Researching the Ring.
4 4

130 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, mojo2600 said:

I was just about to pull the trigger on Ring for security until I found out that Ring is planning on much smaller contact sensors than the ones they are now selling.

The large size of the contact sensors has been a turn off for many and give some people problems on their double hung windows. I sure don't want to buy 15 (LARGE) contact sensors & get them installed and then

Ring launches their slimmer style ones. I think I'll wait and see what happens in the next few months before I bite bullet on Ring as I have Wink & ST for HA--only want Ring for security.

mojo2600

Where did you see that they will be coming out with new sensors ?   I think the motion ones are the worst ... they’re huge.   I bought 3 of each, and would consider returning if they could be out soon.  

23 hours ago, Guod said:

No is the best answer.  Seems as though the ring alarm is sandboxed.  The only integration is with Alexa to turn the alarm on.  

To expand on that a bit, I added an Alexa skill to allow Alexa to turn on the alarm.

My Ring Pro Doorbell Camera also shows in the Alexa app as a seperate device.  Through the app I enabled Alexa to notify me when there is "Motion at the front door" or "Someone is at the front door" (doorbell press).  This is quite helpful as I have several Echo Dots throughout the house, and they all give the notification.

I am told with the Echo Show you can ask Alexa to display the front door, and perhaps speak with the front door.  For that, I currently use the Ring app on my smart phone.  Very helpful, as I was able to speak with the person delivering the Iris refund, and have them wait for me to come down and sign <grin!>.

Other tidbits:  Amazon has some smart plugs on sale that are supposed to work with Alexa or Google, when bought in a 4 pack with cupon work out to $7.59 each.  Link is here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVH7WPD?tag=b0c55-20

22 minutes ago, jeff909 said:

Where did you see that they will be coming out with new sensors ?   I think the motion ones are the worst ... they’re huge.   I bought 3 of each, and would consider returning if they could be out soon.  

Same here where is it posted about the new sensor? I’ll return mine. 

22 minutes ago, Irisuser01 said:

Same here where is it posted about the new sensor? I’ll return mine. 

I've looked around and can't seem to find anything.  The sensors are larger but they are not ugliest if that makes any sense.  I have impact windows so I have sufficient space to place the sensors around the window.  The alarm system is not even a year old and functions better, as an alarm, than Iris ever did.  

5 hours ago, mojo2600 said:

I found out that Ring is planning on much smaller contact sensors than the ones they are now selling.

The large size of the contact sensors has been a turn off for many and give some people problems on their double hung windows. I sure don't want to buy 15 (LARGE) contact sensors & get them installed and then

Ring launches their slimmer style ones.

I'm also curious where you got this info...
I just installed 17 contact sensors this weekend and, if there were smaller ones coming out, I would have waited on them.
It wasn't too much of a problem on my windows, but the magnets were just too for my door frames... On my front door I ended up keeping the iris magnet attached and it seemed to work fine. On the other doors I ended up with a pretty big gap between the sensor and the magnet, but it seems to work reliably.

5 minutes ago, Guod said:

The alarm system is not even a year old and functions better, as an alarm, than Iris ever did.  

I will agree with this, except that I never had to remember to set my iris alarm...
At 1AM every night it armed in stay mode automatically, and if all the keyfobs ever left the house it would arm in away mode.
This morning I woke up realizing our alarm was never armed before going to bed, and yesterday my family had been away from home for about 3 hours before I realized no one set the alarm.

This is going to take some getting used to!
Hopefully there are more features coming in the future to address these concerns.

28 minutes ago, Irisuser01 said:

Remember to contact ring and suggest these changes! I’ve submitted mine mostly for iOS using Siri shortcuts and Apple Watch app. 

Would love ive to see geofencing but I think I read somewhere they won’t becuse security concerns 

I've looked and I cant find anywhere on their website you submit feature requests.

The geofencing limitation is stupid. Most intruders are simple smash and grab situations... I think it would be much more likely that you forget to arm your alarm and someone breaks in than someone steals your phone, hopes you don't realize it, and then goes to your address to break in. If a criminal put that much thought into it, they could just as easily camp out somewhere near your home and listen for you to verbally give alexa your pin number to disarm the alarm, or watch from across the street with binoculars while you enter a code on a smart lock keypad... but ring didn't seem to worried about those "security concerns".

For that matter, enable geofencing for arming only, but not for disarming... still stupid, but at least it would address both concerns.

1 hour ago, Smitho said:

I will agree with this, except that I never had to remember to set my iris alarm...
At 1AM every night it armed in stay mode automatically, and if all the keyfobs ever left the house it would arm in away mode.
This morning I woke up realizing our alarm was never armed before going to bed, and yesterday my family had been away from home for about 3 hours before I realized no one set the alarm.

This is going to take some getting used to!
Hopefully there are more features coming in the future to address these concerns.

I asked on twitter about alarm scheduling and geofencing.  The standard answer, of "we are not planning on adding those features at this time but we may in the future".  I did enjoy the feature of Iris, I just never fully trusted the alarm system.  Hopefully, if enough people ask they will add these features.  

5 minutes ago, Guod said:

I asked on twitter about alarm scheduling and geofencing.  The standard answer, of "we are not planning on adding those features at this time but we may in the future".  I did enjoy the feature of Iris, I just never fully trusted the alarm system.  Hopefully, if enough people ask they will add these features.  

I can understand the concern regarding geofencing.  Someone could steal your phone from your desk and even without unlocking the phone have your alarm disabled by sitting in the driveway.   

I think having a key fob would be the easy solution.  Whether it works by pinging the hub or if you have to press a button it would still be an improvement. 

Simplisafe has a Fob and Samsung has an arrival sensor as well

13 minutes ago, jeff909 said:

I can understand the concern regarding geofencing.  Someone could steal your phone from your desk and even without unlocking the phone have your alarm disabled by sitting in the driveway.   

I think having a key fob would be the easy solution.  Whether it works by pinging the hub or if you have to press a button it would still be an improvement. 

I understand not allowing geofencing or a FOB to disarm the alarm.  Actually, I would be fine with disarming the alarm on the keypad 99% of the time.  But, they should allow a schedule and geofencing to arm the alarm.  

1 hour ago, jeff909 said:

Whether they steal a phone, or a keyfob, the result is the same.
Only difference is they probably don't know that the phone is used to disarm an alarm system... However, the keyfob might be pretty obvious in what the purpose is.
Again, what percentage of intrusions have this much forethought... if they are that determined to break in your home they are going to find a way no matter what..
The most likely scenario is that a drug addict notices you aren't home, breaks a window and grabs a couple valuable things before running off... Very rarely is there that much planning that goes into a burglary.
This would be an OPTIONAL FEATURE...  Just like their HIGHLY INSECURE logic to allow disarming by verbally stating your pin number, or someone watching you while you enter a pin on your lock keypad which disarms your alarm.
Both of these features are OPTIONAL, and it's implied that it could be a security risk if you enable them.

To me its a bit silly that they allow you to verbally say your pin number out loud to disarm, but think geofencing is "insecure". 
Like Guod said, if it really was about security they would allow you to arm, but not disarm via geofence... Personally, I think they just don't want to invest the R&D in that particular feature set right now.
I came VERY CLOSE to going with another solution because of this... I'm hoping they at some point see that this is a feature that may sell some people on the product and reverse their stance in the future.

5 hours ago, Smitho said:

I've looked and I cant find anywhere on their website you submit feature requests.

The geofencing limitation is stupid. Most intruders are simple smash and grab situations... I think it would be much more likely that you forget to arm your alarm and someone breaks in than someone steals your phone, hopes you don't realize it, and then goes to your address to break in. If a criminal put that much thought into it, they could just as easily camp out somewhere near your home and listen for you to verbally give alexa your pin number to disarm the alarm, or watch from across the street with binoculars while you enter a code on a smart lock keypad... but ring didn't seem to worried about those "security concerns".

For that matter, enable geofencing for arming only, but not for disarming... still stupid, but at least it would address both concerns.

I send them an email using the support page. 

17 hours ago, Smitho said:

Whether they steal a phone, or a keyfob, the result is the same.
Only difference is they probably don't know that the phone is used to disarm an alarm system... However, the keyfob might be pretty obvious in what the purpose is.
Again, what percentage of intrusions have this much forethought... if they are that determined to break in your home they are going to find a way no matter what..
The most likely scenario is that a drug addict notices you aren't home, breaks a window and grabs a couple valuable things before running off... Very rarely is there that much planning that goes into a burglary.
This would be an OPTIONAL FEATURE...  Just like their HIGHLY INSECURE logic to allow disarming by verbally stating your pin number, or someone watching you while you enter a pin on your lock keypad which disarms your alarm.
Both of these features are OPTIONAL, and it's implied that it could be a security risk if you enable them.

