Things I am planning for Arcus

6 posts in this topic

With the Iris code going Open Source I am planning on building this into Arcus (NOTE other people will have the code and they can build/add what they want with it)

• Smart room building - Like what Google does where if devices have "Master Bedroom" in the name it will be added to the "Master Bedroom" group/room/scene
  • Ghost Mode - Like in a car racing game your system will remember when devices turn on and off. When you enter "Ghost Mode" it will seem like your home due to devices going on and off.
  • S.H.A.N.E. - This is a AI that works with your home to make it truly smart and not just a home of rules and timers.
  • Smart rules engine - It will see devices how you use a device and tell you better rules for them. 
  • IFTTT  and Stringify and Webhooks
  • SMS support - I know many people miss this and still want it. This will be done on in a plugin way. EX: You get a twilio account and you pay twilio to be the SMS service and arcus just talks to twilio.
  • Camera support -  This will be like SMS support where you buy a service to keep all of your videos and arcus will just talk to it.

This sounds great. I plan on waiting to make a decision for awhile and see what comes of this. I have 5 indoor/outdoor cameras and I liked how iris handled everything for me. As all in one app or service. I do like the sms service. Hopefully I can keep all my iris equipment in place with this. 

I purchased gen 1 hub and devices and never upgraded to later devices except for 2 WiFi smart plugs.  I was quite happy with my system.  I am making out ok with the refund. Enough so to get a new hub (probably the latest smartthings hub) and at least the minimum number of door and motion detectors and maybe have enough leftover for a trip to McDonald’s.

As I have bunch of these gen 1 sensors I would love to see a way to reprogram my gen 1 hub to act as some kind of bridge to another system. I.e., repeating the zigbee event as something recognizable by another system or translating it to a WiFi event.  I am not familiar enough with the hardware or protocols to know if that is reasonable but it seems like it should be fairly straight forward.

I am a retired embedded systems programmer so may be able to help with some development. If you are making a list of volunteer programmers add me to it. Sounds like fun.

btw... I am betting technology changes enough in the next few years that we will see a lot of abandoned technology products.  Don’t expect the kind of good deal we are getting from Lowe’s from anyone else. Thankfully, Lowe’s has a big customer base they want to keep happy.

Eddie

5 hours ago, thegillion said:

Smart room building - Like what Google does where if devices have "Master Bedroom" in the name it will be added to the "Master Bedroom" group/room/scene

I'm experimenting with the Google Home Hub for that reason -- the "rooms" grouping. To utilize it, I had to initially designate which room each device resided in. It did not group them based on their name. I actually prefer it that way so that I don't have to have long names with the room name embedded.

I would bet most of us already have some version of cloud storage (DropBox, Google Drive, etc.), some are free with an upper limit, some you subscribe to. Is it possible to just send the video clips or stills to a folder we designate in an existing cloud service and not have to take on another expense? I get 1TB of free storage with Office365 which would hold hours of video and thousands of stills. I also have a DropBox and Google Drive accounts which are underutilized. So lots of available space going to waste makes me not want to pay for more storage.

SMS - It is possible to send short messages via email to the SMS service for most carriers? I know I have done it with Sprint and ATT. Would just need to set that email address in Arcus and messages could be delivered directly from the hub as opposed to going through a server.

Couldn't both of these actions be originated locally with no need for a subscription to some service? 

Is your plan to use the current 2G hubs or are you moving on to something with more flexibility?