Emotional farewell to what we've lost

13 posts in this topic

As I am looking at the replacement alternatives, I'm confirming what I have already known for awhile. Despite some deficiencies and annoyances, we had it really good with IRIS, and we are unlikely to find anything that can replace it. What it offered on the combination of features, I doubt any other system can match:

- Solid set of security features that made it reliable and usable
- Not the best, but very decent home automation capabilities
- Support for numerous third-party devices and expandability with Z-wave/Zigbee standards
- Most affordable. Free self monitoring and automation plan, and cheapest professional monitoring plan on the market (with cellular included!)
- Low priced sensors, and even better on Lowes clearance
- Aesthetics, or the cuteness factor. The core devices (keypad, contact, motions sensors) are small, compact, and cute looking. The motion sensors are especially nice - I hardly noticed those little buttons on my walls.
- Hub has low power consumption (may seem like an irrelevant technicality, but super important for adequate battery backup)
- Backed up by the big reliable Lowes and an extra bonus of being able to walk into any Lowe’s store to touch, buy, and return stuff without the hassles and waits of shipping (strike out reliable as of Jan 30)

I haven't finished looking around, but I'm getting a sense other DIY offerings just don't measure up on the overall combination of features. SmartThings excels on automation, but has half-baked unreliable security.  Abode is solid on security and free self-monitoring, but you better stick with its proprietary sensors, which are expensive and bulky in size (the motion sensor is especially ugly compared to IRIS'), and automation is still inadequate. SimpliSafe is good on security, but it's a closed system with no Z-wave support, and you can't get self-monitoring unless you pay police monitoring first, and then add self-monitoring on top of that, and pay a lot each month for the whole package, while many of us don't need pro monitoring all the time. Ring is promising, affordable, and cute, but seems like No Zwave expandability (I take that back, it's a Zwave system, albeit with constraints), but no automation at all, bulky sensors, and still long way from being a proven solution. Haven't looked at Vera and Wink, but having low expectations at this point.

I doubt you will find another winner combination that IRIS had. Which brings me to the emotional point:
SHAME on you Lowes, for botching this excellent product. It’s must be either indifference or marketing incompetence on the part of the executives, because IRIS had everything it needed to take off big. Just look at the SimpliSafe aggressive marketing campaign - being inferior to IRIS, it already achieved a large market presence. I see SimpliSafe TV commercials all the time - when was the last time you saw an IRIS ad? SHAME on you Lowes, you let down your customers who recognized the strength of the platform and invested in it in hopes of using this system for a long time. SHAME on you Lowes, this outcome is a disrespect and disservice to your own IRIS engineering team that developed a technically solid product, which you failed to advance.

Peace out. I'm off to bed to dream that a pack of renegade former IRIS engineers dressed in hero consumes would pick up the source code and restart the whole cloud platform under a different name (ah, sweet dreams)

13 hours ago, virtu789 said:

Peace out. I'm off to bed to dream that a pack of renegade former IRIS engineers dressed in hero consumes would pick up the source code and restart the whole cloud platform under a different name (ah, sweet dreams)

I think that this is going to happen, except it is going to be a mix of former IRIS engineers and other talented people.

23 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

I think that this is going to happen, except it is going to be a mix of former IRIS engineers and other talented people.

Except you’ll never get professional monitoring on an open source project. That will require a company to create a commercial product out of it again. That’s not something likely to happen. And that’s where the real loss is. 

On 2/4/2019 at 3:03 AM, virtu789 said:

As I am looking at the replacement alternatives, I'm confirming what I have already known for awhile. Despite some deficiencies and annoyances, we had it really good with IRIS, and we are unlikely to find anything that can replace it. What it offered on the combination of features, I doubt any other system can match:

- Solid set of security features that made it reliable and usable
- Not the best, but very decent home automation capabilities
- Support for numerous third-party devices and expandability with Z-wave/Zigbee standards
-

Iris had some of the worst automation capabilities on the market.  Once you start exploring what other systems can do you’ll quickly see this. 

Iris also did not support very many devices outside of their own ecosystem. Again you will be amazed once see what the alternatives support. 

These two factors severely crippled the success of the platform. It wasn’t just poor marketing as many think. 

Yes IRIS did not excel on the features you mentioned, but it excelled on the overall integration/combination of multiple features in a single offering, with solid security in the foundation, which together would satisfy the majority of average and moderately advanced consumers on the market.  Again, look at the SimpliSafe - inferior to IRIS but they're doing quite well because of the marketing.

