I'm thinking I'll switch to SmartThings
3 3

28 posts in this topic

Trying to figure out what to do in a PIW (Post Iris World), and I think SmartThings offers the closest experience and most of my devices are supported...and with the gift cards from Lowes, it makes up for the ones that are not.

My most important features are:

Light control by timer (lighting on at a particular time, etc). This is a combination of GE plug-in outdoor, lamp modules (a mix of supported and replacement). One is an OSRAM bulb that was a pain in the early Iris days.

Notification (push or SMS) of water sensors (basement, kitchen cabinets, etc) and temperature out of range (this is mostly what I used contact sensors for, but being all V1 I will have to replace them). Also First Alert CO/Smoke.

App on/off control of one GE module when I'm not home.

I don't use pro monitoring or arm/disarm features. 

I've thought about waiting for Systronics, and I like RasPIs, but I only have a few V1 sensors that I truly need to replace (some were spares or unimportant projects) and I'm looking for a ready to switch and polished solution to eliminate the frustrations I experienced in the early days of Iris.

Sounds like my setup and all those things are very doable.  I switched a coupel of years ago.  The only issue is if you get in now you have to use the new ST app.  They have been "transitioning" to it for a year or so now.  I have yet to be forced to it, but as I understand it, it still has some issues.

8 hours ago, Weather42 said:

Notification (push or SMS) of water sensors (basement, kitchen cabinets, etc) and temperature out of range (this is mostly what I used contact sensors for, but being all V1 I will have to replace them). Also First Alert CO/Smoke.

Wait, I thought that the First Alert Smoke Alarms & Smoke/CO Combo alarms were supported in Smart Things? 

2 hours ago, Dan8785 said:

Wait, I thought that the First Alert Smoke Alarms & Smoke/CO Combo alarms were supported in Smart Things? 

I believe they are. My comment about the unsupported sensors was a reference to the V1 contact sensors.

Trying to figure out what to do in a PIW (Post Iris World), and I think SmartThings offers the closest experience and most of my devices are supported...and with the gift cards from Lowes, it makes up for the ones that are not.
My most important features are:
Light control by timer (lighting on at a particular time, etc). This is a combination of GE plug-in outdoor, lamp modules (a mix of supported and replacement). One is an OSRAM bulb that was a pain in the early Iris days.
App on/off control of one GE module when I'm not home.
I don't use pro monitoring or arm/disarm features. 
I've thought about waiting for Systronics, and I like RasPIs, but I only have a few V1 sensors that I truly need to replace (some were spares or unimportant projects) and I'm looking for a ready to switch and polished solution to eliminate the frustrations I experienced in the early days of Iris.

Also the SmartThings hub will update your Osram bulbs to the latest firmware version if you turn on Zigbee OTA updates on the hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, accessdenied79 said:

Also the SmartThings hub will update your Osram bulbs to the latest firmware version if you turn on Zigbee OTA updates on the hub.

Good to know..thanks. I went ahead and bought the v3 SmartThings hub, a button and a plug module (replacing v1 Iris stuff) on Amazon...figured I'd get started during this cold weekend and see how it works out. 

I have a gen 1 iris system nearly completely. I am using only motion and door sensors and a few smart switches. Two of the smart switches say they are WiFi but were included in what I am getting reimbursed for.

i am thinking I will move to smartthings since I must replace everything anyway.

My main question is does any plug that says it is WiFi work with smartthings?  Is there any safety risk I in purchasing cheapo devices? What specs should I look for when purchasing devices?

After purchasing the necessary stuff for the smartthings system I should have enough left over to get a raspberry pi module and accessories for the systronics system(or maybe arcus) when it hits and maybe figure some way to salvage some of my iris devices.

Eddie

I have been researching wifi smart plugs for a replacement of Iris wifi smart plugs.  As far as I can tell, the only wifi smart plugs to work with Smartthings are the Wemo and iHome  6.  I do not have, nor do I have any intention of going to Smartthings, just info I found while researching.

Do not buy WiFi plugs!!  I’ve not seen any that aren’t beholden to their makers. 

If you’re looking for a cheap SmartPlug look at IKEA. Yes. IKEA.  They have a Zigbee plug (no energy reporting) for around $12. 

Personally I like the new SmartThings plugs. They’re smaller than the Iris plugs and are Zigbee 3 compliant. 

37 minutes ago, IrisUsers said:

Do not buy WiFi plugs!!  I’ve not seen any that aren’t beholden to their makers. 

If you’re looking for a cheap SmartPlug look at IKEA. Yes. IKEA.  They have a Zigbee plug (no energy reporting) for around $12. 

Personally I like the new SmartThings plugs. They’re smaller than the Iris plugs and are Zigbee 3 compliant. 

I don't really have a choice in my use case.  We are completely doing away with any hub at work, and I couldn't reach these locations with zwave or zigbee.  They are outside a separate building and we only reach them with Google wifi pucks.

