a lot better than the 2 so I don’t mind paying a little more.  

My strategy instead of Costco...

1.  Buy the Pro doorbell at Best Buy w/ free Echo Dot for $199.  (Website says Dot 2nd gen but display said 3rd gen in store)

2.  Install and sign up for $100/year service.  

3.   One benefit of the Pro service is a 10% discount on Ring hardware.   I plan on buying the stick up cam, Siren, flood sensor , etc, anyhow so the 10% over those items would be nice.   Note:  the Pro Dell Bell  isn’t eligible for the 10%.

I’m mildly interested in the $80 path lighting 2 pack with a hub too.  

1 hour ago, jeff909 said:

Ok thanks for the clarification.  

Id like to maximize the savings but honestly with my door the Pro would look a lot better than the 2 so I don’t mind paying a little more.  

My strategy instead of Costco...

1.  Buy the Pro doorbell at Best Buy w/ free Echo Dot for $199.  (Website says Dot 2nd gen but display said 3rd gen in store)

2.  Install and sign up for $100/year service.  

3.   One benefit of the Pro service is a 10% discount on Ring hardware.   I plan on buying the stick up cam, Siren, flood sensor , etc, anyhow so the 10% over those items would be nice.   Note:  the Pro Dell Bell  isn’t eligible for the 10%.

I’m mildly interested in the $80 path lighting 2 pack with a hub too.  

Why go for the pro?  Yes it's worth a little extra but with this deal it's essentially 150 more.  Both can be hard wired...

1 hour ago, Guod said:

Why go for the pro?  Yes it's worth a little extra but with this deal it's essentially 150 more.  Both can be hard wired...

My trim piece where my existing door bell is very narrow,  the ring 2 wouldn't look at good.

8 hours ago, baa said:

Amazon announced today that it would purchase WIFI mesh network provider Eero.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/11/amazon-acquires-wi-fi-mesh-network-startup-eero/

So, Amazon fleshes out its home mesh network offering.

Aint it nice, when, if you want something, you just buy it?

That is Amazon.  I see a lot of good things with the Ring alarm.  It's not as polished as Iris as far as integrating the whole smart home, but I see it moving that way especially being owned by Amazon.  

On 2/9/2019 at 4:00 PM, Dan87 said:

Got my Schlage BE469 touchscreen deadbolt unpaired from Iris, and paired with Ring in under 5 minutes.   The lock is MUCH more responsive on Ring.   When you hit Lock/Unlock in the app, the response is nearly instantaneous.  Iris was a several second delay.  There's also additional options for configuration I always wished Iris had, but they never implemented.  Like Disarming the alarm when a code is entered in to unlock the door.   I could see this being particularly helpful if you need someone to watch your house for you, and you don't want them to have to mess with the keypad to disarm the alarm.   They could easily unlock the door, which would disarm ring.  Then as soon as they leave, you could manually re-activate the alarm from the app. Love it! 

SChlage.PNG

Double checking .... did you have to in-pair the Schlage lock from Iris before it would allow you to pair ?   I’m a little reluctant to unpair until I’m ready to move on from Iris but I was curious to see if it was possible to have it paired to both.    

Is the process just pushing the Schlage button, entering the 6 digit original code then 0,  then the Ring app finds it ?   Didn’t work for me but I hadn’t removed it from Iris.  

You must unpair from Iris first.    Pairing to Ring took me less than 1 minute, literally!  It was a very smooth process for me.   The process for pairing it to RIng is identical to Iris.   I want to say the Ring app walked me through it also. 

The most beautiful part of Ring, every device that I've paired, I've been able to do from anywhere in my house.   Where Iris would want the device to be within 10 feet of the hub, so you'd have to either bring the device TO Iris, or get a super long network cord and carry the hub around the house.   The Ring hub is Wireless for one, but secondly, I haven't needed to bring devices anywhere near the hub for it to work. 

1 hour ago, Dan87 said:

You must unpair from Iris first.    Pairing to Ring took me less than 1 minute, literally!  It was a very smooth process for me.   The process for pairing it to RIng is identical to Iris.   I want to say the Ring app walked me through it also. 

I got it work.  

I agree, I generally it seems more responsive than Iris

Also you couldn’t add guest pins easy with Iris, (had to setup a user).   You can just add a guest pin piece of cake with ring.  I like that.  

4/5 times the lock works ... but occasionally when testing it again and again it just says failed to work.   I had the same issue with Iris with repeated use ... I just accepted it.  

For using it just once to arrive and once to leave it never failed.    Ever have that problem?

Honestly I rarely enter through the door that I have the deadbolt on.   We typically enter in through the garage when coming home.  The Schlage deadbolt is on the front door, mainly for guest/family use.  

49 minutes ago, Dan87 said:

Honestly I rarely enter through the door that I have the deadbolt on.   We typically enter in through the garage when coming home.  The Schlage deadbolt is on the front door, mainly for guest/family use.  

My usage sounds identical to yours... always enter through the garage and the Schlage is for guest.  That's what I'm saying that for my rare guest use, I never have a complaint...  but when I'm testing it again/again/again I see the issues.     If it works fine for guests I'm OK with it.