22 hours ago, IrisUsers said:

Except you’ll never get professional monitoring on an open source project. That will require a company to create a commercial product out of it again. That’s not something likely to happen. And that’s where the real loss is. 

Iris had some of the worst automation capabilities on the market.  Once you start exploring what other systems can do you’ll quickly see this. 

Iris also did not support very many devices outside of their own ecosystem. Again you will be amazed once see what the alternatives support. 

These two factors severely crippled the success of the platform. It wasn’t just poor marketing as many think. 

While this is true, I was happy with Smart Things after I migrated everything over, replacing what I had to, and recreating my rules. I was tickled just to see that you could program a ST button for 3 different rules (press, double press, and press-hold) so I didn't need as many buttons as before but was happy just to have the same rules I had in Iris moved over...

...  but damn that flaky security is an issue for me.  Still fighting with it after almost a week trying to get it to behave even somewhat predictably... I'll piece something together that will work I'm sure but it's a pain in the tuckas and doesn't seem like it's going to be as effortless as the security provided by Iris.

I also could not find a system that gave a solid combination of automation and security as Iris had.  Iris had it's limitations, but they did make a good effort to give everything in one package.  I ended up going with SmartThings for my home automation and Ring for Security.  I have to give a big thumbs up to Ring for security.  I already paid the Ring $100/yr plan for my security cameras and I found that full professional monitoring as well as built in cellular backup is included with in the same $100 plan I already had.  For security I now have a much better system with professional monitoring and cellular backup and have saved the $10/month I was paying for Iris.  I've read that Ring has included a lot of capability in the hub for future expansion into automation which they have not activated or limited, so if they do move into home automation I can always migrate from SmartThings if I choose.  

I too was really happy with the Iris system and the fact the security functionality was wife-approved, and she had even grown to appreciate the automation.  She is more anxious about migrating than I am, as Iris was easy for her to arm and disarm, and the door alerts gave her peace of mind with her hearing loss.

I don't need professional monitoring (response time would be longer than leaving work and going home, or checking cameras and making my own call), but alerts are important.  My security cameras are old POE units that I want to upgrade, but I have 8 cameras, so integration there is last thought.  I'm hoping to not have to do three systems to meet the my needs (including cameras), but we'll see.

Don't know if anyone else feels this way but it's a little interesting how many people over the years came to this forum to bash IRIS and complain and say they're switching to another company.

Now that IRIS is shutting down and it seems the consciences is that there isn't a company to switch to for a complete equal / on-par all-in-one system.

I personally have always been on board since 2014 that this was the best system out there and regardless of the new costs / gift cards issued,  I'm personally going to be very sad because at least at first it appears I'm going to be losing a product I've grown to rely on.

Will miss you IRIS....

14 minutes ago, jeff909 said:

Don't know if anyone else feels this way but it's a little interesting how many people over the years came to this forum to bash IRIS and complain and say they're switching to another company.

Now that IRIS is shutting down and it seems the consciences is that there isn't a company to switch to for a complete equal / on-par all-in-one system.

I personally have always been on board since 2014 that this was the best system out there and regardless of the new costs / gift cards issued,  I'm personally going to be very sad because at least at first it appears I'm going to be losing a product I've grown to rely on.

Will miss you IRIS....

I whole heartedly agree.  Although, I wavered a time or two.  I researched a ton before choosing Iris, and I am researching on my way out.  There is nothing that really covers all aspects like Iris.  Some cover certain areas better, but lack in others  I will definitely miss the platform, as well as the people here that have helped me out more than once.

On 2/4/2019 at 4:20 PM, Otto Mation said:

I have no doubt the software part is doable by a few enthusiasts.  But to keep the platform alive, people will need new and replacement hardware, starting with essentials: hubs, keypads, contact and motion sensors.  Restarting the hardware production line will require capital investment and going commercial. 

22 minutes ago, virtu789 said:

I have no doubt the software part is doable by a few enthusiasts.  But to keep the platform alive, people will need new and replacement hardware, starting with essentials: hubs, keypads, contact and motion sensors.  Restarting the hardware production line will require capital investment and going commercial. 

The point here is to make use of existing V1 hardware as well as being compatible with all other existing hardware.  No one will be limited to original Iris V1 gear.  Hubs, well there will be thousands of them around and admissibly may become an issue but there may be a Raspberry Pi solution.  Most importantly the developers from other hubs can pull from the open source library released by Iris to expand their compatibility.