So I have made my transition (mostly)...a few stories/observations.

1) I bought a V3 hub. I couldn't get the new app (there are two, Legacy or Classic and new, with the new supposed to be the app to integrate all things Samsung) to even get to the point of scanning the hub QR code or providing the WiFi network info for the hub. The app (iOS) kept erroring on a message about no network access or couldn't access server. Tried my phone on WiFi and cellular. After playing for a while, I tried making a new location and that worked right away. It never asked me about address or proximity circle for the default home location, but it did for the one I created. I don't know if this was just a fluke for me or a bigger bug.

2) I started using the new Smartthings app until I got to the OSRAM light bulb I have out front. It would pair, but it didn't show as a device I could do anything with in the new app. I downloaded and tried the Legacy app and it was there. I was able to create a sunrise/sunset rule with the old app. So it seems that there are some devices that are visible to both apps, but can only be operated on in the old. Weird.

3) As a result, I've been doing all my stuff in the Legacy app, and it seems to work fairly well. The Smart Home Monitor in-app app is a little annoying....I keep going to where I think is the place to setup a rule, but it's the basic config. I have to go over to the dashboard icon for subapp to setup rules. And the subapp for the button controller requires multiple instances if you have multiple button controllers. Unless you have a Smartthings button, in which can you can make automation rules out of it. It all works, but it's a little confusing to me as it's not consistent.

4) I am very appreciative of the thread on this forum about removing devices from Iris before moving to another system. I'm so happy I saw that! I think I wouldn't have realized you could do that and skip the whole device reset. Most of my devices (except of course V1 Iris) unpaired from Iris and re-paired in ST fairly easily. I actually like the ST classic app's way of adding devices...

5) I had a single Iris V2 smart plug and a V2 button fob. I had to get custom code from Github for both and use the ST website and load it in as custom device handlers (or so the ST forum told me). It took a bit of Google-ing to figure that all out, but after the first one, it was easy to do the 2nd.

6) There is an extensive ST Community Forum with lots of good discussions and help, and it seems to be well indexed by Google.

I have a few more devices on the way from Amazon to replace Iris V1 stuff.

As soon it gets warmer outside, I plan to replace my faulty motion sensing security floodlamp with a ST compatible motion sensor I saw on Amazon. 

Those of you moving over to SmartThings check this out. Action tiles is cool but costs money. 

There is a free alternative. 

With https://sharptools.io 

You can make a dash board with any tablet. Have tiles made that include switches and media. 

All the weather maps you see are animated. I don’t have my ST hub back yet. I decided to order another and will be switchin to ring. 

This is free! 

944F0BB9-C34B-47D0-B92E-D9BDBD1BDAEB.png

I am almost done transitioning to ST. Was a little apprehensive at first but once I got the hang of it I am glad I made the move. Everything works as it should and there is a ton of info online to search for solutions. ST devices are well made and look good. The only devices I have left on Iris are the Orbit 12 Station controller and the Orbit Hose Controller, plus some V1 devices. I haven't found a solution for those yet.

I would say if you are looking for total flexibility with IFTTT functionality, ST is the way to go.

18 minutes ago, Terk said:

There is a DTH for the Orbit Hose Controller for sure, not sure about the 12 station one as I don't have one of those.

From what I have been able to find on the ST forum the DTH is not very reliable. 

3 hours ago, LobsterBoxed said:

From what I have been able to find on the ST forum the DTH is not very reliable. 

I will find out this coming summer I guess.  I have two of the hose timers haven't had to try them on ST yet.  I, of coarse, had neither connected during the snapshot.  I just moved at the end of last year and wan't going to connect them back until summer rolled around.  

It’s horrible. I maybe got it working twice but it falls back off and you have to disable secure zigbee join so I gave up after a week. I am going to go with some rainbird solenoids and run a transformer to them or something like that. My faucet is on the other side of my deck and the deck is long so it’s a pain to turn the water off/on. The hose controller I will definitely miss, going to have to find another solution before spring, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Orbit controller is supported in Hubitat with native driver support.  One consideration for anyone who wants to keep using this device is to connect it to a Hubitat system then link it to your SmartThings system via the “OtherHub” integration.

Not sure how the functionality compares..  Just wanted to say there is another option.

I replaced my Iris connected Orbit controller with a B-hyve Smart Timer and wasn't impressed.  It wasn't watering according to the scheduling in neither the manual or smart watering modes.  I took it back and exchanged it for a Rachio.  Even though the Rachio was more than twice as much I think it was worth the money.  As an added bonus it connects to Hubitat and is EPA certified so I qualified for $124 rebate through my local Water Conservation District.

SystronicsRF has added support for the following Orbit Sprinklers :
- Orbit 12 Station Irrigation Timer (WT15ZB-12)
- Orbit Hose Water Timer (HT8-ZB)