Device removal and resetting
3 3

20 posts in this topic

Thanks to Otto for bringing this to my attention but we all need to remember to remove and reset all devices, especially the V1 devices prior to March 31 as we will no longer be able to communicate with the hub after that date.

The devices will need to be reset before they can be paired with another platform. When iris goes dark on March 31 you will no longer be able to remove and reset through iris.

Good idea Scunny!  I was planning to do this also for those "just in case" scenarios.  Who knows, maybe Lowes will release the proprietary code for the V1 hardware so that Smart Things, or another automation system, is able to utilize the hardware.   I planned to hold onto the devices for that reason alone!  

Yes. That's about all you can do with Zigbee devices. If your zwave devices do not reset as expected you have the additional option of using the zwave removal tool from the bottom of the devices menu.  These options will probably cease to exist after 03-31.

1 hour ago, c379776 said:

So you can always do a factory reset right?  What am I missing?

I agree...why would this be different than when I received used device from Lowes that were still paired to someone else's hub and I had to reset them before proceeding?

1 hour ago, c379776 said:

So you can always do a factory reset right?  What am I missing?

Each device has a different reset procedure.  Some you have to press the button 8 times @ 1 push per second.  Some have to be plugged in while holding the button, etc.  And the Gen1 wifi smart plug could not be reset unless first removed from the hub pairing.  At least that's what support told me.  And I could not reset the one in question, so I tend to believe them.

Using the hub just makes it much easier.  Remove device from Iris, and then pull the battery if it has one. 

It would be great if someone takes the time to document all the reset procedures. I wish I could but, you know, "aint' nobody got time for that". 🤣
 I can tell you I have had to google "reset iris _______" on multiple occasions. It seems that there is a youtube video for every device. If they take down their youtube channel and documentation on the iris website it's gonna be a bit harder to find some of that info.

50 minutes ago, rdisom said:

Each device has a different reset procedure.  Some you have to press the button 8 times @ 1 push per second.  Some have to be plugged in while holding the button, etc.  And the Gen1 wifi smart plug could not be reset unless first removed from the hub pairing.  At least that's what support told me.  And I could not reset the one in question, so I tend to believe them.

Using the hub just makes it much easier.  Remove device from Iris, and then pull the battery if it has one. 

Gen 1 wifi? I thought Gen 1 plugs were zigbee and after Gen 2 came out they started selling a stand alone wifi plug that could also be paired to the hub if you wanted to.

I was hoping to continue to use my gen 1 devices with the hub with local control only. I was hoping this would allow me to keep the security stuff going until I get SystronicsRF or Arcus up and running. But maybe I should remove all the excess devices just in case? 

As a side note, a buddy of mine also has a Fiboro hub he keeps just because it can unpair anything it seems. Though I am not sure if it is limited to z-wave only.

5 minutes ago, Wlepse said:

Gen 1 wifi? I thought Gen 1 plugs were zigbee and after Gen 2 came out they started selling a stand alone wifi plug that could also be paired to the hub if you wanted to.

I was hoping to continue to use my gen 1 devices with the hub with local control only. I was hoping this would allow me to keep the security stuff going until I get SystronicsRF or Arcus up and running. But maybe I should remove all the excess devices just in case? 

As a side note, a buddy of mine also has a Fiboro hub he keeps just because it can unpair anything it seems. Though I am not sure if it is limited to z-wave only.

There were 2 wifi smart plugs that looked identical.  The 3rd one is completely different in appearance.  I did not mean Gen 1 as in it worked with the Gen 1 hub, only that it was the first of three generations of the wifi smart plug.

I'm going to ask this here because it is somewhat related to resetting your devices.

I was just on the Lowes website and none of the Iris devices have the link to the documentation/instructions any longer.

I may be wrong but I thought there was a link to a PDF of the instruction sheet for each device. I know I saved one or two of the PDFs over the years but not for all of the devices I have.

yes, I know but I was looking for the original instruction sheets. But mostly wondering why Lowes removed then at this time and didn't wait until 3/31. Seems like a few people might be looking for them between now and then.

Crap! I started removing some devices last night that I didn't think were critical and realized this morning what I had done. A ton of automations were dead. Oh well I guess it was going to be happening sooner or later. But just a warning to the rest of you to leave it on as long as possible. 

12 hours ago, Wlepse said:

Crap! I started removing some devices last night that I didn't think were critical and realized this morning what I had done. A ton of automations were dead. Oh well I guess it was going to be happening sooner or later. But just a warning to the rest of you to leave it on as long as possible. 

I hate to say this, but it's time to move on.  It has been an interesting ride with a disappointing ending.   😥

IMG_2588.JPG    IMG_2589.JPG

ST has the zwave exclusion mode if you select the hub from the hamburger menu. If you're going to ST you should be fine since v1 won't work on ST. bceb021f5cb6a9b1934f108109f0f26d.jpg1f1900b31e129836cd445ef76f82e751.jpga104a7b4651f8ec1b490d146fc4c8e9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk