Proposed solution for smartthings security shortcomings
2 2

8 posts in this topic

This is interesting... Its looks like a collection of smart apps and device handlers that has been put together which solves a lot of the "issues" with the smart home monitor section of smartthings.
I few users recommended it to me on a facebook smartthings user group.
http://smartthings.rboyapps.com/?fbclid=IwAR0JQPSX4JH4wecdtouHNzUB0bAJtFOyPny8LzVkw9hf-yjaeeVostpOddU

Namely:
It handles user code maintenance for locks and alarms, which also lets you set active times and expirations for codes, create use-and-burn codes, etc... (Sounds to be much more flexible than iris was)
It also provides device handlers for keypads and allows for entry/exit delays, and allows you do disarm the alarm from a lock's keypad (but not when manually unlocking, if desired).

Combine this with a netgear LB2120 and freedompop sim for cellular failover and it looks like most of my concerns would be addressed.

I'm still on the fence between doing this, or using a combination of smartthings and ring alarm.

If ring had some way to disarm based on presence I would be all over it. We have become so used to walking out the house and letting the alarm set itself, I think we would end up leaving it disarmed much too often.

31 minutes ago, Smitho said:

I'm still on the fence between doing this, or using a combination of smartthings and ring alarm.

If ring had some way to disarm based on presence I would be all over it. We have become so used to walking out the house and letting the alarm set itself, I think we would end up leaving it disarmed much too often.

I know what you mean. We got so used to the keyfobs just stop working and the keypad wouldn’t respond all the time. We had just bought a v2 keypad and it’s mind blowing how much better it was than v1 really kicking myself for not getting it sooner. Really did enjoy the ease of use iris had. It was a pain but simple. I deal with programming too much at work to want to deal with it at home. 

I will recommend RBoys apps across the board.  When I had SmartThings I used his Lock driver and his advanced thermostat driver.  I believe it’s a one time cost of $30 for lifetime access to his code. 

I will recommend RBoys apps across the board.  When I had SmartThings I used his Lock driver and his advanced thermostat driver.  I believe it’s a one time cost of $30 for lifetime access to his code. 

I agree. I bought his lock code last night and couldn’t be happier, I can’t believe all the things you can do with just the lock. Worked on the keypad device handler a little last night but haven’t fully got it working yet. Think it was 37.99 for lifetime on all his apps except commercial.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:11 PM, Smitho said:

Combine this with a netgear LB2120 and freedompop sim for cellular failover and it looks like most of my concerns would be addressed.

I'm curious as to how this would work. Can you offer some setup details and how it would function in a security setting? Would it replicate IRIS's calling my cell when the alarm goes off?

1 minute ago, GaryS1964 said:

I'm curious as to how this would work. Can you offer some setup details and how it would function in a security setting? Would it replicate IRIS's calling my cell when the alarm goes off?

No, the idea is this would provide a backup internet connection using cellular service if your broadband goes down.
The hub would not know anything was different, it would simply switch from hard wired internet to cellular internet.