To me its a bit silly that they allow you to verbally say your pin number out loud to disarm, but think geofencing is "insecure". 
Like Guod said, if it really was about security they would allow you to arm, but not disarm via geofence... Personally, I think they just don't want to invest the R&D in that particular feature set right now.
I came VERY CLOSE to going with another solution because of this... I'm hoping they at some point see that this is a feature that may sell some people on the product and reverse their stance in the future.

Yes, I'm in the same boat.  I was very close to returning the system I just don't see a viable alternative that has the potential of Ring.  Also,  I highly doubt R&D is the problem.  You are talking about a couple lines of code to add schedules.  Geofencing already exist so it's not like it would be a huge investment.  

45 minutes ago, Guod said:

Yes, I'm in the same boat.  I was very close to returning the system I just don't see a viable alternative that has the potential of Ring.  Also,  I highly doubt R&D is the problem.  You are talking about a couple lines of code to add schedules.  Geofencing already exist so it's not like it would be a huge investment.  

Click this link to get to the support page! Ask how to set it up. Let them know you will return

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406-Contact-Community-Support-Worldwide#

I just did. Geofencing would be awesome. There is no reason not to.

image.png.79290d92f1876cfad497cb94cd42655c.png

On 2/25/2019 at 12:35 PM, Smitho said:

I'm also curious where you got this info...
I just installed 17 contact sensors this weekend and, if there were smaller ones coming out, I would have waited on them.
It wasn't too much of a problem on my windows, but the magnets were just too for my door frames... On my front door I ended up keeping the iris magnet attached and it seemed to work fine. On the other doors I ended up with a pretty big gap between the sensor and the magnet, but it seems to work reliably.

In researching the Ring Security System I came across a review from a user that gave it a 1 star rating due to size of the sensors, problems with them on double hung windows, etc and also about Ring not having a duress code. In his original review from Oct. 7, 2018 he complains about theses features of Ring....he then comes back on January 5, 2019 and posts an update to his original review as he felt it needed updating as he was contacted/told by Ring Support about them working on new slimmer contacts, a few other features, etc. Just no exact date given by Ring on when these will release.

I myself am holding off on Ring for security for a while. I hate having ugly door sensors on my doors--especially the big ones from Ring--they could have done a much better design for initial launch than what they did. The NYCE door hinge sensors really spoiled me!

Read the review of a guy named "Kyle" on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Professional-Monitoring-contracts/dp/B07D7Q6CHB#customerReviews

Good luck to you guys....I'll just wait a while for the dust to settle on a post-Iris / life without Iris before I make a final decision...I'm still waiting on Iris money from 2 accounts so I don't have any money burning a hole in my pocket just yet. :) Heck I haven't even gotten an email from them or anything.

mojo2600

They do have a lot of the new devices he talks about now...

https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-flood-and-freeze-sensor

https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-smoke-co-listener

https://shop.ring.com/products/dome-siren

https://shop.ring.com/products/panic-button

I can't speak for them or the alarm but I do like the camera's.

Iris Who?

Spent an hour and some minutes on the phone with support with basic pairing issues. Never could get anything to connect. 

Hung up the phone. Went to z wave network settings for the hub and reset that. I was then able to pair all the devices. 

Anyway. Here is the set up I got 

And here is a Picture of an Iris V1 contact sensor verses ring.

the ring contact sensors are HUGE 

C9331032-D2C9-4ED1-8CFB-D6DEA34FEC49.jpeg

75B19753-5802-4085-9421-417649ED75D5.jpeg

830AFC85-A743-4AC1-BE8C-424BCFB86161.jpeg

2 hours ago, Irisuser01 said:

Spent an hour and some minutes on the phone with support with basic pairing issues. Never could get anything to connect. 

Hung up the phone. Went to z wave network settings for the hub and reset that. I was then able to pair all the devices. 

Anyway. Here is the set up I got 

And here is a Picture of an Iris V1 contact sensor verses ring.

the ring contact sensors are HUGE 

C9331032-D2C9-4ED1-8CFB-D6DEA34FEC49.jpeg

75B19753-5802-4085-9421-417649ED75D5.jpeg

830AFC85-A743-4AC1-BE8C-424BCFB86161.jpeg

Thanks for the info and pics.  I am ordering a Hubitat hub today, but was considering Ring Security without monitoring if I can't get Hubitat doing what I need in a few days.  The pics are helpful to plan ahead.

Anyone know what these are?3db089b39933cc99a06683a8ccf258a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ZBMAN said:

Not the same item number. Also, it is 6 pack for 99$. Could these be the new smaller version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting....they are also called “protect” contact sensors, which is language I’ve never seen anywhere else...